Red Sauce in Sumter? Never Again!

Closed Thread
Old 03-10-2022, 07:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts
Default Red Sauce in Sumter? Never Again!

I had the weirdest restaurant experience I can remember, at Red Sauce last night.

A friend drove down from Lecanto, to see a singer he knew, who was singing at Red Sauce last night.

We were seated at a table, without a view of the "stage" area. Before ordering, we noticed the table next to us was empty and had been, for 30+ minutes. As that table had a view of the entertainment, we asked our server if we could move to that table. After checking the Reservation List, he came back and told us the table was available and moved us.

1/2 way through our meal (45 minutes after we had sat down), the "host" came over to us and insisted we move from the table, as it was "reserved". We were 1/2 way through our meals. He didn't even do the "moving", we did.

In what universe is that acceptable hospitality service in a restaurant?

As an aside to the incompetent management, my friend's steak dinner was OK, my Chicken Piccata tasted like a "Stouffer's Frozen Dinner", not fully microwaved. I sent it back once, but when they still couldn't manage to do any better, I gave up.
Old 03-10-2022, 07:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Strange , yes, but my guess is the waiter should not have moved you in the first place. Sorry you did not like your meals. Redsauce is one of our favorite restaurants and is ranked very high on review sites. Hope you find another restaurant to your liking.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I had the weirdest restaurant experience I can remember, at Red Sauce last night.

A friend drove down from Lecanto, to see a singer he knew, who was singing at Red Sauce last night.

We were seated at a table, without a view of the "stage" area. Before ordering, we noticed the table next to us was empty and had been, for 30+ minutes. As that table had a view of the entertainment, we asked our server if we could move to that table. After checking the Reservation List, he came back and told us the table was available and moved us.

1/2 way through our meal (45 minutes after we had sat down), the "host" came over to us and insisted we move from the table, as it was "reserved". We were 1/2 way through our meals. He didn't even do the "moving", we did.

As an aside to the incompetent management, my friend's steak dinner was OK, my Chicken Piccata tasted like a "Stouffer's Frozen Dinner", not fully microwaved. I sent it back once, but when they still couldn't manage to do any better, I gave up.
I would have insisted on speaking to the manager before moving.
Old 03-10-2022, 08:39 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Possibly some political overtones were overheard to warrant the seating & service disruption? Just saying
Old 03-10-2022, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Possibly some political overtones were overheard to warrant the seating & service disruption? Just saying
Could be but could also be that the "host" decided he was all powerful.
Old 03-10-2022, 09:18 AM
Veteran member

We have only been to LSL RedSauce a few times, but each time we have enjoyed the food, the drinks, the vey helpful staff, and been impressed with the value and quality of what we ordered and how it was priced.

Sorry your experience was dampened. Clearly there was a comms issue somewhere - either the wait staff accommodating your request when they should not have, or management reversing it when they should have let it go.

Either way, I hope you'll try it again sometime and have a better experience.
Chino 1960's to 1976, Torrance, CA 1976-1983, 87-91, 94-98 / Frederick Co., MD 1983-1987/ Valencia, CA 1991-1994/ Brea, CA 1998-2002/ Dana Point, CA 2002-2019/ Knoxville, TN 2019-Current/ FL 2022-Current
Old 03-10-2022, 09:31 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Wonder what would have happened if you just said; NO, Not moving???
Old 03-10-2022, 09:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Did you tell the host that the server had allowed you to change tables? If so, I would have refused to move. Is it possible that the host wasn't aware that the server had allowed you to move, and assumed that you had moved on your own?
Old 03-10-2022, 09:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICH1 View Post
Why sure, a new conspiracy theory to be aware of while eating out in TV.
Old 03-10-2022, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:

no matter how flat the pancake is, there's always two sides to it....

I bused tables while going to school for years and have a little insight into the challenges that a host/hostess faces

the OP's description sounded like it may have been just him/her and a friend...so, did they ask to move from a table for two over to a table set for 4 or 6? (that's never going to green lighted if the restaurant is busy, or expecting to be)

It's difficult to believe that the waitstaff had actually talked to the host and received an okay to move the couple and then quite a while later, the host decided to reverse their decision and ask them to move in the middle of eating...that just doesn't happen...I suspect that the table shift may have been made without the Host's specific knowledge...and they assumed the table was still available when a reservation came in.

I've been to Red Sauce, can't say that I'm a big fan, but it's run by professionals, IMHO, there's a lot more to this story than we were told by the OP
Old 03-10-2022, 10:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
no matter how flat the pancake is, there's always two sides to it....

I bused tables while going to school for years and have a little insight into the challenges that a host/hostess faces

the OP's description sounded like it may have been just him/her and a friend...so, did they ask to move from a table for two over to a table set for 4 or 6? (that's never going to green lighted if the restaurant is busy, or expecting to be)

It's difficult to believe that the waitstaff had actually talked to the host and received an okay to move the couple and then quite a while later, the host decided to reverse their decision and ask them to move in the middle of eating...that just doesn't happen...I suspect that the table shift may have been made without the Host's specific knowledge...and they assumed the table was still available when a reservation came in.

I've been to Red Sauce, can't say that I'm a big fan, but it's run by professionals, IMHO, there's a lot more to this story than we were told by the OP
Actually, almost anything is possible. Waiter may have gotten the ok to move the party, and the reservation was made after the move was made. We may likely never know what actually happened, but reserved or not, it was improper for the host to ask a party to move while they are eating. Many are the times I have been told that the previous party is still occupying the table and we could wait or be seated elsewhere. Somewhere in this scenario there was a break in communication. The host job is to try and accommodate all parties, not turn out parties in the middle of their meal.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:11 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Could be but could also be that the "host" decided he was all powerful.
More likely the host was the recipient of steady gratuities, from the "regulars" he gave our table to. (BTW, both parties were twosomes. We were eating dinner, the other twosome was having drinks.)
Old 03-10-2022, 11:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,672 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
More likely the host was the recipient of steady gratuities, from the "regulars" he gave our table to. (BTW, both parties were twosomes. We were eating dinner, the other twosome was having drinks.)
Thanks for the info. Regardless of the "gratuity" comment, the manager should have been called for a ruling as to you being removed from the table. If manager says leave the table, then also would leave the restaurant and not pay the bill. Manager's other option would be to leave us to finish the meal and offer something for the interruption and inconvenience.
If any of the original post is true (no reason to doubt it), then the host failed to handle the situation in a proper and gracious manner so both parties felt appreciated and enjoyed their experience.
Better luck at your next dinner out.
Old 03-10-2022, 12:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Thanks for the info. Regardless of the "gratuity" comment, the manager should have been called for a ruling as to you being removed from the table. If manager says leave the table, then also would leave the restaurant and not pay the bill. Manager's other option would be to leave us to finish the meal and offer something for the interruption and inconvenience.
If any of the original post is true (no reason to doubt it), then the host failed to handle the situation in a proper and gracious manner so both parties felt appreciated and enjoyed their experience.
Better luck at your next dinner out.
You're 100% right. I oversee a couple of restaurants that are in our company's portfolio and our policy is; if a food item is returned to kitchen for any reason or a guest has to be inconvenienced for any reason at all, the Manager visits the table to make amends. To do anything less than that, is simply poor service and in general, that's what restaurants have to sell ... service.
Old 03-10-2022, 01:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

I would have refused to move. If they insist they can tear up the bill
Closed Thread

Tags
table, sauce, red, back, 1/2

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.