Disappointed with Darrell's

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2016, 05:46 PM
Sage
Default Disappointed with Darrell's

Today was our third time eating breakfast at Darrell's. The first time they were newly opened and very busy so we figured we would have to wait for our food a bit and we did. The seconded time we waited about 30 minutes for our eggs and French toast. We think that this is too long to wait for any breakfast item. We also thought it just may have been an off day for the kitchen and agreed to try again. Today, they were busy but not a long wait for a table, maybe 5 minutes. We ordered eggs and pancakes. Looking around, we saw a lot of people waiting for their meals and after we had been seated for about 25 minutes we heard the couple behind us asking the server about their breakfast. They were annoyed. She assured them it would be out soon. After they waited about 10 more minutes they walked out. This couple was there before we arrived. There were people sitting at the counter area waiting for their meals and when one couple got their breakfast they cheered...an indication they had been waiting a long time as well. We waited about 35-40 minutes for our breakfast and my pancake was not cooked...sent it back.....my husbands toast was just bread...sent it back as well. I asked the server why it took so long to get our food and she said they only have 3 cooks and are looking for a forth, someone that would fit in with the establishment. I'm guessing with a performance like this and many people looking anxious about not getting their breakfast in a timely manner, Darryll's could be in trouble. We feel we have given them a fair chance and they have not improved. It will be a while before we go back.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

I love Darrell's, but they are usually pretty slow. I think it's in part because they are always crowded, but they also cook everything fresh to order, no microwaved crap. I go often, but only when I have extra time.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:37 PM
Platinum member

We go to the Darrells just north of TV on 441 and have had no problems with the food or timely service. It seems to run like clockwork.
Old 03-06-2016, 06:40 PM
Platinum member

The Pinellas Plaza location's service is very slow and after several tries, we won't go back either.
Old 03-06-2016, 07:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Today was our third time eating breakfast at Darrell's. It will be a while before we go back.
Last week was our first time for Darrell's and it will almost certainly be our last. We gave them almost a year to get established and trained. I asked our server 3 times for a glass of water (needed to take pills with food) and never got it. She only took our order and that was the last we saw her except for going by with coffee refills and bringing us the check. Every time she went by I asked for "that water"? Someone else brought out the food and the server never came by to see if everything was ok. My eggs were not done as I asked but I had no one to tell. We ate what we could and left.
NOW.......before the standard question always on here "what did the manager say when you told him about it?"........I am not a consultant and don't get paid to train the manager and his staff. There are too many other places around here to eat that don't need me showing a manager how to run a restaurant.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:23 PM

Another opinion.....my golf group has eaten here 15-20 times. Never a problem.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:13 PM
Gold member

We have a late breakfast at Darrell's at least once every 2 weeks. We have found that the food is always good, so we don't mind waiting a few minutes for the meal, but we have never had a problem with slow service.

It sounds like they have lost a cook, so it was not a good day for them. They are extremely busy. But they are busy for a good reason. It is great to have a good breakfast spot like Darrell's here!
Old 03-07-2016, 04:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynan View Post
The Pinellas Plaza location's service is very slow and after several tries, we won't go back either.
Ok, what is slow to you? I'm the worlds worst on waiting for food (and standing in lines, I don't do it, especially for food), but every time we've been to Darrell's at Pinellas, we've had our food in 15 minutes tops.
Old 03-07-2016, 05:24 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmiata View Post
Another opinion.....my golf group has eaten here 15-20 times. Never a problem.
yea so you and your golf group are the reason the rest of the customers have to wait. my suggestions order a bowl of rice crispies forget the bacon and eggs and don't stretch your luck ordering french toast.
another fully utilized setting in TV
Old 03-07-2016, 08:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Breakfast is so cheap and easy to fix at home we rarely go out. The times we have gone food was ok not spectacular. Service was ok nothing outstanding. Since we have so few breakfast spots they are going to be very busy
Old 03-07-2016, 08:36 AM

We love the one in Pinellas. The staff is always friendly. Never had a problem with the food. I can get a Rueben for breakfast!

---She was only a whisky maker, but I loved her still.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:38 AM

Good Food, reasonably priced. I guess there are a lot of folks in The Villages that are not retired and always in a hurry to get here and there, with little patience. Their business model is probably based on a retired population with folks that are in no big hurry. If it meets first two criteria I am happy myself, I left the rat race when I moved here.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Darrell's service is slower than most but I know that going in.. so if I don't have the time I don't go. Keke's, RaeRae's, TooJays, Billies are all alternatives. Plus the Country Clubs buffet's. I believe Cane Garden has table service. Also, it is the time of the year when most places get crushed.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 03-07-2016, 12:57 PM
Platinum member

We have waited 45 mins after ordering and that's not counting the wait for a table (which I understand because you can judge how long that will be by the line of people) and that's not counting how long it takes for someone to take the order. Much too long.
Old 03-07-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Roberts View Post
Their business model is probably based on a retired population with folks that are in no big hurry.
I can't imagine any diner's business model being based on making people wait for their breakfast. We have eaten there 3 times. First time our wait was 30 minutes for our food, next time 45 minutes and the very last time was 30 minutes. I do not like how you only see your waitress when you order and when she brings you your check. We gave the place a chance and we won't be back.
Average minds discuss events.
Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt
Closed Thread

Tags
breakfast, minutes, long, time, couple, waited, wait, back, people, waiting, server, meals, toast, food, busy, today, eggs, darrells, bread, husbands, area, asked, cheered, 35-40, pancake

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.