Bonefish Grill Strange Policy

Old 03-20-2024, 11:08 AM
Veteran member
Default Bonefish Grill Strange Policy

My wife and I went to Bonefish Grill on 466 for lunch and met a neighbor already seated so we joined her.

I told the waitress we were on separate tabs.

As requested, we receive separate bills. Our neighbor paid with cash plus one of those free $10 promo certificates.

Bonefish Grill honors military discounts and my wife and I are both 20+ year veterans. She returned with our credit card and told us that since “the table” used a gift certificate already we were ineligible to receive the customary military discount for our meal - only one discount to the same table regardless if on separate bills as a matter of “corporate policy”.

Sounded irrational to me but decided not to embarrass my wife, my neighbor or myself to call in a manager for a couple of bucks and let it go. But still…

My wife and I were dining together on a separate check, the neighbor paid her bill first while we waited to pay ours. Again, it just doesn’t make a bit of sense

What say ye??
Old 03-20-2024, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
My wife and I went to Bonefish Grill on 466 for lunch and met a neighbor already seated so we joined her.

As requested, we receive separate bills. Our neighbor paid with cash plus one of those free $10 promo certificates.

Bonefish Grill honors military discounts and my wife and I are both 20+ year veterans. She returned with our credit card and told us that since “the table” used a gift certificate already we were ineligible to receive the customary military discount for our meal - only one discount to the same table regardless if on separate bills as a matter of “corporate policy”.

Sounded irrational to me but decided not to embarrass my wife, my neighbor or myself to call in a manager for a couple of bucks and let it go. But still…

My wife and I were dining together on a separate check, the neighbor paid her bill first while we waited to pay ours. Again, it just doesn’t make a bit of sense

What say ye??
Go see the manager.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

I don't understand why asking for separate checks had anything to do with it. A lot of diners ask for separate checks. The restaurant only allows one discount per table to reduce their overall cost for discounts. Did it state that on the certificate?
Old 03-20-2024, 11:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:

What say ye??
Agree that is sounds a bit odd, but most probably a very rare occurrence.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

What say ye??
Corporate BS. This why these outfits don't last. Out of touch with reality.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:27 PM

Bonefish Grill may be remaned Bonehead Grill. That may be policy but it wasn't doing the customer right.

Walgreens does something similar, if you have a vendor coupon, they won't allow you to use your Walgreens rewards dollars.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:41 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:

What say ye??

It makes perfect sense.

You said there was a "$10 Promotion Certificate" used at your table? I'm sure the terms of the Prom Certificate probably said only 1 "per table". If you and your friends ate at different tables, it would have been a different circumstance, most likely.

"Promos" are designed to bring folks into a restaurant, who might not otherwise go there, not to bring in more people who are sniffing around for a further discount.

How much of a "promo discount" do you think you and your friends are entitled to?

Last edited by BrianL99; 03-20-2024 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,380 Times in 2,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryTheBird View Post
Bonefish Grill may be remaned Bonehead Grill. That may be policy but it wasn't doing the customer right.

Walgreens does something similar, if you have a vendor coupon, they won't allow you to use your Walgreens rewards dollars.
Why would/should they?
If they allowed all coupons and reward cards, giving the stuff away would probably work out cheaper for a store.
One discount is plenty, just use the one that is the bargain.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Corporate BS. This why these outfits don't last. Out of touch with reality.
I don’t know all the details of the OP post…..do you?

This company seems to doing ok…….

Bloomin' Brands acquired Bonefish Grill on October 5, 2001. At the time, the company had three locations. In 2006, Bonefish Grill announced the opening of its 100th restaurant.[4] As of January 2022, Bloomin' Brands had five franchised Bonefish Grill restaurants and 167 corporate-owned and operated Bonefish Grills.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:54 PM
Sage

FYI, here is what it says about the promo certificate on the Bonefish website:

"Not valid in conjunction with any other offer, discount or coupon."
Old 03-20-2024, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

So next time, don’t let anyone else sit at your table, and don’t sit with anyone else so you can get your “table discount”.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

What say ye??
When is this going to end? You're 20+ year veterans. You had a job for those 20+ years, which you got paid for, every month. In addition to getting paid for your job and free job training, you're getting lifetime health benefits, retirement benefits, plus educational benefits, PX shopping privileges, your own holiday and a myriad of other benefits.

Did you join the military, so you'd get discounted food for the rest of your life?

Didn't you get enough yet?

What about all the Firefighters out there? Police officers? Teachers? Sanitation workers? Doctors? What about them? Shouldn't they be getting discounts too?

Get an AARP Card. Most of the same business giving you a 10% "Military Discount", will give you the exact same discount, just for being old.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:56 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
When is this going to end? You're 20+ year veterans. You had a job for those 20+ years, which you got paid for, every month. In addition to getting paid for your job and free job training, you're getting lifetime health benefits, retirement benefits, plus educational benefits, PX shopping privileges, your own holiday and a myriad of other benefits.

Did you join the military, so you'd get discounted food for the rest of your life?

Didn't you get enough yet?

What about all the Firefighters out there? Police officers? Teachers? Sanitation workers? Doctors? What about them? Shouldn't they be getting discounts too?

Get an AARP Card. Most of the same business giving you a 10% "Military Discount", will give you the exact same discount, just for being old.
So....just for s*its and giggles, under your premise....why do we arbitrarily ‘discount’ seniors over 55? Because they built this country? Where does that end? I’d much rather discount a veteran or first responder than do so for ‘just being old’. Who wrote that doctrine?
Old 03-20-2024, 02:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
So....just for s*its and giggles, under your premise....why do we arbitrarily ‘discount’ seniors over 55? Because they built this country? Where does that end? I’d much rather discount a veteran or first responder than do so for ‘just being old’. Who wrote that doctrine?
It's up to the business to provide voluntary discounts. I think they do it because they want to maintain good will with the community. It's an advertising gimmick. Most people over 55 and veterans do not really need the discounts as much as other people do.
Old 03-20-2024, 02:05 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

"Discount" offered by business for "military", "first responders", AARP members, AAA members, are nothing more than pandering by the businesses, to make it seem like you're getting something special ... in order to motivate you to patronize that business.

"10% discounts" are nothing more than advertising dollars, spent in a different way. Most every business carries a line item for A&P ... advertising and promotions. It's all one & the same.

If a business wants to show support for some particular group of people, there are more substantive ways to do it, than offering a paltry discount, to every Tom, Dick, Harry or Susan who belongs to that group. There's a big wide gulf between "support, gratitude & appreciation" and simple advertising.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Tags
separate, wife, neighbor, bonefish, grill

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.