Chop House - First and last time.

Closed Thread
Old 11-27-2021, 11:12 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,106 Times in 382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
Good for you, Charlie. We eat out almost every night because we don't like to cook OR clean up. To each his own, right?

Never been to the Chop House but we'll be going soon to celebrate a relative's milestone birthday. I notice on the menu that all the steaks are "market priced". What are the going market prices for their steaks these days? Thx.

kathy
For a steakhouse to have "Market Price" on a menu for a $54 steak is a copout. If their steak is so good as to merit a $54 price, be proud to show the price. I don't think I should have to call a manager to complain about not having baked potatoes and substituting mashed potatoes. If they are so inept that they allow this to happen, they know it and should comp the whole meal.
If they have "B" cooks on Monday night, they know that. If their cooks serve a well-done steak when medium rare was ordered, they have just ruined the whole dining experience, not only for the one person, but the entire party. Suggestions that one should contact the manager instead of mentioning on TOTV may be someone's way of handling the situation, but comping for poor service never changes the dining experience. Quality control after the fact is wrong. Training cooks, servers and managers to do it right is the answer. A server who takes the order should be able to distinguish between medium rare and well done, as should the cook and manager.

Poor service is just that, and if the poster chooses to share that, it is valid even if not brought to managements attention.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
For a steakhouse to have "Market Price" on a menu for a $54 steak is a copout. If their steak is so good as to merit a $54 price, be proud to show the price. I don't think I should have to call a manager to complain about not having baked potatoes and substituting mashed potatoes. If they are so inept that they allow this to happen, they know it and should comp the whole meal.
If they have "B" cooks on Monday night, they know that. If their cooks serve a well-done steak when medium rare was ordered, they have just ruined the whole dining experience, not only for the one person, but the entire party. Suggestions that one should contact the manager instead of mentioning on TOTV may be someone's way of handling the situation, but comping for poor service never changes the dining experience. Quality control after the fact is wrong. Training cooks, servers and managers to do it right is the answer. A server who takes the order should be able to distinguish between medium rare and well done, as should the cook and manager.

Poor service is just that, and if the poster chooses to share that, it is valid even if not brought to managements attention.

Market price is not a cop out with prime meat. The price fluctuates and they are not going to redo their menu's every week. Comping an entire meal because the potato is different is not realistic. Maybe a dessert. I have had the prime aged 21 day Delmonico a half dozen times and it is well worth the price in the low $50s. We eat at Chop House weekly. I think their management and staff are outstanding.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:49 AM

We recently went to the Chop House for the first time, and expectations were a lot higher than they would be for a more casual place. We loved the atmosphere and the meal was good, but not great. For $54, I expect every bite of my steak to be melt-in-your-mouth delicious without gristle, and the baked potato was slightly undercooked and forgettable. Other sides, desserts, and martinis were superb. I agree about the “market price” gimmick: just stop it!

Just remember that top dollar doesn’t always equate to top quality, even with an upscale ambiance.

That said, would we go back? Yes, but only for a special occasion.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:53 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,106 Times in 382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
Market price is not a cop out with prime meat. The price fluctuates and they are not going to redo their menu's every week. Comping an entire meal because the potato is different is not realistic. Maybe a dessert. I have had the prime aged 21 day Delmonico a half dozen times and it is well worth the price in the low $50s. We eat at Chop House weekly. I think their management and staff are outstanding.
My point is that a good restaurant of that quality should not ever run out of something as simple as a baked potato, should never overcook a steak from medium rare to well done. That ruins the experience. If management allows that, they are not good. If you have to reprint your menu to show actual price, do it. It is a cost of doing business. Like the cost of an insert.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,632 Times in 602 Posts

[I]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post

So you want your server to use a thermometer, place their finger on your steak to feel how the steak bounces back, and then have the manger do the same all before you cut into the steak. Or is the server that talented she can just look at a steak to gage if it’s mid rare. We must have some very talented waitstaff. Maybe they can guess everyone’s weight while their at it.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,430 Times in 4,398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
[I]

