Brooklyn Water Bagels - finally tried them.

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion
Default Brooklyn Water Bagels - finally tried them.

First thing is that the price I saw for a bagel at Brooklyn Water Bagels on this forum was incorrect. The price for 1 bagel is $1.29. For a baker's dozen (13), it's $11.99, which comes to less than a $1 a bagel.

Next thing is the bagels are excellent. Not a donut shaped piece of bread like you get at Dunkin' Donuts for $.99, but a real honest to goodness boiled, then baked little piece of heaven.

You cannot compare these to any other so-called bagel I've had in Florida, but they're definitely on a par with any bagel you might get up north in the NY, NJ area. Some bagel shops up north might make them a bit bigger than these, but not much better.

I usually transport bagels down from NJ when I visit. I won't have to do that anymore if Brooklyn Water Bagels succeed in their business here.

If you haven't tried them yet, please do, you won't be disappointed. It's just too bad they're not golf cart accessible.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:38 PM
Veteran member

Good news Richie, looking forward to becoming a good patron of Brooklyn Bagels.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Where is Brooklyn Bagels located?
Old 08-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Sage

In the Villages Crossroads Shopping Center south of Honey Baked Ham. Intersection of Rolling Acres and 27/441.

Bill
Old 08-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Send a message via Yahoo to renielarson

Thanks!
Old 08-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Sage

With all the rave reviews, I can't wait to try them next time we are down.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:24 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieLion View Post
First thing is that the price I saw for a bagel at Brooklyn Water Bagels on this forum was incorrect. The price for 1 bagel is $1.29. For a baker's dozen (13), it's $11.99, which comes to less than a $1 a bagel.

Next thing is the bagels are excellent. Not a donut shaped piece of bread like you get at Dunkin' Donuts for $.99, but a real honest to goodness boiled, then baked little piece of heaven.

You cannot compare these to any other so-called bagel I've had in Florida, but they're definitely on a par with any bagel you might get up north in the NY, NJ area. Some bagel shops up north might make them a bit bigger than these, but not much better.

I usually transport bagels down from NJ when I visit. I won't have to do that anymore if Brooklyn Water Bagels succeed in their business here.

If you haven't tried them yet, please do, you won't be disappointed. It's just too bad they're not golf cart accessible.
This former Brooklyn, Staten Island girl agrees !!! ...my only complaint, where are the Bialy's????

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 08-20-2011, 10:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleevee View Post
This former Brooklyn, Staten Island girl agrees !!! ...my only complaint, where are the Bialy's????
nothing like bialys!!
Old 08-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleevee View Post
Bialy's would be nice. Darn it; now you got me craving another thing I haven't found here
Old 08-20-2011, 11:35 PM
Veteran member
Smile

Quote:
Bialy's would be nice. Darn it; now you got me craving another thing I haven't found here
OY a bialy...back in the day, after Mass, we would drive to the LES (Lower East Side) go to a bakery on Grand Street and get fresh bagels and bialys then go to the Essex Streeet Market and pick up smoked fish. I would only eat the baked salmon. What a treat...baked salmon on a fresh bialy...Can't you tell I'm an Irish, Polish Catholic from Brooklyn...LOL
Old 08-21-2011, 06:29 AM
Gold member

Quote:

Richie,

I really can't help myself - Would you be transporting these bagels from NY/NJ by car or by plane?

Xavier
Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 AM
Sage

As a wannabee, its good to know where to get a good bagel.

One thing less I will have to search for when I get there.

I didn't know a bagel existed until I was in my thirties. I guess I led a shelter life and didn't know it.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).

Last edited by 2BNTV; 08-21-2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Location: All over CA, ID, WA, and now the Village of St. James, TV

What is a bialys? As a former Spokane WA girl (via CA and ID) I've never heard of that before. My idea of bagels would be... cinnamon crunch bagel at Panera Bread. Ha... that's the extent of my bagel expertise.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
Richie,

I really can't help myself - Would you be transporting these bagels from NY/NJ by car or by plane?

Xavier
By car I'll bring down 2 doz. and freeze 'em. (not as good as a fresh bagel, but toasted they're not bad). By plane, which I recently did fly north and back, I'll stuff a bag of 1 doz. in my carry on. Something I don't have to do anymore now that we have Brooklyn Water Bagels so close.

I know why you asked, and to answer that question, my flight was non-eventful. Filled with much anxiety, I walked briskly threw the metal detector and surprisingly the titanium implants in the bones of my left leg did not set off the alarm, and I went through with no drama. The naked scanners were in operation at Orlando Airport, but I was lucky not to be in that line.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:22 AM
Sage

Richie:

A bagel tip. Here's a tip that has been around for years that I heard from a friend many years ago. My son, who works in the hotel management also verified this works as it has been been used in some of the better hotels.

After taking a bagel out of the freezer, put in a mocrowave oven with a cup of water for two minutes in the "defrost" setting.

Cut the bagel and put in back in the microwave for two minutes in the "defrost" mode.

The water in the cup will mist and go into the bagel giving it soft and baked quality. It will seem like it just came out of the bakery oven.

I'm no great chef, (microwave man), and I bow to other's superiority when it comes to cooking but I found this method to work when reheating pizza, pasta and anything that will taste better as it will taste more like when it was originally cooked.

P.S. - I remember when I put bread in the microwave and after it came out. If a let it sit for a while, it became like a brick.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.