Do we have Ocean-friendly restaurants in the Villages?

Do we have Ocean-friendly restaurants in the Villages?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 09:22 AM
Gold member

Top five CO2 emitting countries, in order, are China, USA, India, Russian Federation and Japan (from Investopedia, March 2018).

Old 12-18-2018, 09:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Top five CO2 emitting countries, in order, are China, USA, India, Russian Federation and Japan (from Investopedia, March 2018).
The earth is warming and greenhouse gases are rising because of increased industrialization which has halved starvation and poverty since 1990. Very few people are in denial.

Some march. I say study the problem. BUT, BUT when money is involved than human greed and ugliness can sidetrack even the best efforts.

It is not as simple as being in denial or stopping the use of straws. Some people are willing to go to great efforts to do ANYTHING they can. I know a couple who uses no heat or air conditioning here in The Villages. I know someone who hangs her clothes out to dry. I know many who use rocks in their yard.

The formulas espoused to solve the problem have become like denominations in religions, do this, don't do that, and well, I will let you finish my thoughts.

Unless and until we can find out exactly what works we all will do what we think best. We are not unkind or unfeeling, most of us. I grow a little tired of the hatred.
Old 12-18-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The earth is warming and greenhouse gases are rising because of increased industrialization which has halved starvation and poverty since 1990. Very few people are in denial.

Some march. I say study the problem. BUT, BUT when money is involved than human greed and ugliness can sidetrack even the best efforts.

It is not as simple as being in denial or stopping the use of straws. Some people are willing to go to great efforts to do ANYTHING they can. I know a couple who uses no heat or air conditioning here in The Villages. I know someone who hangs her clothes out to dry. I know many who use rocks in their yard.

The formulas espoused to solve the problem have become like denominations in religions, do this, don't do that, and well, I will let you finish my thoughts.

Unless and until we can find out exactly what works we all will do what we think best. We are not unkind or unfeeling, most of us. I grow a little tired of the hatred.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Yes recycling should be good but yes there are problems as well. It needs to be done correctly. This is another example about how we need to learn to not just accept everything at face value and look at both sides before we jump to conclusions.
Recycling is in trouble — and it might be your fault
Great article, very informative, thanks fw.
Old 12-23-2018, 11:56 AM

Johnny Rockets has great haddock!
Old 12-23-2018, 07:51 PM

Check out a company called 4 Ocean (4ocean.com)
Old 12-23-2018, 09:07 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acstover View Post
The problem with avoiding the use of straws is that the glasses may not be entirely clean. The straw allow you to drink your drink without your lips touching a possibly dirty glass.
This makes not even a tiny bit of sense. The entire contents of your beverage is in that glass. If the glass is dirty, then everything you drink from inside it is contaminated with the dirt/germs/whatever else. A straw won't change that.
Old 12-23-2018, 09:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

The point is, Gracie, that there are a myriad of things people CAN do to help reduce waste and lengthen the time our species has to exist on this planet. If you are doing NONE of those things, then yeah - haters are gonna hate, and be justified.

If you do only SOME - then hey - you're making an effort, so go you.

If you're doing lots, then kudos - you're one of the game changers.

If you're doing lots AND advocating, then you're a hero.

So you have to ask yourself - do you want to be the target of hatred? Do you want to be a hero? Or would you feel comfortable somewhere inbetween the two? Most people fall somewhere inbetween the two. That's where I am. I do "some" plus a little more, but not a whole lot. But I try. And yes I have stopped using straws at restaurants. If it's wrapped, I hand it back. Except for my pina coladas, since those are frozen and you'd have to be insane to try and sip a frozen drink from the edge of the glass.

You can actually BUY solid, washable straws now, made from bamboo. Pretty awesome for home use, plus you could always bring one with you to the restaurants.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:18 AM
Sage

[QUOTE=Jazuela;1610225]The point is, Gracie, that there are a myriad of things people CAN do to help reduce waste and lengthen the time our species has to exist on this planet.

You see, that may not be the point. Industrialization may be the point. The defining problem. Shall we stop industrialization?

Protecting the environment and planet warming may not be the same issue. Or they may overlap. My beef is with the politics of it, the veins standing out on necks not even knowing what they think they are protecting. The religiosity of some environmentalists. The passion that I think often is misplaced or misdirected.

There are, as Uncle Ernie often told me, extremely sincere and passionate and highly focused people in Hell.

I think that most caring and educated people are very close to each other on this issue. So I will do what I am doing and you can do what you are doing.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-24-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Mamros View Post
Check out a company called 4 Ocean (4ocean.com)
Thanks for your post.
It may be a rip-off company, but interesting idea nevertheless.

Last edited by Barefoot; 12-27-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
abuse, ocean, courage, locally, pictures