Bluefin disappointment

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2023, 07:39 PM
Default Bluefin disappointment

Hate to bash on line but I received no response to my lengthy email. We went Saturday night with total of 8, wife’s fish came out cold and raw, came out warm and raw the 2nd time, 2 of us had raw scallops in our pescatore and 2 , yes 2 mussels per plate. Missing napkins and silverware came out after the food, bread came out when entrees were done or sent back. Manager comped the raw fish and gave us a gift card, which is fine, he made an effort. It’s just frustrating that we pay good money yet are disappointed time and againat so many restaurants. For now our weekly excursions as a group are going to be at our homes, everyone chipping in a dish. We will eat much better
Old 02-28-2023, 07:45 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts

I am learning that even at the “better” restaurants in TV, that service and quality can vary wildly from visit-to visit. Going out is more for convenience, ambiance and service. If I want an incredible meal, I cook it myself.
Old 02-28-2023, 08:33 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt57 View Post
Hate to bash on line but I received no response to my lengthy email. We went Saturday night with total of 8, wife’s fish came out cold and raw, came out warm and raw the 2nd time, 2 of us had raw scallops in our pescatore and 2 , yes 2 mussels per plate. Missing napkins and silverware came out after the food, bread came out when entrees were done or sent back. Manager comped the raw fish and gave us a gift card, which is fine, he made an effort. It’s just frustrating that we pay good money yet are disappointed time and againat so many restaurants. For now our weekly excursions as a group are going to be at our homes, everyone chipping in a dish. We will eat much better
Restaurants are hit and miss
Old 02-28-2023, 08:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,039 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
It seems like most of the restaurants in TV are owned by FMK Group (Harvest, Blue Fin, Chop House, etc.). They seem to have found a business model that works well in TV. Average food, marginal staffing ... but they dress it up with white tablecloths and folks think it's going to be fine dining.

The food is a small step up from Cody's or Outback, the price is a big step up.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:38 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Had some really outstanding meals there, and some really poorly prepared ones too, similar to what you described. I really think it's another sign of the times. Does anyone else remember when your favorite steak house, or sea food house, almost NEVER changed employees ? From our dating years until our children were nearly high school age, we frequented our favorite steak house, ordered our favorite filet mignon almost every time, had the same waitress who, at the time, had been with them 23 YEARS already, and the food preparation and quality never changed. Also has a favorite sea food house, same thing, always the host, always had same waiter, things are just not like that any more. Those days a long gone. I'm finally beginning to understand what I NEVER understood... how my grandmother would speak so longingly of the "old days".... LOL ! NOW I realize how nice it was to go into one of the major department stores and know the elevator operator, even in a big city ! How nice it was to know the mail person, the man at the filling station who pumped the gasoline AND cleaned your windows, etc. Never appreciated those things enough at the time I guess. "Ray", the mail man, always a nice smile, a few words of chatting, never received mail that actually belonged to someone else.. some good things about those "old days" !

Last edited by Pairadocs; 02-28-2023 at 09:41 PM. Reason: addition
Old 02-28-2023, 09:51 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
It seems like most of the restaurants in TV are owned by FMK Group (Harvest, Blue Fin, Chop House, etc.). They seem to have found a business model that works well in TV. Average food, marginal staffing ... but they dress it up with white tablecloths and folks think it's going to be fine dining.

Can't argue with your analysis, you sure summed it up perfectly, and it WORKS !
The alternative to not accepting that mediocrity means driving to another town, location, and still finding more of the same, so the "formula" works, is obviously profitable, and in our community, I think convenience is a big factor too !
Old 03-01-2023, 04:29 AM
Default FMK restaurants

Quote:

I had a bad experience at another FMK restaurant. I had to email twice to the restaurant and received no response. Maybe the owner should make it a point to read e mails sent to his restaurants.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:46 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Large groups are hard on restaurants. There is only 1 perfect thing.
Old 03-01-2023, 07:48 AM

Quote:

And it will probably get worse as no one wants to work!
Old 03-01-2023, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

I've gone to Bluefin a few times. Service has always been topnotch, the food (except for one time when the vegetable side resembled mush) the same. I certainly wouldn't judge them on just one visit.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:

I have to disagree. I have had excellent meals at Chop, Harvest and Coastal. Comparing that food to Cody's crap is absurd.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker View Post
And it will probably get worse as no one wants to work!
The FMK restaurants are fully staffed. People are looking for good paying jobs.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,719 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Large groups are hard on restaurants. There is only 1 perfect thing.
Turners in Leesburg has the right idea. They only accept parties of 4 or less. I especially don't like it when you are sitting at a table for 2 and then a large group shows up, and the restaurant staff starts moving tables together to form a large table for 8 or more people right next to a party of 2. This should never be done, but many restaurants will do it.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:43 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Turners in Leesburg has the right idea. They only accept parties of 4 or less. I especially don't like it when you are sitting at a table for 2 and then a large group shows up, and the restaurant staff starts moving tables together to form a large table for 8 or more people right next to a party of 2. This should never be done, but many restaurants will do it.
Large groups are always loud trying to talk to friends 3 to 4 chairs away. Don't mean this in a bad way it is just true.
Old 03-01-2023, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

FMK non CC restaurants are aiming at a more upscale clientele. But upscale is a relative term here and in that they succeed. In actuality not so much.
Closed Thread

Tags
raw, fish, time, gift, card

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.