Bluefin

Closed Thread
Old 09-23-2018, 09:03 AM
Default Bonnie!

Bonnie is with God and all his angels!
Old 09-23-2018, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Heard good things from people who had eaten there and know good fish. The gist is that the fish is fresh daily and of high quality. Having used Bonefish as my only fish source here (sad because this is Florida) that is excellent news.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 09-23-2018, 01:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Heard good things from people who had eaten there and know good fish. The gist is that the fish is fresh daily and of high quality. Having used Bonefish as my only fish source here (sad because this is Florida) that is excellent news.

And as much as I like Bonefish, I've had watery Chilean sea bass there, indicating it spent too much time in the freezer.
Old 09-28-2018, 08:19 AM

Went to Bluefin yesterday about 4:45 PM. The place was just starting to get busy with the dinner service. Excellent service and good food. We both had a drink and then shared a bottle of reasonably priced wine. Oysters Rockefeller and Conch Fritters were the appetizers and Swordfish and Scallops the entrees. Everything was very fresh. This restaurant is not inexpensive when you add the liquor and wine but if they maintain the quality of both service and food they will see us a couple times each month. I hope there are enough patrons that feel similarly to make this a profitable venture for the owners. This restaurant and Rose Plantation have raised the bar for " fine " dining in The Villages.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,520 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf2140 View Post
The problem is that the villagers want to pay $15.00 for meal! Don't blame the restaurants.
If I had to pay $15 every time I dined out at a local non-chain restaurant I'd be broke. Or I'd have to cook every night instead, and never go out at all.

I can get a fried OR broiled fillet of sole, with a side of slaw and onion rings (they do their own breading at the store) and a soda for under $10.

Two 1/2 pound hot buttered lobster rolls and a side of fries to share is $40.

Does the Villages have a local dog/burger/seafood joint like that? I noticed prices of stuff were typically higher in TV than here in Connecticut, which surprised me since it's supposedly marketed more for people on a fixed income (not exclusively, but more toward).

I get that they wouldn't survive on EarlyBird specials at a place where the vast majority of customers would be EarlyBirds... but you'd think there'd be a happy medium - slightly lower prices all the time, with no - or fewer - specials.
Old 09-28-2018, 10:15 AM
Sage

This restaurant appears to be seeking customers with a different niche--hope they make it looking for a little more variety as far as fish--, it appears when you remove shrimp & scallops--there are too few real fish entrees, cod, salmon,haddock and ahi tuna are run of the mill--mahi, pompano, sea bass, grouper, red fish are local FL fish--wish they had them on their menu as well as raw oysters on the half shell
Old 09-28-2018, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Checked the menu. No grouper, red snapper, sea bass, or mahi-mahi. Those were the fresh fish items I was hoping for. It has now moved to an appetizer/lunch destination on my chart. I'll check out their specials when I go.

Old 09-28-2018, 12:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
This restaurant appears to be seeking customers with a different niche--hope they make it looking for a little more variety as far as fish--, it appears when you remove shrimp & scallops--there are too few real fish entrees, cod, salmon,haddock and ahi tuna are run of the mill--mahi, pompano, sea bass, grouper, red fish are local FL fish--wish they had them on their menu as well as raw oysters on the half shell
I think I am correct that you and the admiral haven't dined there yet.
Old 09-28-2018, 12:49 PM
Sage

That is correct, checked out the menu online--will call before try the place out--and I will ask about specials as it stands now the only thing on their menu that interest us is the 21/2 lb lobster--hope it becomes a standard item--their standard fish entrees are not our cup of tea

IMHO too much of the menu is kinda similar to Fred's other restaurants--which we have stopped going to

Last edited by Chatbrat; 09-28-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 01:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
If I had to pay $15 every time I dined out at a local non-chain restaurant I'd be broke. Or I'd have to cook every night instead, and never go out at all.

I can get a fried OR broiled fillet of sole, with a side of slaw and onion rings (they do their own breading at the store) and a soda for under $10.

Two 1/2 pound hot buttered lobster rolls and a side of fries to share is $40.

Does the Villages have a local dog/burger/seafood joint like that? I noticed prices of stuff were typically higher in TV than here in Connecticut, which surprised me since it's supposedly marketed more for people on a fixed income (not exclusively, but more toward).

I get that they wouldn't survive on EarlyBird specials at a place where the vast majority of customers would be EarlyBirds... but you'd think there'd be a happy medium - slightly lower prices all the time, with no - or fewer - specials.
The high lighted above is a personal assumption...yours/somebody else.
I have never seen or experienced a marketing effort toward those on a fixed income.

Fixed income is an ambiguous term which most assume to be synonymous with low income.
There are many here in TV on a fixed income that are wealthy by comparison.
Old 09-28-2018, 02:00 PM
Sage

Do you think people working for a living, providing for a family are better off that the so called "fixed income" retirees-- there nothing stopping anyone who needs more income from finding a job in TV--
Old 09-28-2018, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
Went to Bluefin yesterday about 4:45 PM. The place was just starting to get busy with the dinner service. Excellent service and good food. We both had a drink and then shared a bottle of reasonably priced wine. Oysters Rockefeller and Conch Fritters were the appetizers and Swordfish and Scallops the entrees. Everything was very fresh. This restaurant is not inexpensive when you add the liquor and wine but if they maintain the quality of both service and food they will see us a couple times each month. I hope there are enough patrons that feel similarly to make this a profitable venture for the owners. This restaurant and Rose Plantation have raised the bar for " fine " dining in The Villages.
Happy to read your review. We can't wait to try Bluefin.
Old 09-28-2018, 05:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
Lot of background in the restaurant business, family backed the Glouster House in NYC, next door to the Helmsley Palace--know good seafood and the seafood scams
Gloucester House was great -- is it still around?
Old 09-28-2018, 06:02 PM
Sage

It went under, our last meal there was $1500. party of 6, the Maitre D' asked " are we going to be open?" I said we'll see--they closed - got a couple hundred pounds of lobster and good booze before the doors closed --that evening we took a private elevator to the Rainbow Room-amazing sight snow flowing up

Miss those days- can't do that lifestyle any more
Old 09-30-2018, 02:39 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Stopped for dinner last night. Inside and out was full with a wait of about half hour.

Started with Coquille St Jacques, the four scallops were tender, and the sherry crean sauce was not overwhelming. Crostini was crisp, but could have used a couple more to make use of the mushroom and Swiss topping. Dish came out bubbly hot.

Coconut Haddock with a mild beurre blanc was good. Fish was moist, the mango salsa and dark rum did not over take the fish, coconut was not noticeable.

The asparagus, green beans, and Brussel sprouts were flavorful. I could make a meal out of the veggies.

Swordfish was thick, and cooked perfectly, and dish came out hot. Couple of nice wines offered.

Wait staff is well trained, went over specials, the menu, and answered questions with enthusiasm. Did not have any dessert just no room but maybe next time. It’s about time someone realizes that this is a community that enjoys well prepared food, with good service.
Closed Thread

Tags
bluefin, review, bonnie, sighed, thought

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.