Bonefish Grill Strange Policy

Old 03-20-2024, 02:14 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
What say ye??
Okay.
Old 03-20-2024, 02:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
"Discount" offered by business for "military", "first responders", AARP members, AAA members, are nothing more than pandering by the businesses, to make it seem like you're getting something special ... in order to motivate you to patronize that business.

"10% discounts" are nothing more than advertising dollars, spent in a different way. Most every business carries a line item for A&P ... advertising and promotions. It's all one & the same.

If a business wants to show support for some particular group of people, there are more substantive ways to do it, than offering a paltry discount, to every Tom, Dick, Harry or Susan who belongs to that group. There's a big wide gulf between "support, gratitude & appreciation" and simple advertising.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.
Thank you for coming out of the sand trap to humor me kind sir
Old 03-20-2024, 02:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

When I was a front end supervisor for a Party City, we had a woman who came in a couple of times, and wanted her veteran's discount. She didn't want to give her name, and said her right to privacy meant she didn't have to show her VA status on any ID. The second time she came in, she said she was the wife of a veteran. We told her we don't give discounts to spouses of veterans, only to spouses of active-duty military personnel. She didn't like that much either.

Basically though she was none of the above. She was just a junkie who wanted clearance stuff at an additional discount so she could sell it cheap to a flea market guy she knew.

Here in The Villages, a LOT of people wear their "Veteran's" baseball caps everywhere they go. Even the ones who aren't veterans. I've met a few of them. It's definitely not a lot of people, but one bad apple spoils the whole bunch. It's insulting to actual veterans, when non-vets wear vet insignia or try to get discounts for being fake veterans.
Old 03-20-2024, 02:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
When I was a front end supervisor for a Party City, we had a woman who came in a couple of times, and wanted her veteran's discount. She didn't want to give her name, and said her right to privacy meant she didn't have to show her VA status on any ID. The second time she came in, she said she was the wife of a veteran. We told her we don't give discounts to spouses of veterans, only to spouses of active-duty military personnel. She didn't like that much either.

Basically though she was none of the above. She was just a junkie who wanted clearance stuff at an additional discount so she could sell it cheap to a flea market guy she knew.

Here in The Villages, a LOT of people wear their "Veteran's" baseball caps everywhere they go. Even the ones who aren't veterans. I've met a few of them. It's definitely not a lot of people, but one bad apple spoils the whole bunch. It's insulting to actual veterans, when non-vets wear vet insignia or try to get discounts for being fake veterans.
Stolen Valor....here in TV?! Noooo
Old 03-20-2024, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
My wife and I went to Bonefish Grill on 466 for lunch and met a neighbor already seated so we joined her.

I told the waitress we were on separate tabs.

As requested, we receive separate bills. Our neighbor paid with cash plus one of those free $10 promo certificates.

Bonefish Grill honors military discounts and my wife and I are both 20+ year veterans. She returned with our credit card and told us that since “the table” used a gift certificate already we were ineligible to receive the customary military discount for our meal - only one discount to the same table regardless if on separate bills as a matter of “corporate policy”.

Sounded irrational to me but decided not to embarrass my wife, my neighbor or myself to call in a manager for a couple of bucks and let it go. But still…

My wife and I were dining together on a separate check, the neighbor paid her bill first while we waited to pay ours. Again, it just doesn’t make a bit of sense

What say ye??
So now you know and can consider that when choosing a restaurant next time.

Not the server’s fault for a corporate policy but I wonder how well it would go over if you had a one tip per table policy and put the single tip in the check that received the discount. For some reason I believe that the two checks would then be seen as separate and each worthy of separate tips even thought they weren’t worthy of separate discounts.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-20-2024, 03:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
So now you know and can consider that when choosing a restaurant next time.

Not the server’s fault for a corporate policy but I wonder how well it would go over if you had a one tip per table policy and put the single tip in the check that received the discount. For some reason I believe that the two checks would then be seen as separate and each worthy of separate tips even thought they weren’t worthy of separate discounts.
Excellent point by you sir
Old 03-20-2024, 03:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

personally, I'd say don't go back.
Old 03-20-2024, 03:57 PM
Veteran member

I'm guessing that the checks were separated at the end and I'm sure it all had to be rung up as 1 table when she was putting in the order. You probably could have gotten the military discount for everyone instead of the $10 promo.

I can understand the frustration but it's just a system issue.
Old 03-20-2024, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

///

-Tom Petty
Old 03-20-2024, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,671 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
///
I, for one, would love to know what you deleted, or decided not to post.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
I, for one, would love to know what you deleted, or decided not to post.
I misread a post, and when I realized I had made a mistake, I deleted the post...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-20-2024, 08:47 PM

I agree with the OP, I too had a similar situation. 4 of us go to dinner, both couples have the 10$ OFF card. We both presented our cards when our separate checks came and we were informed by the waiter that only one card per table could be used. Sure enough the fine print on the card says “One offer per table”. Who reads the fine print until now, so our friend put his 10$ OFF card back in his pocket, to be used next time. Yes, I agree with the OP a strange policy.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
FYI, here is what it says about the promo certificate on the Bonefish website:

"Not valid in conjunction with any other offer, discount or coupon."
This does not say ‘per table’. IMO, this refers to the person/couple per check holding the coupon, not the other people that might have a different discount on a different check. Bonefish doesn’t want 1 person/couple per check to apply multiple discounts.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,044 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblue View Post
I agree with the OP, I too had a similar situation. 4 of us go to dinner, both couples have the 10$ OFF card. We both presented our cards when our separate checks came and we were informed by the waiter that only one card per table could be used. Sure enough the fine print on the card says “One offer per table”. Who reads the fine print until now, so our friend put his 10$ OFF card back in his pocket, to be used next time. Yes, I agree with the OP a strange policy.
Going out to dinner and worrying about or complaining about not getting your 10% off your $75 dinner tab, must be a stressful way to retire.

Have one less drink. Problem solved.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:41 AM
Veteran member

Makes full sense. One coupon per table regardless of how the bill is paid.

Tags
separate, wife, neighbor, bonefish, grill

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.