Carrabba‘s wine, dinners

Closed Thread
Old 12-07-2023, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts
Default Carrabba‘s wine, dinners

In the past few years in other states we have enjoyed over 20 wine dinners at Carrabba’s restaurant. Alway top notch service, in the back dining away from regular clientele, with candles, tablecloths, and great ambience.

Details to make the dinners special, one could sit at tables of 2, 4 largest 6, for couples who booked together. Excellent food, with well appointed wines, from high end wineries.

Cost starting from $50–100 per person, 4 course meal, with 4 different wines, which not only reflects on the food served, but wineries like Silver Oak, Duck Horn, Cake bread, to name a few.

So we were happily that Lady Lake offered a wine dinner this week with Caymus wine.

The dinner, not a wine class, but four courses pair with wine for each course, was staged in the bar. 4 booths, 2 tables of four, and two of their long narrow high top that sat ten each. Even though they closed the bar, some kept walking in. Have to say over $200 per couple, sitting at a narrow bar high top made the dinner uncomfortable, night.

Felt that whoever organized the dinner either didn’t have the foresight, or care what should have been a memorable wine dinner. Sent pics to one of the managers at a location we frequented for prior events, he was to say the least disappointed that dinner looked like a regular bar event.

The event person, seemed flustered, and little unorganized, told two couples, that this was their set up, if you aren’t a fan, maybe Ocala would be a better venue.

While the food was good, wine of course was excellent, we will be traveling to another location, for a venue that equals an upscale event.
Old 12-07-2023, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

If the bar was closed, why did they allow people to walk in?
Old 12-07-2023, 05:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
In the past few years in other states we have enjoyed over 20 wine dinners at Carrabba’s restaurant. Alway top notch service, in the back dining away from regular clientele, with candles, tablecloths, and great ambience.

Details to make the dinners special, one could sit at tables of 2, 4 largest 6, for couples who booked together. Excellent food, with well appointed wines, from high end wineries.

Cost starting from $50–100 per person, 4 course meal, with 4 different wines, which not only reflects on the food served, but wineries like Silver Oak, Duck Horn, Cake bread, to name a few.

So we were happily that Lady Lake offered a wine dinner this week with Caymus wine.

The dinner, not a wine class, but four courses pair with wine for each course, was staged in the bar. 4 booths, 2 tables of four, and two of their long narrow high top that sat ten each. Even though they closed the bar, some kept walking in. Have to say over $200 per couple, sitting at a narrow bar high top made the dinner uncomfortable, night.

Felt that whoever organized the dinner either didn’t have the foresight, or care what should have been a memorable wine dinner. Sent pics to one of the managers at a location we frequented for prior events, he was to say the least disappointed that dinner looked like a regular bar event.

The event person, seemed flustered, and little unorganized, told two couples, that this was their set up, if you aren’t a fan, maybe Ocala would be a better venue.

While the food was good, wine of course was excellent, we will be traveling to another location, for a venue that equals an upscale event.
When we dine at restaurants in the Villages, we set our expectations low. This way, we are never disappointed. It seems mediocre is the standard around here. Have you tried the one in Ocala? Perhaps the experience will be better.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:12 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,640 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post

Oh no - sounds like your experience was less than “ideal”. I too enjoyed attending wine pairing dinners before moving to The Villages back home - at least once per month for many years - restaurants would actually close down for an entire night to host the dinner - with wines from either a particular geographical region, or a particular winery - usually five courses with five wines, served with a chef- created menu to match each pairing. A sommelier would be on hand to introduce each wine and talk about the food pairing. One would then have the option of purchasing any of the featured wines at a discount.

I wasnt expecting to find something like this in The Villages (though would be nice), but I am looking forward to a wine tasting event next Friday at the Sawgrass Show Kitchen (two seatings, one at noon and the other at 3) - almost sold out - though not a wine pairing meal, snacks will be served with each pairing (charcuterie). I already attend the cooking classes there twice a week, so I am anticipating this coming up wine event - hope it will be a success, as I think there is an audience for those that enjoy fine wines here in The Villages.

Last edited by Michael 61; 12-07-2023 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Oh no - sounds like your experience was less than “ideal”. I too enjoyed attending wine pairing dinners before moving to The Villages back home - at least once per month for many years - restaurants would actually close down for an entire night to host the dinner - with wines from either a particular geographical region, or a particular winery - usually five courses with five wines, served with a chef- created menu to match each pairing. A sommelier would be on hand to introduce each wine and talk about the food pairing. One would then have the option of purchasing any of the featured wines at a discount.

I wasnt expecting to find something like this in The Villages (though would be nice), but I am looking forward to a wine tasting event next Friday at the Sawgrass Show Kitchen (two seatings, one at noon and the other at 3) - almost sold out - though not a wine pairing meal, snacks will be served with each pairing (charcuterie). I already attend the cooking classes there twice a week, so I am anticipating this coming up wine event - hope it will be a success, as I think there is an audience for those that enjoy fine wines here in The Villages.
The wine event you are attending at Sawgrass, is a teaching class, so it’s very appropriate to be seated at long high tops for a better visual. Although would rather have feet on the ground when tasting and spitting 50 plus wines.

Remember the charcuterie should be sampled after the first smell, swish and taste of each new wine, no matter how tempting it looks. There will be a great difference in the wine before and after food. Wine is meant to enhance the food paired with it.

Last edited by asianthree; 12-13-2023 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2023, 03:38 PM
Platinum member

We used to go to these at The Villages Carrabba's location soon after they first opened in 2005. I guess maybe 30 people (limit) would attend. Sold out in one day. They had the wine distributor/regional sales person pouring the wine and describing each. (I'll bet the distributor donated the wines.) We were seated at two long tables, family style, in the center of the main dining area on an off-night (like Monday or Tuesday). The food came out in a parade of servers. Compliments to the kitchen.

As time went on, the price went way up and the food became more ordinary. The wines dropped to ordinary level. They were sometimes a hodgepodge of labels/countries. I think each location does their own thing. We got to know the young man from the BOH that put the event together when it started here. He was great. (Long gone elsewhere.)

So, we no longer spend $75++pp for these. Sorry you were disappointed. Easy to get on Ocala's mailing list and try theirs. Report back here if you go. TU.

Skip
Old 12-13-2023, 11:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I guess I'm not hoity-toity. My wine comes in a frosted bottle or a cardboard box. Bottom's up, y'all.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Closed Thread

Tags
wine, dinner, bar, high, event

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.