Chop House $43 grouper!!!

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2020, 07:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiltedviews View Post
My husband and I went to the Chop House in LSL tonight to celebrate our anniversary. All was well until the bill came. Their grouper special: a piece of grouper, plus either 3 shrimp or 3 scallops, and 2 sides: $43!! I asked the waitress why she didn’t tell us the price when she described the special (I would never have ordered it if I had known it was $43), she said they only tell you prices if you ask. So I am posting this to advise you that if you order a special at the Chop House, ask the price before ordering!! We will never go there again after this experience.
If you need to know the price they think you don’t belong there.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,049 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nn0wheremann View Post
If you need to know the price they think you don’t belong there.
Sorry strongly disagree.

If someone on a budget wants to go to a fancy restaurant what is the harm in knowing what the dinner will cost.

Not quite the same thing as buying a yacht.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:37 AM
Veteran member

If you want a great steak at a reasonable price, get yourself a grill and a Costco membership
Old 09-29-2020, 12:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
If you want a great steak at a reasonable price, get yourself a grill and a Costco membership
Where do we get the chef to grill it for us?
Old 09-29-2020, 07:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Where do we get the chef to grill it for us?
It takes skill to grill a steak?
Old 09-29-2020, 10:32 PM
Default Golden Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
...this is one of my (many) pet peeves.

1. Stating the price of 'specials' should really be standard practice.
2. I always felt that it sounded "cheap" to ask the price of a Special.
2a "Market Price" is one thing, but a standard 'special' is another.
2b. One can feel 'cheap' asking, especially in a Group lunch/dinner.
3. But I'd rather be looked upon as "cheap" than feel 'gouged', as the OP.

re #2, perhaps it's a psycholgical matter employed for profit $$$.

Buyer beware, and don't be shy.
Have always heard restaurants who do not have their servers quote the price of the specials do it for a reason. 1) It is usually a more expensive price than run of tbe menu and 2) They know people feel awkward to ask about pricing because it makes them look cheap.
So never hesitate to ask. You are the one paying the bill. If they don't quote the price, I usually refer to Rule 1 and don't order it on principal. But if it sounds amazing, I do ask and decide if it seems worth it.
Old 09-30-2020, 05:42 AM
Default Specials are expensive!

I see your point about how a “Special” might mean a good deal or cheaper price. But not so at a high end restaurant or steakhouse. Everytime I’ve seen a “special” on those types of menus, it’s been More expensive, not less, than other entrees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I'm sorry OP got so slammed by so many. Lotta crabby people here.

I guess by "special," Chop House meant they made something different that day. "Special" used to mean something at a good price, perhaps less than usual menu items.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,734 Times in 5,252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ele201 View Post
I see your point about how a “Special” might mean a good deal or cheaper price. But not so at a high end restaurant or steakhouse. Everytime I’ve seen a “special” on those types of menus, it’s been More expensive, not less, than other entrees.
I don't know what you mean by high end restaurants, but we live in The Villages. Almost every restaurant is always advertising lunch specials, happy hour specials, two for one meal specials, all-you-can eat specials, and every other kind of special. Some of the country clubs and other restaurants have regular weekly specials. I don't think anyone in The Villages would hear about a restaurant special and think that they are going to pay a higher price. I agree with the OP that the Chop House missed the boat by referring to their highest priced meal and calling it a special.
Old 09-30-2020, 09:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
It takes skill to grill a steak?
Yes
Old 09-30-2020, 09:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I don't know what you mean by high end restaurants, but we live in The Villages. Almost every restaurant is always advertising lunch specials, happy hour specials, two for one meal specials, all-you-can eat specials, and every other kind of special. Some of the country clubs and other restaurants have regular weekly specials. I don't think anyone in The Villages would hear about a restaurant special and think that they are going to pay a higher price. I agree with the OP that the Chop House missed the boat by referring to their highest priced meal and calling it a special.
Agreed. This goes in the category of winning battle and losing the war.

The OP should have asked the price but he didnt and now after sticker shock the restaurant probably lost a customer.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
There are 3 restaurants that would be considered "high end" in The Villages: Blue Fin, Chop House and Wolfgang Puck. Personally for me, I know going to one of them any special is probably going to be a higher prices entree. I have no problem asking the price and deciding if I want to order it. A special at one of these isn't the same as a special in most of the restaurants here.
Old 09-30-2020, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Maybe in Hooterville and Petticoat Junction, but once you get out into a somewhat more sophisticated environment (such as Secaucus, N.J.), a special is simply an entre that is not on the usual menu, and is likely priced equal to or higher than the regular menu. It is NOT by default a cheaper meal.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by claricecolin View Post
There are 3 restaurants that would be considered "high end" in The Villages: Blue Fin, Chop House and Wolfgang Puck. Personally for me, I know going to one of them any special is probably going to be a higher prices entree. I have no problem asking the price and deciding if I want to order it. A special at one of these isn't the same as a special in most of the restaurants here.
I also have no problem asking for the price of their specials. But, I would just point out that Blue Fin often advertises special meals and drinks at reduced prices, and they refer to them as specials. So, I don't agree that a "special" is probably going to be a higher price. And, I think that The Rose Plantation may be considered a high end restaurant, but I am frequently getting emails from them offering me a special, lower priced meal.
Old 09-30-2020, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
I also have no problem asking for the price of their specials. But, I would just point out that Blue Fin often advertises special meals and drinks at reduced prices, and they refer to them as specials. So, I don't agree that a "special" is probably going to be a higher price. And, I think that The Rose Plantation may be considered a high end restaurant, but I am frequently getting emails from them offering me a special, lower priced meal.
OK, let's settle this the easy way and define a "special" as a non-usual menu item that may cost more, the same, or less than the usual items
Old 09-30-2020, 01:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
OK, let's settle this the easy way and define a "special" as a non-usual menu item that may cost more, the same, or less than the usual items
I agree
Closed Thread

Tags
chop, house, grouper, $43, special

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.