Best “Value” restaurant within the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2023, 05:50 AM
Veteran member

And if you’re a veteran the first and third mondays no matter what you get is half price. I have been goung since it opened and this past Monday line was out the door onto the patio.
Old 11-08-2023, 06:31 AM

Our TooJays experience is a bit different. The one in LSL is terrible! Loaded latkes weren't good. Burger sent back twice for medium cooking.
The one in Brownwood is better imo.
Bonefish and value shouldn't be in the same sentence lol.
We like prima at lunch. They have a pick two selection that is pretty good and filling.
Old 11-08-2023, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Fiesta Grande Mexican Grill
Yes if you want to pay $17 or $18 for enchiladas or other entree’ since their big price jump last spring. I don’t !!

But their “casa” beef nachos feeds two for $11. Extra charge for sour crème and even for onions.
Old 11-08-2023, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
As an offshoot to the “Great Restaurant” thread, I would be interested in people’s opinions on what are the best value restaurants that are golf cart accessible within the Villages. I’m not looking for great restaurants, or the most expensive places, but rather restaurants where one can get a consistently decent quality meal at a reasonable price relative to the quality. Take out availability is always a plus because we prefer to eat in our birdcage, sitting by the pool, and watching the sunset over the wildlife preserve. My top choice is biased by my food preference, which would be take out sushi from Sakura.
Bravos Pizza, Piesanos, Culver’s, Fiesta Grande, Tequila (formerly Naldos)
Old 11-08-2023, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioshooter View Post
Cody’s, Brownwood only.
Yes…very good. I enjoy the blackened haddock with black beans & rice, along with the house salad. The rolls and flavored butter is delicious!
Old 11-08-2023, 06:59 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

KOYAME…. fantastic food and plenty of it!
Old 11-08-2023, 07:02 AM

Chicken Salad Chicks for taste, value and cleanliness!
Old 11-08-2023, 07:07 AM
Default Best restaurants Golf Cart Accessible

Personally, I prefer McAllisters in Brownwood over Toojays. The Japanese restaurant in Colony Cottage is pretty good, as are the Italian and Mexican places also in Colony Cottage. PDQ is pretty good for a sandwich, I like the honey butter chicken sandwich.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:17 AM

For fast food we like Culver’s. Great salads, burger baskets, and of course, frozen desserts.

Lopez for a little nicer to dine-in. Love the patty melt, mushroom Brie soup, and salads. Happy hour pricing for cocktails too.

Cody’s in LSL. Fish-n-chips, steak salad, chicken dishes, good sandwiches….or “handhelds” as they’re being called these days. 2-4-1 drinks.

Outback has good ribs, OK steaks, and good sandwiches.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:21 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

I know what my fave would be, but I'm reluctant to share. Don't want to fall victim to what Yogi Berra said about his favorite restaurant..."Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."
Old 11-08-2023, 07:33 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,863 Times in 786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I will add the LSL TooJays has never been a disappointment, we stop once a week when coming back from golf in the Northern areas.

Brownwood TooJays has been very hit or miss. Last 3 visits with 4-6 people, food was lukewarm, scrambled eggs, still uncooked on the bottom, bagel a little burnt. Above all service has been a very unhappy employee. Yes we have spoken to management, that’s why we gave them 3 chances. Off our list for breakfast for a few months.
For me, a good deli means a great hot pastrami on rye and great onion rings. My favorite was the Carnegie Deli across from Carnegie Hall in NYC. Last month I took a friend whose favorite is Katz’s Deli in NYC to TooJays in Lake Sumter Landing. The description of the hot pastrami sandwich says “piled sky high.” No. It was a small roll of dry, fat-free, barely-flavored pastrami on small slices of rye. NOT “sky high.” I guess the sky is falling. We were both disappointed. The waitress said the pastrami was weighed before heating, so they were all the same. That was her first time, but it was the third lousy hot pastrami I’ve had there. I’m done with TooJays. Last time I had the onion rings, the onions were too juicy with water in them and had little onion flavor. No more. I’m crossing it off the list. The latkes were good, though.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:38 AM

Try Sammy Joe’s (Mulberry Grove Plaza) pizza special on Sunday. One large pizza with two toppings for $9.99. Also, the best pizza in The Villages.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:42 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmitth View Post
Try Sammy Joe’s (Mulberry Grove Plaza) pizza special on Sunday. One large pizza with two toppings for $9.99. Also, the best pizza in The Villages.
Oh yeah. the inspector also visited Sammy Joe’s restaurant at Mulberry Grove Plaza.

The inspector issued a “stop sale” order after finding a “meatball sitting directly on soiled shelf in reach in cooler in cookline,” according to the report. An employee discarded the meatball.

Flying insects were found in the kitchen and were traced to a back door which was open due to a delivery. The presence of insects was noted to a be a repeat violation.

There was French toast egg mix at 60 degrees rather than the required 41 degrees. The inspector found packages of pork thawing in a bucket in a mop sink.

Sammy Joe’s is located at Mulberry Grove Plaza.
The inspector also watched as a female employee touched her apron, wiped her face and continued cooking eggs without washing her hands. Meanwhile a male employee touched his pants and continued cooking while wearing gloves that had not been changed.

The exterior of a pizza oven was oversoiled with grease buildup and a shelf under a pizza-making table was soiled with debris. There were also cutting boards soiled with debris.

The violations at Sammy Joe’s were also serious enough to require a followup inspection
Old 11-08-2023, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
As an offshoot to the “Great Restaurant” thread, I would be interested in people’s opinions on what are the best value restaurants that are golf cart accessible within the Villages. I’m not looking for great restaurants, or the most expensive places, but rather restaurants where one can get a consistently decent quality meal at a reasonable price relative to the quality. Take out availability is always a plus because we prefer to eat in our birdcage, sitting by the pool, and watching the sunset over the wildlife preserve. My top choice is biased by my food preference, which would be take out sushi from Sakura.
Aside from disagree about Sakura, as they fail in the technique department in a huge way. The best value in my mind is where your dinner becomes a 2fer, as in 1 meal 2 days. If that is what you are looking for then it will not be the main restaurants in TV. I'd hardly call most of them "best deal", which I'm sorry but that does include many that have been listed.

The golf cart stipulation cuts off some potential winners also. So with that said your ability to achieve the goal is handicapped. Also not knowing how you eat, how much you eat, etc... handicaps the answer. I'll just throw out there VKI and MezzaLuna. VKI because the sit downs aka hibachi and plated are good enough for 2 meals and the quality is rather excellent. Mezza for the same reason.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Coastal Del Mar, Spanish Springs. Maybe a step or two up from "budget" restaurant pricing but great food and excellent service as well as value for money. When there for dinner I've ordered their "seafood platter" (I think that is what it is called) and the waiter warns you in advance that it is "big". Well-prepared, hot and tasty.
Closed Thread

Tags
restaurants, quality, villages, top, eat

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.