Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2017, 01:22 PM
Gold member

466a service has been great!
Old 05-27-2017, 03:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
We've been going every week since the Bob Evans on 466A opened. A couple of months ago I noticed 'Michael' the waiter was working. If you remember him from the 466 location, he was always the outgoing and funny waiter. He would always tell you how his day was going before you asked. About three years ago he disappeared and we asked where he had gone, and we were told he went to the Ocala location.

Now at 466A we are in Michael's section and we asked him first, where have you been? He said he had to leave the 466 location because of another employee, but didn't give details, only that there was a lot friction. He eventually ended up at the Silver Springs location and there he met the best manager he ever worked for. She became the manager of this new location and he said, I'll follow her anywhere. We just so happen to be seated by that manager that day and the week before as she acted as the hostess. She's the taller, blond hair woman in her 40's, and is really great. You can tell her anything, and I usually do say what I'm happy with or not.

Since we've eaten at the new 466A location about 20 times, I would say maybe twice we were't thrilled. One time I thought it was a little cold inside. Another time I thought my scrambled eggs were a bit runny. Otherwise, my wife and I love this new location and will continue to go. I did mention to the manger that we have never waited more than 2 or 3 minutes, and most times not at all, while the 466 location waiting is the norm. She said, that is because she believes in quick turn-over of the tables and doesn't like when they sit dirty and believes in taking orders fast. Which I had to admit, the waiters and waitress are very prompt and I've only waited more than I expected once for my food.

I just realized, my picture in the avatar was taken at the new Bob Evans by a neighbor and his phone. You can see their logo in the background.

Maybe some of these details aren't meant for public consumption. Perhaps divulging names/descriptions of staff members and conversations that may have been considered confidential could hurt someone?
Old 05-27-2017, 04:01 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Bob Evans is definitely high on my breakfast list. We ate at the 466A Bob Evans 6 or 7 times this past winter and it was an excellent experience each time. The staff took good care of 14 of us golfers the middle of April my last visit there. The wife and I are easy to please so take it for what it's worth.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Egad, I thought that was your granddaughter. They have got to make these avatars bigger!
There was a time I had a mustache for 35 years and the last 10 years of which it included a full beard. It wouldn't of been too hard to figure it out then but I'm clean shaving now ever since the 70's called and asked for their mustache back. I guess otherwise from what I see at the squares and at MVP everyday, you're not use to seeing a man with a head still covered with hair, and it's not white or silver, but dark brown. I'm also not overweight, or have a big stomach, now that I'm retired I work out most days to make up for many years of goofing off and I'll be 67 in July. So thanks for the backhanded compliment.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
There was a time I had a mustache for 35 years and the last 10 years of which it included a full beard. It wouldn't of been too hard to figure it out then but I'm clean shaving now ever since the 70's called and asked for their mustache back. I guess otherwise from what I see at the squares and at MVP everyday, you're not use to seeing a man with a head still covered with hair, and it's not white or silver, but dark brown. I'm also not overweight, or have a big stomach, now that I'm retired I work out most days to make up for many years of goofing off and I'll be 67 in July. So thanks for the backhanded compliment.
It was actually meant to be a forehanded compliment. you're obviously taking great care of yourself, and it shows.
Old 05-28-2017, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villageswimmer View Post
Maybe some of these details aren't meant for public consumption. Perhaps divulging names/descriptions of staff members and conversations that may have been considered confidential could hurt someone?
Tell me these names and descriptions so I can play along. It's obvious Michael has never waited on you. He's an entertainer and it's fun to watch someone who enjoys his work as much as he does. When he worked at Silver Springs location he drove everyday from Wildwood. When he divulged the details of his moving around, I never considered that as private conversation since there was four of us listening. If you see Michael, he works the middle of the restaurant area next to the counter, he talks so the whole section can hear. Like I said, he's an entertainer first and a great waiter second. Maybe your critique of my Bob Evans critique needs critiquing.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:14 AM

No problem with this place at all. Try the steak and eggs for $9.99.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynsol View Post
We go to location on CR466. Find the one on CR466a has very poor services!
The day after I posted how wonderful the wait staff was, we went to Bob Evans on 466 and had truly terrible service. Waited for 45 minutes to have order taken and served three things incorrectly. The old manager is gone. I hope the new company that bought it doesn't mess it up completely. I have loved eating at Bob Evans restaurants for years.

Sigh.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:24 PM

We have enjoyed the new Bob Evan's on 466A from it's "Soft Opening" several times a month. When it initially opened, they had extra staff from several surrounding BE locations to guide the new employees. Naturally, service was fantastic and got it off to a great start. Once the permanent staff was more trained, service become more like what reasonable people would expect, or slightly slower, but the food was still excellent.

