Burke's BBQ open Sunday

Closed Thread
Old 05-02-2013, 06:28 AM
Default Burke's BBQ open Sunday

We had an unbelievable pulled pork special at Burkes yesterday... Their sweet potato casserole is out of this world...The nice young lady that takes care of the outdoor customers asked us to spread the word that they are now going to be open on Sundays due to popular demand...if you haven't been there yet the under roof outdoor seating is really comfortable even on a hot day... Looks like those wanting a reasonably priced mom and pop restaurant will now have a great gathering spot after church... I guess that they will still be closed on Mondays...
Old 05-02-2013, 06:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Thanks for the info
Old 05-31-2013, 09:54 PM
Veteran member

I passed by Burke's recently for the 1st time .... on my way to my 1st (but NOT last) trip to Mystic Ice Cream.

From the earlier threads / postings, I expected a lil dumpy kinda place with a couple of sun baked picnic table. While frankly those types of BBQ joints are often the best (anyone ever been to the citadels of bbq; Smithy's, Black's or Kreuz in Lockheart Tx??) and I love them ..... I was shocked to see the size of Burkes. Looked like a kinda upscale "joint" and I will make a point of trying it soon.

Give me a place like Burkes any day over franchise bbq!!
Old 06-02-2013, 12:49 PM
Platinum member
Default It's a cafeteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by LndLocked View Post
I passed by Burke's recently for the 1st time .... on my way to my 1st (but NOT last) trip to Mystic Ice Cream.

From the earlier threads / postings, I expected a lil dumpy kinda place with a couple of sun baked picnic table. While frankly those types of BBQ joints are often the best (anyone ever been to the citadels of bbq; Smithy's, Black's or Kreuz in Lockheart Tx??) and I love them ..... I was shocked to see the size of Burkes. Looked like a kinda upscale "joint" and I will make a point of trying it soon.

Give me a place like Burkes any day over franchise bbq!!
Don't get your hopes up, LndLocked. It's cafeteria style with paper plates, plastic utensils and no wait staff.

Skip
Old 06-02-2013, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
Don't get your hopes up, LndLocked. It's cafeteria style with paper plates, plastic utensils and no wait staff.

Skip
But I've eaten in great BBQ places which were exactly that - no frills on service, but outstanding food!
Old 06-02-2013, 03:18 PM
Gold member

Went with a gang Friday night and very good portions for the value and flavor.
Old 06-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

Skip
You have never "been to the citadels of bbq; Smithy's, Black's or Kreuz in Lockheart Tx" have you.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:28 PM

Bobby and I ate at Burke's after church today. The food was very good, especially the sweet potato casserole. Will go back.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:24 PM
Gold member

Quote:

Skip
It's a BBQ joint dude, no white table cloths and, no violin music, rarely a candle flickering on the tables, just good food.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:40 PM
Default Delicious Dinner

Our destination for dinner tonight was Oakwood, but when we arrived at 5:30, there had to be an hour wait. I had my heart set on ribs and remembered we had not tried Burke's on 466A.
So glad we did, for now we have found a new place for ribs that are even better than the baby back ribs of the others. These are honest to goodness SMOKED, dry rubbed pork ribs. Tender and delicious.. just the way southern ribs are supposed to be. The meat fell off the bones and for $10, we had a full rack of meat without dripping sauces and fat. The two sides I chose were traditional potato salad and coleslaw... fabulous. My hubby chose zipper peas and sweet potato casserole... Both delicious. Choice of Texas Toast or Skillet Corn Bread... I chose corn bread with butter and honey... to die for.
They have beer, wine and sodas, iced tea and coffee... and home made desserts - like cherry cobbler tonight... warm or cold... Frosted brownies were coming out as we were leaving.
If you enjoy small places that work to create quality meals, this is it. It's definitely not fancy - plastic forks, paper plates and delicious food. And if you prefer - you can always take it out to go. This is a no frills local business that we Villagers need to support.
Old 06-25-2013, 08:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyisle View Post
Our destination for dinner tonight was Oakwood, but when we arrived at 5:30, there had to be an hour wait. I had my heart set on ribs and remembered we had not tried Burke's on 466A.
So glad we did, for now we have found a new place for ribs that are even better than the baby back ribs of the others. These are honest to goodness SMOKED, dry rubbed pork ribs. Tender and delicious.. just the way southern ribs are supposed to be. The meat fell off the bones and for $10, we had a full rack of meat without dripping sauces and fat. The two sides I chose were traditional potato salad and coleslaw... fabulous. My hubby chose zipper peas and sweet potato casserole... Both delicious. Choice of Texas Toast or Skillet Corn Bread... I chose corn bread with butter and honey... to die for.
They have beer, wine and sodas, iced tea and coffee... and home made desserts - like cherry cobbler tonight... warm or cold... Frosted brownies were coming out as we were leaving.
If you enjoy small places that work to create quality meals, this is it. It's definitely not fancy - plastic forks, paper plates and delicious food. And if you prefer - you can always take it out to go. This is a no frills local business that we Villagers need to support.
wonderful post,, cant wait to go there,, i am making special effort to support those outside the bubble (not some roach infested country club)that offer fair value for there food that hire locals that pay to the local tax base.

Last edited by Moderator; 06-25-2013 at 08:57 PM. Reason: edited out off-topic comment
Old 06-26-2013, 09:16 AM
Question Burke's

Where is Burke's located on 466A
Old 06-26-2013, 09:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgrider View Post
Where is Burke's located on 466A
About a mile past the Shell station on the left side going east.
The Villages Barbeque - Home of The OINK! and Vegetarian Friendly Sides - Burke's BBQ
Old 06-26-2013, 10:20 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Good to hear positive remarks about Burke's. Another Thread regarding Burke's when they had their "grand opening" was less than positive---including my own experence and remarks. Most restaurants have to deal with start-up issues but they had more than their share. I think most of the start up issues were directly related to inexperience of running a restaurant. We will consider giving them a third chance!
Old 06-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Sage

I'm so glad that Burke's is doing well enough to add another day. He really cares about his business.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.