Diabetes Recommendations

Closed Thread
Old 05-08-2010, 01:06 PM
Sage
Question Diabetes Recommendations

I was wondering if there any establishments, (bakeries, ice cream shops and restaurants), in TV that make any allowances for people with diabetes?

With all of the wonderful places to eat and enjoy, how does the diabetes population in the bubble cope? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

TOTV rocks!!!
Old 05-08-2010, 01:28 PM
Default Meals and lifestyle for diabetics

Hopefully your doctor has given you good guidelines on what you should eat. If you know how to order, or what to choose at a buffet, you can get wonderful meals at almost any restaurant in TV. Recommended:

* RJ Gators: Endless soup and salad at (lunchtime til 4PM) -- Conch chowder is loaded with veggies, very tasty
* Olive Garden: Endless soup and salad. Excellent minestrone soup. Pass on the breadsticks and rolls with both of these.
* Golden Corral -- wide assortment of vegetables, good salad bar; grilled or baked seafood at dinner (salmon, tilapia)
* Panera - Pick two: Black bean soup and salad with salmon
* Ruby Tuesday -- fabulous salad bar; grilled seafood

AND make your TV lifestyle a very active one -- the more exercise you get, the more latitude you have with food. Sunshine is important for diabetics too!
Old 05-08-2010, 02:42 PM
Eternal Member

It is amazing that with all of the people in TV that have diabetes that there are not more restaurants or grocery stores that cater to us.

I have been to Publix, Albertsons (gone now), Walmart and Winn Dixie and they offer a very poor selection of desserts (pies, etc) and candies for diabetics. They also offer a very small supply of mixes to make cakes, etc.

If you go to a restaurant, you will be surprised at the small number, if any, of sugar-free desserts on the menu.

I complain all of the time.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:29 AM

Bruster's Ice Cream makes no sugar added - totally fat free ice cream - usually they have at least 2 -3 flavors a day.
Zug, Switzerland
Usingen, Germany
Woodstock, GA
Old 05-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Sage

Thank you to bike42 for your excellent recommendations. They are healthy choices. Patty for your ice cream recommendation as all diabetics do have an occassional lapse from their regiment.
Z for letting me know it will be business as usual with one taking care of their health in terms of not having a great selection to choose from when one needs to have a sugar fix.

Hopefully, going forward as more people have to deal with diabetes, there will be more options. IMHO - Diabetes is becoming an epidemic in this country.
With everything so wonderful in TV, I was hoping to find some businesses that do cater to the diabetic community.

I've had type 2 diabetes for four years and mine is under control. I exercise regilously and eat properly with controlled portions several times a day.

Sorry, I didn't respond sooner as I couldn't locate this thread, (my lack of navigating this site needs improvement).

As always, it pays to be vigilant.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.