Best Crabcakes Anywhere?

Closed Thread
Old 03-28-2008, 09:07 PM
Default Re: Best Crabcakes Anywhere?

Just to set the record straight, we tried the crab cakes at Tierra del Sol. I found they were not MD Style and for the amount of crab you get they were pretty expensive. The owner of the Tierra del Sol owned a rest. in Ocean City, MD. I still say they are not MD style Crab Cakes. I have not found anyone with better MD style crab cakes than The Village Eatery. Now if I was back in MD, the story might be a little different.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

We embarked on our "Best Crabcakes in TV" quest today.

Susan, Tom, Hyacinth Bucket, Sidney Lanier, Mr. Brightspot and I began at Ruby Tuesday's followed by Tierra Del Sol.

Joining us at Tierra were Beady, Barefoot, Samhass, and Mr. Samhass. It was so much fun meeting everyone and quite an interesting crabcake experience.

We have elected Hyacinth to report our opinions so you'll have to wait to read our reviews when she posts. Hopefully she'll also include our very last crabcake taste test which I did not mention above...will leave it as a surprise.

We are not finished yet. Sadly Hyacinth and Sidney won't be able to critique The Village Eatery and The Waterfront later this week. By the time we arrived, both restaurants were closed. So, Susan, Tom, Mr. Bright and I will try to make it there before we leave TV next Sunday and report back to you.

Here are some of the pics we took...
Brightspot, Susan, Hyacinth
The Villages Florida

Brightspot and Susan (after licking the plate...lol)
The Villages Florida

L to R: Hyacinth, Beady, Susan, Brightspot, Barefoot, Samhass
The Villages Florida
The Villages Florida

Men L to R: Mr. Samhass, Sidney, Mr. Bright, Tom
The Villages Florida

Around table starting at left: Mr. Bright, Tom, Mr. Samhass, Sidney
The Villages Florida

Old 04-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

bump ;D ;D ;D
Old 04-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Sage

The crabcakes weren't the best but the company was great!! :bigthumbsup:
Old 04-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Gold member

Company was great! :beer2: :beer2:

Crab cakes......well......

I will leave the critique to Hyacinth.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:51 PM
JohnnyM

I just wiped the drool off my keyboard. Thanks so much for the pic's. A great time for a great group.
Old 04-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Dancing Thyme

Thanks for the pictures, you guys looked like you had a ball 040 040

See ya Soon!! The Villages Florida

Kathie The Villages Florida

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 04-10-2008, 04:03 AM
Platinum member

Can't wait for the critique! What a fine looking bunch! Thanks for the pics. :bigthumbsup:
Old 04-11-2008, 03:34 AM
Gold member

Dear Gentle Reader,

In todays digest I will be reviewing two establishments - Ruby Tuesday and Tierra del Sol's crab cakes. In the future I or two of my staff will present our findings at the Village Eatery.

From my perspective the company was EXCELLENT at both restaurants. They were knowledgeable, fair critics and quite observant of any possible flaws in service or epicurean delights.

Ruby Tuesday - Crab cakes were excellent. Lumps of crab, no bread filler. Presentation was appealing to the eye, to the palate exquisite. A joyous experience.

Service - Request Angel, he was excellent. If you know Spanish you can converse with him in Spanish. He performed up to my rigid standards. He was prompt with taking our order, had knowledge of how item was prepared and did not forget anything that we requested.

Overall rating of crab cakes - 5 stars
Value for money - 5 stars
Ambiance 3 1/2 stars
Service - five stars
Cleanliness - 4 stars
Table was clean, no round water stains on table top, flatware and crystal had no water stains. Floors appeared to be clean.

Highly recommend crab cakes.

Tierra del Sol - Crab cakes were primarily all a sticky filler and occasionally I could find a shred of crab - that is if I used a magnifying glass. Presentation was okay. To the palate - horrible. I was left with a sticky feeling on my palate due to stuffing mix that was not cooked properly.

Service - appeared to be non-existing. Request was made for lemons for the water six times. Lemons were never brought. Bread was brought toward the end of the meal and with out butter, French onion soup was ordered by two of our party. Waitperson informed party who ordered soup that the bottom plate was hot and to be careful when she served the soup. When the party took their first sips they were woefully dismayed. The soup was cold. Never warmed up. They spoke with the wait person and soup was warmed. I am assuming in the microwave. Since the soup was originally served with the cheese already melted on it, as if it had just been made, one can only wonder how long it had been in the refrigerator. Need I say more Dear Gentle Reader.

Restaurant was approximately 95% empty and yet service was extremely slow.

Knowledge of crab cakes - I was informed that the crab cakes were primarily pieces of lump of crab. Would have to rate knowledge of crab cakes served here as zero.

Overall rating of crab cakes - no stars
Value for money - no stars
Ambiance 3 1/2 stars
Service - no stars
Cleanliness - 3 stars
Table was clean, no round water stains on table top, flatware and crystal had water stains on them. Did not find any dried food on either the flatware or crystal.

Do not, and I repeat, it is only my humble opinion that you should NOT order the crab cakes. I personally was very upset with what was served to me as compared to what I was informed would be served. My palate - that is another story for a later time.

French onion soup - it is my opinion that you should be aware that the soup may be served cold.

Please be patient with myself and staff. We are extremely busy as you are well aware. We will break away from our schedules as soon as possible.

I feel it is imperative for me to mention that neither restaurant used leaded crystal or sterling flatware.

Yours in Pursuing Epicurean Delights and Pleasure,

Hyacinth Bucket

Old 04-11-2008, 04:31 AM

I have had the crab cakes at Tierra Del Sol, and they are MD style. So far, they are the only MD style crab cakes that I've found. I haven't tried The Village Eatery yet. The owner of Tierra had a place in Ocean City, but was originally from Baltimore.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:50 PM

Ruby Tuesdays has the best crab cakes!!! A little pricey but worth it! :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Old 04-16-2008, 11:40 PM

As a life long Marylander I'm always on the lookout for the best crabcake in Maryland. It's great to see that even after moving to TV the quest continues. I'll be down there in June and will check out your suggestions, thanks--e
Old 04-17-2008, 12:57 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyeddie
As a life long Marylander I'm always on the lookout for the best crabcake in Maryland. It's great to see that even after moving to TV the quest continues. I'll be down there in June and will check out your suggestions, thanks--e
Eddie,
Could you please bring some crabcakes down with you. The ones here suck. Better yet, throw a few bushels of Chesapeake Blues in the car and we can have a feast. Beats the heck out of Crispers.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 04-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Gold member

Muncle if Crazyeddie brings the crabs are all the testers invited to the crab cake fest?

HB
Old 04-17-2008, 02:25 AM
Eternal Member

HB --
If Eddie can afford to just throw in a few bushels of crabs along when he comes, he ain't Crazy Eddie, he's Rich Eddie. Or, as I call him, Sir.

And it's his party. I don't do the invitin'. I'll just hang around outside hoping to get a claw thrown my way.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.