In case anyone is wondering about Mexican

Old 04-04-2024, 09:36 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,770 Times in 760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post
How was the verede sauce? Spicy? Creamy?
It was mild verde, I do like more spice, but I did NOT make that known, so that one is on me, few places are going to use much spice without a request from customer ! Hope the quality is consistent, going back next weekend since it was such a positive experience !
Old 04-04-2024, 09:50 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
We usually prefer the kind of places that have home-made horchata.

You know I didn't even notice if they had agua de horchata on the menu ! Will check that out this next weekend, we're going back. I love my own recipe (got it living in Mexico for work). Really simple one, I'll share it here, but you probably have your favorite home made too ! 2 cups long grain rice (I use Texmati brand)
stick Mexican Cinnamon, 4 cups hot water, 8 cups extra water to finish the drink, ¾ cup sugar ( I use Florida raw organic), 2 teaspoon pure vanilla, cup milk (I use 2% or whole, whatever I have).
Old 04-04-2024, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
It was mild verde, I do like more spice, but I did NOT make that known, so that one is on me, few places are going to use much spice without a request from customer ! Hope the quality is consistent, going back next weekend since it was such a positive experience !
This is an easy recipe for salsa verde. I'm not super talented in the kitchen but I even made this one successfully. Roasted Tomatillo Salsa - Rick Bayless
Old 04-05-2024, 07:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
Then you haven't been to Hacienda in Ocala if you want regular Mexican or you should try more upscale places in Ocala like El Mezcal or Azul Tequila
I haven't been to Hacienda or Azul Tequila, but I have been to El Mezcal many times. Great food there as well, and I love their outdoor area. As everyone knows, these place sometimes go through cooking staff. I'm simply saying that whoever is cooking at Los Maguey's in Belleview as of right now is hands down the best tasting food.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,975 Times in 2,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I’ll check it out, but so far I have yet to find a decent Mexican restaurant in Florida that serves authentic Mexican cuisine.
I prefer TexMex over Authentic. I prefer Texas barbecue over anything in Florida, can’t wait for Bucky’s in north Ocala to be completed.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB444 View Post
This is an easy recipe for salsa verde. I'm not super talented in the kitchen but I even made this one successfully. Roasted Tomatillo Salsa - Rick Bayless
I just buy HERDEZ salsa Carera comes in three levels heat.
Old 04-05-2024, 08:39 AM
Sage

I’ve been to few Authentic Mexican restaurants in Florida IMO all taste about same. IMO good but nothing to rave about yet?
Old 04-08-2024, 09:50 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'd been wondering about that place, thanks for the review! I'll probably give it a try in the next couple of weeks, as a result.
It was quite good food and service, and we DID go again this weekend. So far, so good, LOL !
Old 04-08-2024, 09:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I’ve been to few Authentic Mexican restaurants in Florida IMO all taste about same. IMO good but nothing to rave about yet?
True, it is the Tex-Mex type , I agree. But like the pizza discussions, LOL, "for here" it's a little above the usual, LOL ! Many people in the U.S.really don't like authentic "Mexican" that's for sure. I LOVE the Yucatan style, a LOT of snapper, a LOT of grouper, dishes, but not going to find that here much, once in awhile maybe. Been told there is a place in Brooksville that's very authentic, carne de cabra and a lot of sea food we've been told. Will go explore one weekend probably.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:04 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB444 View Post
Thanks, I made it TODAY, it was GREAT, not complicated. Have no idea why I've never considered making it at home previously, thanks again !
Old 04-08-2024, 10:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolBrews View Post
I haven't been to Hacienda or Azul Tequila, but I have been to El Mezcal many times. Great food there as well, and I love their outdoor area. As everyone knows, these place sometimes go through cooking staff. I'm simply saying that whoever is cooking at Los Maguey's in Belleview as of right now is hands down the best tasting food.
Humm, haven't been to Los Maquey's for such a long time now, have to do again soon. You are right, Asian and Mexican restaurants do seem to have unavoidable (?) staff, cook, changes often and it sometimes makes at shocking difference !
Old 04-12-2024, 12:50 PM
Platinum member

[QUOTE=Michael 61;2313190]I’ll check it out, but so far I have yet to find a decent Mexican restaurant in Florida that serves authentic Mexican cuisine.[/QUOTE

That's true, and you may not ever find that. Many owners all over Florida DO know authentic methods, meats, and ingredients, but like Asian cuisines, most Americans do NOT want 100% authentic dishes as they don't like many of the authentic ingredients, and in many cases the preferred protein sources in many countries are not the same as here in the U.S. For instance, Publix does not routinely carry goat meat, one of the top choices for "tacos" (also quite different than the typical American's concept of a "taco"...lol) in Mexico. Have to make the most of vacations in Mexico we've found, eat your fill of authentic while there and enjoy before you get back to "Tex Mex" or Taco Bell....LOL !
Old 04-12-2024, 12:52 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I prefer TexMex over Authentic. I prefer Texas barbecue over anything in Florida, can’t wait for Bucky’s in north Ocala to be completed.
Can we hope and pray for really good brisket ????? Heavenly just thinking about it !
Old 04-12-2024, 12:54 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'd been wondering about that place, thanks for the review! I'll probably give it a try in the next couple of weeks, as a result.
You're welcome, but, the way places change kitchen help, you can't depend on sustainability most places.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:03 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaligirl View Post
Glad you had a good experience. When we went, the food was barely edible, small portions, service was okay, will never return. And, I felt it was very overpriced for what we received. Didn't look even close to all of the pictures posted
Oh dear, that's what I always fear. One finds good food and service, then a friend tries and has a miserable experience. We've been twice now in 6 weeks and no changes... yet ! Very low cost, about $12.99 for HUGE enchilada dinner, could only eat 2 with all the rice, beans, chips, etc. included. Hate to hear is fallen so low so fast, we took house guests over Easter and it was still great and prices were still really low. Nothing lasts I guess !

Tags
chicken, filling, tasty, food, meat

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.