Bonefish Grill Strange Policy

Old 03-21-2024, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't understand why asking for separate checks had anything to do with it. A lot of diners ask for separate checks. The restaurant only allows one discount per table to reduce their overall cost for discounts. Did it state that on the certificate?
Your response doesn't make sense. There were two different transactions for two different patrons. I would have left the table and gone to see the manager. Bad business policy.
Old 03-21-2024, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,886 Times in 5,317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proveone View Post
Your response doesn't make sense. There were two different transactions for two different patrons. I would have left the table and gone to see the manager. Bad business policy.
So, if there are 6 people at the table, and every one asks for a separate check, they are all allowed to use a discount certificate or other discount? I don't necessarily disagree, but the restaurant wants to limit the number of discounts per table. That was the policy explained to the OP.
Old 03-21-2024, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It's up to the business to provide voluntary discounts. I think they do it because they want to maintain good will with the community. It's an advertising gimmick. Most people over 55 and veterans do not really need the discounts as much as other people do.
YES ... businesses in a free society (something we haven't seen for a VERY long time) should be able to do whatever they feel will benefit the business; that includes whomever they wish to offer discounts to. If I had a magic wand and were dictator, I would offer discounts to families with children. Socioeconomically, this is one of the groups struggling most financially. Seniors are, for the most part, high on the same ladder, i.e. doing rather well!

Fred
Old 03-21-2024, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
I’ve got too much money in the bank to care
could I borrow 20 bucks?
Old 03-21-2024, 11:42 AM

Sorry to hear this. Bonefish is one of our favorite restaurants. The discount would have cost them very little compared to the ill will they have generated. Penny-wise and pound-foolish comes to mind.
Old 03-21-2024, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,342 Times in 4,338 Posts

The vitriol in this thread (for asking a simple and valid question) is staggering!

But considering the sources, I really shouldn't be surprised...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-21-2024, 04:02 PM
Veteran member

This is a 1st world problem

Old 03-21-2024, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,458 Times in 2,097 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierPa View Post
This is a 1st world problem
Well, that’s where I live so…

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-21-2024, 04:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,203 Times in 1,945 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele201 View Post
I agree with everything you said in your post. A discount for being a veteran and a promo coupon or voucher are like apples and oranges. As it’s the restaurant’s corporate policy to offer military discounts to its customers, you and your wife should have received that discount — whether you’re dining at a table with other people, at the bar or wherever.

Having said that, I think you were correct in not making an issue out of it. After all, it’s just 10 percent off the check. So for example, $3 off a $30 check. But it’s the principle of the thing, just feels unfair. Btw Your neighbor got a pretty good deal though, a $10 coupon/voucher off of her lunch bill, so good for her.

By the way, Thank you for your service, your wife as well!
Agree about the military discount being denied is the principle of it. The money is a non issue.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:48 PM

The $10 was for of a coupon, then a gift certificate. But if they opened by saying separate checks that then does not sound reasonable.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,063 Times in 1,767 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Well, that’s where I live so…
I know, that comment always makes me laugh… unless they are actually not living on this continent, internet is worldwide.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:51 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,773 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
My wife and I went to Bonefish Grill on 466 for lunch and met a neighbor already seated so we joined her.

I told the waitress we were on separate tabs.

As requested, we receive separate bills. Our neighbor paid with cash plus one of those free $10 promo certificates.

Bonefish Grill honors military discounts and my wife and I are both 20+ year veterans. She returned with our credit card and told us that since “the table” used a gift certificate already we were ineligible to receive the customary military discount for our meal - only one discount to the same table regardless if on separate bills as a matter of “corporate policy”.

Sounded irrational to me but decided not to embarrass my wife, my neighbor or myself to call in a manager for a couple of bucks and let it go. But still…

My wife and I were dining together on a separate check, the neighbor paid her bill first while we waited to pay ours. Again, it just doesn’t make a bit of sense

What say ye??
Not sure, like you explained, sounds a bit odd, but only a few dollars. Do you suppose if the same situation applied, a senior couple came in, saw perhaps a younger nephew and his wife so joined them. Then IF the nephew and wife used some kind of coupon they had, would that mean the senior couple who joined the would NOT get the senior discount (assuming it is an establishment that gives a standard senior discount) ? Just seems strange, wonder if the server did not completely understand his/her training ?
Old 03-21-2024, 11:44 PM

My take on this is that the coupon said (as stated by a response) "Not valid in conjunction with any other offer, discount or coupon.". Fine! But that should relate to your bill. If there are 2 separate bills, one has nothing to do with the other. The person paying their bill cannot use two discounts! So, then you should only tip on one bill and not the other at the table! Doesn't make sense. And as far as a military discount, you sacrificed to give us our freedom and our military and veterans deserve even more! G-D bless you for your service!!!!
Old 03-22-2024, 03:23 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,290 Times in 454 Posts

Quote:
My wife and I went to Bonefish Grill on 466 for lunch and met a neighbor already seated so we joined her.

I told the waitress we were on separate tabs.

As requested, we receive separate bills. Our neighbor paid with cash plus one of those free $10 promo certificates.

Bonefish Grill honors military discounts and my wife and I are both 20+ year veterans. She returned with our credit card and told us that since “the table” used a gift certificate already we were ineligible to receive the customary military discount for our meal - only one discount to the same table regardless if on separate bills as a matter of “corporate policy”.

Sounded irrational to me but decided not to embarrass my wife, my neighbor or myself to call in a manager for a couple of bucks and let it go. But still…

My wife and I were dining together on a separate check, the neighbor paid her bill first while we waited to pay ours. Again, it just doesn’t make a bit of sense

What say ye??
There are a few restaurants with this policy. I don’t agree with it but if you read the promo certificate it probably has it stated on it.
Old 03-22-2024, 04:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eg_cruz View Post
There are a few restaurants with this policy. I don’t agree with it but if you read the promo certificate it probably has it stated on it.
You are probably right but of course we did not know how our neighbor was going to pay her bill nor, if we had, would we have asked her for the certificate to review. Seems like many failed to read and understand what I thought had been a clear narrative. Thankfully not everyone. This has certainly turned out to be a tempest in a teacup

Tags
separate, wife, neighbor, bonefish, grill

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.