Fast forward to this past Tuesday evening, around 7:30PM: Half the tables were empty. We were the only ones standing by the desk, and waited 10 minutes to be acknowledged. After being seated, no server appeared within the first 15 minutes, although a server had plenty of time to just stand and converse with a couple within three tables of our location while totally ignoring us. Finally a polite server showed up and was very apologetic for the long delay. ----Turns out that she had not been advised that the section in which we were seated was her responsibility. ----Our food was very slow in coming out of the kitchen. So yes, overall "service" has declined severely over the last few weeks in my opinion. However, that could have been just a glitch for that evening. I would say the wait staff is competent and friendly. However, MANAGEMENT should be concerned, and either be replaced or get the ship back on course quickly.

For those who always ask, yes, I wanted to see someone who looked like management as we left to let them know. If any management was there, it was not noticeable and I did not care to stay any longer. We will return again next week and hope to be more satisfied. If not, that's "Strike Two" and a letter goes to corporate. Bob Evans in general is too good to not care when a new location is not headed in the right direction. I know "Villagers" love to complain about everything, but this does need some level of management's attention. We appreciate them being here and want them to succeed.

Last edited by ditka41; 06-10-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditka41 View Post
We have enjoyed the new Bob Evan's on 466A from it's "Soft Opening" several times a month. When it initially opened, they had extra staff from several surrounding BE locations to guide the new employees. Naturally, service was fantastic and got it off to a great start. Once the permanent staff was more trained, service become more like what reasonable people would expect, or slightly slower, but the food was still excellent.

Fast forward to this past Tuesday evening, around 7:30PM: Half the tables were empty. We were the only ones standing by the desk, and waited 10 minutes to be acknowledged. After being seated, no server appeared within the first 15 minutes, although a server had plenty of time to just stand and converse with a couple within three tables of our location while totally ignoring us. Finally a polite server showed up and was very apologetic for the long delay. ----Turns out that she had not been advised that the section in which we were seated was her responsibility. ----Our food was very slow in coming out of the kitchen. So yes, overall "service" has declined severely over the last few weeks in my opinion. However, that could have been just a glitch for that evening. I would say the wait staff is competent and friendly. However, MANAGEMENT should be concerned, and either be replaced or get the ship back on course quickly.

For those who always ask, yes, I wanted to see someone who looked like management as we left to let them know. If any management was there, it was not noticeable and I did not care to stay any longer. We will return again next week and hope to be more satisfied. If not, that's "Strike Two" and a letter goes to corporate. Bob Evans in general is too good to not care when a new location is not headed in the right direction. I know "Villagers" love to complain about everything, but this does need some level of management's attention. We appreciate them being here and want them to succeed.
You realize that Bob Evans has been bought by another company in the last six months. I will never understand how a new company buys a thriving business and changes it.
Old 06-10-2017, 03:28 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The day after I posted how wonderful the wait staff was, we went to Bob Evans on 466 and had truly terrible service. Waited for 45 minutes to have order taken and served three things incorrectly. The old manager is gone. I hope the new company that bought it doesn't mess it up completely. I have loved eating at Bob Evans restaurants for years.

Sigh.
"The old manager is gone". The difference between good and poor when it comes to a restaurant is the manager. You can take that to the bank.
Old 06-10-2017, 05:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditka41 View Post

I have previously posted my similar experience at 466A about two weeks ago. The place was half full at about 6 pm. Stood at the entry desk for what seemed like a very long time without acknowledgement , Finally we were told that there would be a fifteen minute wait. We were the only people in the lobby and decided to leave. No manager in sight and very few employees that we could see. We are BE fans and have had some really nice meals, but something has changed recently.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:49 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You realize that Bob Evans has been bought by another company in the last six months. I will never understand how a new company buys a thriving business and changes it.
Good point, Gracie. In a normal acquisition, an acquiring company would look at 6 mos to 1yr gross receipts and analyze consumer patterns. If they are in the same (i.e. restaurant) business, then they can compare the acquisition to their own corporate business model. Based on the comparative analysis, they may choose to change practices right after re-opening. This assumes that anyone in this business has half a brain. When it comes to serving a captive audience of retirees, I don't think they give a darn.
Old 06-10-2017, 06:54 PM
Platinum member

Our golf group of eight had lunch at Bob Evans at Colony last Friday at 11:00. We were seated and beverages served immediately. Everyone was happy with their choice - food was served warm. No problems. I loved the pot roast sandwich albeit not the healthiest choice. But I had vegetable soup also.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:07 PM

I had no idea they are under different ownership just a few months after their opening. Must be one of those great corporate moves in which I am happy to no longer be a participant. Will still go again next week and hope they have improved. In any cased, a few bad experiences at this location will not keep us from trying other BE's as we travel. Can't believe a corporate change will make all the individual locations undesirable. How could a "captive audience of retirees" could be deemed as unworthy of good service, considering most of them enjoy good food and service at least as often as when we were working? I do understand how a bunch of old guys sitting all morning eating a donut and expecting free coffee could easily be less than appreciated anywhere.
Closed Thread

Tags
service, changed, opened, customer, evans

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.