Best fish and chips

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioshooter View Post
Love to find some great NE clam chowder here. The only place I’ve found it is O Shucks, and it’s just average.
Cedar Key, Tony's best clam chowder. Sometimes Publix has Tony's in the can and it is pretty good
Old 06-15-2023, 03:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,383 Times in 2,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
It's amazing that not one person commented on what type of fish is being served. Haddock, Cod, Tilapia, Swai or whatever.

Type of fish can make a big difference.
In UK Cod is/was the most served, then Haddock, and my favorite, Rock Eel/Rock Salmon/Hus/Flake (any one of those names, depending on location of Chippy in UK.)
Anything apart from Cod, was a special order back in my days of going down our local Chippy.

A good Wally went down well with a nice piece of Lilian Gish, and I used to pick them up in the old Haddock and Bloater.
Old 06-15-2023, 03:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
In UK Cod is/was the most served, then Haddock, and my favorite, Rock Eel/Rock Salmon/Hus/Flake (any one of those names, depending on location of Chippy in UK.)
Anything apart from Cod, was a special order back in my days of going down our local Chippy.

A good Wally went down well with a nice piece of Lilian Gish, and I used to pick them up in the old Haddock and Bloater.
How does one translate this into proper English?
Old 06-15-2023, 03:24 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioshooter View Post
Agreed, I like Cody’s and O’Shucks in addition to Havana.
I second O'Shucks on 301 and 44
Old 06-15-2023, 03:26 PM
Default Translations Required

Quote:

Two Bills, I spent 8 yrs in England over 3 work assignments. I know a small part of the slang but certainly not enough to decipher your comment fully.

Huss/Rock salmon/rock eel/huss I have heard and we called sand sharks or dog fish.

Lillian Gish may be fried potatoes

Wally may be an insult or a large gherkin (dill pickle)

During one of my assignments, there was a surplus of farmed salmon and actually atlantic salmon was reportedly cheaper than cod. The Chippy's served a lot of salmon but I preferred the cod.

Interesting memories. I never got the nerve to eat conger eel that I know of.

Cheers!
Old 06-15-2023, 06:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Is it fried with or without the skin?
Old 06-15-2023, 07:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Actually just over 3000 miles and who knows they might even deliver too you.

Would expect you to give me the mushy peas as a finders fee.
3000 miles? Just did a search. 4344 miles Orlando to Heathrow. Noted all of the responses. Have not found good Fish and Chips in TV. Usually mystery soft fish is what we have found. Hate to say it, but best fish I have found is at Culvers and they advertise that it is cod.
Old 06-15-2023, 07:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
I don’t know what area you’re in but south of 44 has 2 options. Fenney Grill has good Fish and Chips but I always get the potato chips because they’re homemade. I’ve never had the fries. Or you could go to McGrady’s Pub at Sawgrass which even comes with mushy peas but I’m not sure about the fries.
Tried Fenney Grill in April. The fish and chips was pretty bad. Also the "farm to table" vegetables they served on the side were basically the frozen peas and carrots mix like they sell at Publix in the frozen section. I heard it "used to be good" according to some people.

In Wildwood, O'Shucks serves a nice Fish and chips, pretty consistent and usually you get a nice sized piece.

Best in the Villages I had was at Evans Prairie one night, was exceptional unlike much of the food they serve at FMK restaurants.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
This is why I am asking. Spent quite a bit of money on Vilages restaurant food only to leave it on the table. Some restaurants seem to be hit or miss while others are just not up to par. Am I too picky? Is it just me?
yup.....the consensus is that the seafood in florida, is terrible. and so is the Chinese food..........without naming names of restaurants, the one in wildwood, on 301?, near 44? did that a reopen? they seen to be shut regularly for violations....
Old 06-16-2023, 04:35 AM
Send a message via AIM to JudyLife

Yep, mushy peas is a British thing & in my humble opinion if you want truly good fish & chips you’ll need to come over here to the U.K. and get the genuine article. 👍
Old 06-16-2023, 04:43 AM

Metro diner has good fish and chips
Old 06-16-2023, 04:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swooner View Post
Been there, done that. Just awful!
Really? I really like Fenney Grill. I’m shocked to see so many people who don’t like it! Though, I haven’t been there in quite some time. It used to be owned and run by TV but maybe a year or so ago someone else took over.
I’ve heard really good things about the McCrackens Irish Pub in Leesburg but haven’t been there yet.

Last edited by Kelevision; 06-16-2023 at 04:55 AM.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyLife View Post
Yep, mushy peas is a British thing & in my humble opinion if you want truly good fish & chips you’ll need to come over here to the U.K. and get the genuine article. 👍
I heard the Windsors are cutting back on expenses. Seeing that I will not be able to stay with them, can I stay at your home? I'll buy you all the fish and chips you can eat! (just kidding!-One can only wish to be in the UK)
Old 06-16-2023, 04:58 AM

Lopez Country Club has decent fish and chips, as does Costal Del Mar in Spanish Springs. And believe it or not, Margarita Republic can have good fish tacos depending on the mood of the kitchen on a given night. That said, fish and chips is a bit like pizza...what you like may be different from someone else's likes.
Old 06-16-2023, 05:51 AM

I had Fish & Chip some months back at Evan's Priere(sp). The fish was great as was the fries. I do't know if it was a special or a regular item. BTW, what are mushy peas?
Closed Thread

Tags
batter, fish, great, chips, beer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.