So you want your server to use a thermometer, place their finger on your steak to feel how the steak bounces back, and then have the manger do the same all before you cut into the steak. Or is the server that talented she can just look at a steak to gage if it’s mid rare. We must have some very talented waitstaff. Maybe they can guess everyone’s weight while their at it.
No, but you can certainly train the cook (as he specifically mentioned and you specifically ignored) to do that...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-27-2021, 05:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
[I]

I completely agree. I totally understand why the service people in TV are disgusted with the way they are treated. These are not 5 star restaurants. If something has to be corrected that's okay with me.
Old 11-27-2021, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,430 Times in 4,398 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
I completely agree. I totally understand why the service people in TV are disgusted with the way they are treated. These are not 5 star restaurants. If something has to be corrected that's okay with me.
Well, some of them charge like a 4-5 star restaurant, so if the menu fits...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-27-2021, 05:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Well, some of them charge like a 4-5 star restaurant, so if the menu fits...
They are not charging anywhere near a 5 star restaurant. The shoe does not fit!
Old 11-27-2021, 06:09 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY
Default Manager complaint doesnt warn others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I had the same experience as the OP some time back and got ripped on here for mentioning it. The meal sucked. Fortunately, it was just one time and we were going there a whole lot until Covid hit. Not ready yet.

I wouldn't give up on the place from one bad experience.
Experiences there seem to be mixed and of course objective. I've seen numerous complaints about steak being cooked poorly.. generally overdone. Complaining to the manager might get you the dinner comped, or might get you a free dessert, but having to often send a meal back makes for a very unpleasant dining experience, and should not happen at a place that calls itself a "chop house" or steak place. I find the quality of steaks there to be of poor quality (no way its prime, and probably not choice). Drive an extra half hour (yes by car and not cart) and you get a real steakhouse experience at Marks in Ocala, or Flemings (and others) in Orlando. The reason for posting here is to alert people that there are continual problems there and that there are plenty of alternatives, albeit a bit outside the bubble.
Old 11-27-2021, 06:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by valuemkt View Post
Experiences there seem to be mixed and of course objective. I've seen numerous complaints about steak being cooked poorly.. generally overdone. Complaining to the manager might get you the dinner comped, or might get you a free dessert, but having to often send a meal back makes for a very unpleasant dining experience, and should not happen at a place that calls itself a "chop house" or steak place. I find the quality of steaks there to be of poor quality (no way its prime, and probably not choice). Drive an extra half hour (yes by car and not cart) and you get a real steakhouse experience at Marks in Ocala, or Flemings (and others) in Orlando. The reason for posting here is to alert people that there are continual problems there and that there are plenty of alternatives, albeit a bit outside the bubble.
I eat there weekly and have NEVER had a problem with steaks. If you want a high end steak house go to Stirrups at the World Equestrian Center, far superior to Mark' or Flemings.
Old 11-27-2021, 07:35 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

They could walk to Winn Dixie to buy potatoes. Just lazy
Old 11-27-2021, 08:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,825 Times in 1,572 Posts
Default Just wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
They could walk to Winn Dixie to buy potatoes. Just lazy
And just what is "market price" on the baked potato today? 😀
Old 11-27-2021, 08:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,825 Times in 1,572 Posts
Default We are talking steak here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
And just what is "market price" on the baked potato today? 😀
I have had lousy steaks at expensive restaurants and absolutely marvelous steaks at small country diners. I always order my steak "bloody rare". I want it to "moo" when I stick my fork in it.
Finding a great steak is kind of like fishing. Never know what is going to snag your line.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
The sign of a good restaurant is one that does not require intervention by the manager after a problem. Hopefully he has set an atmosphere and service model that gets it right from the beginning.
Well spoken!
Closed Thread

Tags
replaced, time, table, potatoes, informed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.