Best “Value” restaurant within the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2023, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
For me, a good deli means a great hot pastrami on rye and great onion rings. My favorite was the Carnegie Deli across from Carnegie Hall in NYC. Last month I took a friend whose favorite is Katz’s Deli in NYC to TooJays in Lake Sumter Landing. The description of the hot pastrami sandwich says “piled sky high.” No. It was a small roll of dry, fat-free, barely-flavored pastrami on small slices of rye. NOT “sky high.” I guess the sky is falling. We were both disappointed. The waitress said the pastrami was weighed before heating, so they were all the same. That was her first time, but it was the third lousy hot pastrami I’ve had there. I’m done with TooJays. Last time I had the onion rings, the onions were too juicy with water in them and had little onion flavor. No more. I’m crossing it off the list. The latkes were good, though.
My old boss traveled to NYC twice a month. Every trip one special suitcase for food from Carnegie or Katz, everything from bagels, pastrami, corned beef, bread, and all the fixings. One really can’t replace really good deli once you have had some of the best.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:32 AM

For consistently good food, excellent service and all at a reasonable price, you can’t beat Olive Garden! Been eating there for 10 years and never a single problem!
Old 11-08-2023, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Chipotle. Good for takeout.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
As an offshoot to the “Great Restaurant” thread, I would be interested in people’s opinions on what are the best value restaurants that are golf cart accessible within the Villages. I’m not looking for great restaurants, or the most expensive places, but rather restaurants where one can get a consistently decent quality meal at a reasonable price relative to the quality. Take out availability is always a plus because we prefer to eat in our birdcage, sitting by the pool, and watching the sunset over the wildlife preserve. My top choice is biased by my food preference, which would be take out sushi from Sakura.
I like the biggie bag at Wendy's in Spanish Springs.
Wendy's fries are better than McD.
The location at Spanish has better staff than many Wendy's
Old 11-08-2023, 11:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo cruze View Post
I like the biggie bag at Wendy's in Spanish Springs.
Wendy's fries are better than McD.
The location at Spanish has better staff than many Wendy's
Culvers fries are better than Wendy's, McD, and BK.
Old 11-08-2023, 12:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Chipotle. Good for takeout.
We like Chipotle, but weren’t aware there is one that is golf cart accessible. Where is it?
Old 11-08-2023, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
Culvers fries are better than Wendy's, McD, and BK.
Wife likes Culver's. I prefer Wendy's.
Once at Culver's drive-thru, I ordered a shake. CUSTARD! Can't stand custard. There should be a warning sign, " BEWARE! WE SERVE CUSTARD!
Old 11-08-2023, 12:27 PM

For fast food I do Culver's or Huey Magoo's.

I order kid's menu from Culvers and @ $7 it's just enough food for me.

At Huey's the 7 piece chicken is $13 but I save half for the next day. Oven reheat @ 350 for 7-8 min is just right.
Old 11-08-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Wife likes Culver's. I prefer Wendy's.
Once at Culver's drive-thru, I ordered a shake. CUSTARD! Can't stand custard. There should be a warning sign, " BEWARE! WE SERVE CUSTARD!
Old 11-08-2023, 01:56 PM

Toojays!
Old 11-08-2023, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrmauu View Post
The Lighthouse Point at LSL has the best lunch value around. Look at their basket specials. Combine that with happy hour drink prices and the value can’t be beat. Good food and service as well.
The LIGHTHOUSE is OK if you are outside. Inside is NOISY...so much so you cannot carry on a conversation at your table.
Old 11-08-2023, 02:51 PM

My wife and I love to go to "Moe's" on 441/27, near Rolling Acres Road. We order the "Homewrecker Bowl" with steak and split it. They will build your burrito using all of the items that you select, plus they have a salsa bar, so you can top it any way you want. It's a great value for a very large and healthy meal. Plus they will serve you all of the fresh chips that you want.
Old 11-08-2023, 03:16 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Bonefish.
Another vote for Bonefish for a nice reasonably priced "sit down". Had a few disappointments over the years, but very few. We prefer P.D.Q. and Chi-Fl-A if faced with having "fast food" Tried the independent restaurant Alfie's in the tiny plaza on 441/27 just past Oakwood (opposite side of the highway from Oakwood grill). Not a great lover of my seafood deep-fried, but I did try it there due to so many "raves" we've heard. Loved our meals. Sparkling clean, VERY plain, no decor or "atmosphere" but some of, if not, the best deep fried food I've had (they do also fix items grilled, blackened, etc.). Don't do much carryout as no matter how carefully packaged, it is just never as hot and not big fans of "micro-waving", so our one choice if doing full meal carryout would be the Oakwood BBQ. baked potato steaming hot even taking it out, etc. Looking forward to Portillo's as another acceptable "middle of the road" for sit down or take out at very reasonable prices. That's my run down...LOL !
Old 11-08-2023, 03:27 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixir34 View Post
Yes if you want to pay $17 or $18 for enchiladas or other entree’ since their big price jump last spring. I don’t !!

But their “casa” beef nachos feeds two for $11. Extra charge for sour crème and even for onions.
Onions, lol, ONIONS, lol, I wonder if there is anything untouched by the "pandemic", it even increased the price of growing onions so much they now come as an extra charge...LOL ! When I reflect on that, wouldn't it seem as if the number of people who reject onions on their burgers, pizzas, salads, and nachos "even out" the number who want them, making it possible to add this condiment with out an extra charge ? Just a little analytical thinking on my part, perhaps onions are a very expensive crop to grow commercially !
Old 11-08-2023, 04:19 PM

My friend and I go to Legacy by the pool area on Sundays. Sunday, they have BOGO hamburgers with a side. Pay for one and you both get a really good burger. Also, the mixed drinks are $3.50 which is also a great deal. They have other BOGO days, but I don't know what they are. They have large fans, so it doesn't get hot and also have heaters for the colder nights.
Closed Thread

Tags
restaurants, quality, villages, top, eat

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.