Don't people realize the damage when they criticize a restaurant?

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2020, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Two or three years ago wife and I went in the old Son Rise Cafe for lunch.
We were seated behind a table of eight ladies who had finished a mornings golf. They were arguing if a dollar a head was to much for a tip, as some thought 50 cents each was nearer the mark as there were eight of them after all.
Sometimes you cannot beieve what you hear!
That is bad, but what is even worse is restaurants that charge a mandatory gratuity for large groups, thereby removing all incentive for the employees to provide good service. I think the restaurant should make up the difference if a large group short changes the servers.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

I think that if there was a mandatory gratuity, and I really wish that the price of decent wages was reflected in the food instead, and you received lousy service, you could complain at the time to the manager. If that didn’t help, you could do a real number in social media (last resort).
Old 11-03-2020, 01:49 PM
Sage

To the topic, isn't the purpose of a negative restaurant review to inform people of a problem with a particular restaurant, and thereby potentially reducing their business? It's free speech, and entirely appropriate as long as the reviewer is being accurate, fair, and honest.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:52 PM

I think people are entitled to their opinion and while I consider it, but I also believe some in the parking lot idea. I think it is more of one strike.... once or twice more and I do not like it . I will probably not be back.
Old 11-03-2020, 01:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I think that if there was a mandatory gratuity, and I really wish that the price of decent wages was reflected in the food instead, and you received lousy service, you could complain at the time to the manager. If that didn’t help, you could do a real number in social media (last resort).
I have a real problem with a mandatory "gratuity" and won't accept it anywhere. It makes no sense.

It's a contradiction of terms and an insult to the customer.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:06 PM
Sage

K, I understand about mandatory gratuity, but the problem to me is that the servers are not paid a proper wage in the first place. It is assumed that they will get a gratuity. Some people won’t give it to them for any number of reasons; they are curmudgeons, cheapskates, or too poor to afford to eat out... whatever, the server ends up being short changed even after they give great service.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:27 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhurtt@twc.com View Post
Why does the restaurant industry continue to get away with not paying their employees at least the federal minimum wage, and then relying on the public (customers) to make up the difference?
Because servers make more in tips than from their base wage which adds up to substantially more than minimum wage.
Old 11-03-2020, 02:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

If people were not satisfied with their earning while working at a restaurant they would find other jobs.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:02 PM

This there's a tough call. I've been in a situation before where a particular establishment really had a bad policy for seating people during the days of heavy lines. They had tables left open all the time and just didn't hire the staff and didn't care. I never could find the owner of that establishment to ask him what he thought about three or four large tables going unused every time we were there. I did post that because I didn't feel that it should go unnoticed since the management team just literally put their nose in the air and walked away and I don't do that sort of stuff very often. So it's up to the management not in all cases but in most cases to respond at least in a nice way or give an excuses to why something is not dealing being dealt with properly if they don't I think they've created their own noose
Old 11-03-2020, 03:20 PM

Just curious. Should the health dept. stop posting health and safety issues for the public to read.
Got news for ya, poor management is poor all the way to the kitchen. The buck stops with management, if they could care less, it’s time for health and safe inspectors to show up. Let them be uppity with health inspectors. You would definitely see who has the upper hand.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Because servers make more in tips than from their base wage which adds up to substantially more than minimum wage.
Some servers may make more tips than minimum wages some times. I would like to see every server, cook etc. properly paid and if they don’t do a proper job, fired. This dependence on stranger’s generosity has to go the way of the dinosaurs.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:34 PM
Default If they don’t care about your health, they don’t care about your food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I just read a post on a Villages Restaurant Review Facebook page. This person complained that a server wasn't wearing a mask and said the manager was "rude."
This person didn't mention it's an open-air restaurant (essentially outside seating). A number of people stated they would no longer go there.

Here's my issue - most restaurants are barely making a living. If you have an issue, talk to the manager or don't go back. If they're not wearing a mask ask them to put it on. If they won't - leave. Do you need to write a negative post and put it on social media? Do you understand you are potentially impacting the viability of that business? Do you want to put people (waitstaff) out of work? They have families to support. Please know that your negative post could impact the livelihood of the waitstaff at that business.
Many times people don't tell the whole story. Yet people read and make decisions because of their post.
Think about Salmonella, Herpes, Hepatitis, .... need I go on.
Old 11-03-2020, 03:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Some servers may make more tips than minimum wages some times. I would like to see every server, cook etc. properly paid and if they don’t do a proper job, fired. This dependence on stranger’s generosity has to go the way of the dinosaurs.
For better worse tip jars are spreading and out of control.

Not to mention as you travel around the world more and more employees are tipped or expecting tips
Old 11-03-2020, 04:18 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
In these other countries the restaurant customer does pay the employees, through the price they pay for the meal that covers the overhead for the establishment. If a server gives bad service they get the same pay. Other than the threat of job loss there isn't much incentive for a salaried server to provide good service.
The service I received in Germany and Austrailia, for instance, was good and they include the service in the cost of the meal. The owner/manager makes sure it is so in order to retain customers. Poor servers don't keep their jobs if the manager is on top of it.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 11-03-2020, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,519 Times in 3,108 Posts

Be careful what you wish for with regards good tips/bad tips. If you don't like the service, tip nothing and complain to the manager. If it's not bad enough to tip nothing and complain to the manager, then it's good enough for the customary 15% tip. If you tip less than 15%, and don't talk to the manager to complain, then don't expect good service the next time you go to that restaurant.

Servers DO rely on tips in this country, like it or not. If you treat them badly even when they give you good service, they WILL remember you when you try to become a regular. I had an aunt who always tipped 50 cents, no matter what she bought. She complained of bad customer service everywhere, said no one was worth more than that. My thoughts - if she had tipped more appropriately she probably would've discovered the service is actually pretty good, but why bend over backward to please someone who will just insult you for their efforts?
Closed Thread

Tags
people, post, restaurant, put, mask

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.