Credit card fee

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2022, 08:07 AM

Perhaps dispute the additional charge with the credit card company and see where that gets you. If it's legal, at least they will be able to tell you how/why given the Florida statute that is 'not being enforced'.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy and Ed View Post
I like it!! Discount sounds and feels a lot better than Surcharge!!
Like telling a fat person that they are not fat. Their clothes are just too small.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

The other related issue is the third party tip processors.

For example if you want to tip your hair dresser by credit card, the establishment runs your card through "tippy".....a third party processor. Tippy then charges 45 cents per transaction plus 2.5% of the total amount, against your card.

Hence the hair dresser does not pay the usual credit card transaction.....you do!!

Check the amount before you sign.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:26 AM

I don’t remember ever getting up charged there for using a cc
Old 09-04-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I always pay cash in a restaurant. I won't allow my credit card to be taken into the back room where it can easily be photographed.

If restaurants start charging a fee to use a credit card, I think they will lose money because customers who pay with a credit card typically spend more money. 3.75 percent is too high. The average fee that businesses pay is about 2 percent, depending on their average transaction amount and the type of card used.
Another thing most places has Raised there food prices, and now pay for credit card fee,
Tips will go back to 15% ,

These tactics by any businessis poor business
Old 09-04-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ral51Bjl View Post
My golf ladies went to Arnold Parker’s yesterday for lunch. We knew it was pricey but the food and service are usually good. When given our checks we put our credit cards to pay the bill. When the server returned with the copy to sign, we noticed the bill was higher. I called the server over and she stated that it was a 3.75% service charge for using a credit card and this was on the bottom of checks. We don’t usually look at the bottom of the check unless it has the gratuity suggestions on it. Beware of this on your checks.
Since credit cards are encouraging everyone to use their card and get cash back this must be the way businesses are trying to fight this? Banks are now even giving points or cash back on purchases using a debit card.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:33 AM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC

I have to pay my hair dresser an extra $5 if I use a credit or debit card. She owns the business. Another way of saying “I prefer cash” ?
Old 09-04-2022, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSGirl View Post
I don’t remember ever getting up charged there for using a cc
Not for using a credit card.
Using a credit card to specifically pay the tip.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:34 AM

I’m willing to bet most businesses, especially restaurants, have these credit card fees already built into their prices so now they are just charging us double.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:38 AM

We went to Mom & Dads restaurant several months back. I went to pay the bill after the meal with a CC to find out after they rang it up that they added a surcharge…wasn’t aware of that. I did pay the bill but it should’ve been noted before they ran the CC.
Old 09-04-2022, 08:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Nothing surprises me!
Old 09-04-2022, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

For example if you want to tip your hair dresser by credit card, the establishment runs your card through "tippy".....a third party processor. Tippy then charges 45 cents per transaction plus 2.5% of the total amount, against your card.

Hence the hair dresser does not pay the usual credit card transaction.....you do!!

That would really get me annoyed and looking for new shop
Old 09-04-2022, 08:56 AM

Also, most credit card companies contractually demand that merchants are not permitted to add an charge extra fee when accepting their card. This is largely ignored and difficult or impossible for a bank to enforce.

And, even if it is/was illegal to charge extra for accepting a credit card, all the merchant has to do is raise prices 3.75% and offer a "cash discount". Businesses have been doing that for many years to get around merchant contract restrictions. You've all seen cash / credit prices at gas stations, right?

I agree with those that only pay cash at restaurants. No restaurant has ever seen my credit card. Ditto at any business where the card leaves my possession.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Interesting. The credit card fee seems to violate this Florida law.

Update: Although this Florida law is still current, a Federal court ruled that it is unconstitutional. So, it may be legal to charge the fee. Go figure.

Fla. Stat. §501.0117

(1) A seller or lessor in a sales or lease transaction may not impose a surcharge on the buyer or lessee for electing to use a credit card in lieu of payment by cash, check, or similar means, if the seller or lessor accepts payment by credit card. A surcharge is any additional amount imposed at the time of a sale or lease transaction by the seller or lessor that increases the charge to the buyer or lessee for the privilege of using a credit card to make payment. Charges imposed pursuant to approved state or federal tariffs are not considered to be a surcharge, and charges made under such tariffs are exempt from this section. A convenience fee imposed upon a student or family paying tuition, fees, or other student account charges by credit card to a William L. Boyd, IV, Florida resident access grant eligible institution, as defined in §1009.89, or to a private school, as defined in §1002.01, is not considered to be a surcharge and is exempt from this section if the amount of the convenience fee does not exceed the total cost charged by the credit card company to the institution. The term “credit card” includes those cards for which unpaid balances are payable on demand. This section does not apply to the offering of a discount for the purpose of inducing payment by cash, check, or other means not involving the use of a credit card, if the discount is offered to all prospective customers.

(2) A person who violates the provisions of subsection (1) is guilty of a misdemeanor of the second degree, punishable as provided in §775.082 or §775.083.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post

I haven't seen this on any of my charges yet and I know it didn't happen with the CC processor we used back in Md. Could be a new thing.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-04-2022, 09:31 AM

Where is Arnold Parker's anyway? LOL

Tags
checks, credit, bill, service, card

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.