Don't people realize the damage when they criticize a restaurant?

Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2020, 12:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I never ask why a person (who would like my business or money) is not wearing a mask. I simply ask them to put one on. Not up for discussion. If they don’t, I get away from them. They can do what they want but not near me.
How do you get away from a person who refuses to wear a mask if they are your server in a restaurant?
Old 11-04-2020, 01:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
How do you get away from a person who refuses to wear a mask if they are your server in a restaurant?
I stand up and leave.
Old 11-04-2020, 07:23 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I just read a post on a Villages Restaurant Review Facebook page. This person complained that a server wasn't wearing a mask and said the manager was "rude."
This person didn't mention it's an open-air restaurant (essentially outside seating). A number of people stated they would no longer go there.

Here's my issue - most restaurants are barely making a living. If you have an issue, talk to the manager or don't go back. If they're not wearing a mask ask them to put it on. If they won't - leave. Do you need to write a negative post and put it on social media? Do you understand you are potentially impacting the viability of that business? Do you want to put people (waitstaff) out of work? They have families to support. Please know that your negative post could impact the livelihood of the waitstaff at that business.
Many times people don't tell the whole story. Yet people read and make decisions because of their post.
They did ask about the mask, they did talk to the manager, outside eating doesn’t excuse you from wearing a mask, Restaurant Reviews are for both positive and negative. Could you image if a food critic only wrote positive review they would lose their credibility.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,168 Times in 1,929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
I stand up and leave.
Good move. That sends a message to management, I'm sure.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:36 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Europe

I worked for awhile in Europe (e.g. Paris and London) and their system was much better than ours. In most cases the tip was already in the bill and you didn't have to try to make a decision. In some case's being rude was a culture thing, with France being the leader and so you learn to tolerate it and move on. A good measure is to remember that in a "red rope" restaurant the amount of insults you will get are directly related to the price you are about to pay! You quickly learn to suck it up and enjoy life.
Old 11-04-2020, 08:55 AM
Default Reviews

If we go to a restaurant and receive poor/great service the tip reflects the service. Word of mouth about restaurant experiences is appropriate. I am very skeptical of online reviews, sometimes a disgruntled employee will leave a bad review as a form of retribution. Conversely management may stack good reviews in an effort to improve business. There are those folks that can never be satisfied.If we dine somewhere and are not happy we just don't return. The only comments we make to a manager are positive comments about a server.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:19 PM

Had lunch and a glass of wine at Mezza Luna today and it was excellent. The waiter was great also. Try them out. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:06 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Two or three years ago wife and I went in the old Son Rise Cafe for lunch.
We were seated behind a table of eight ladies who had finished a mornings golf. They were arguing if a dollar a head was to much for a tip, as some thought 50 cents each was nearer the mark as there were eight of them after all.
Sometimes you cannot believe what you hear!
I've heard them too ! LOL, also stood mesmerized listening to a group of 6 arguing over a $5 "tip" after a $42 ride from the airport (not in Florida).....LOL ! Now, some argue on here that people who can not afford a tip (like a family of four with one adult working making $12 an hour) should NOT eat out EVER ! ? If they saved up to take the kids for pizza and can't afford a tip, that they should just "stay home". Personally, I think even minimum wage workers try to tip what they possibly can, but stay OUT of a restaurant if you can't afford a tip... doesn't sound like a free country to me.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:22 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamley View Post
Dealing with the public in an industry that revolves around there food is the toughest of all. People don't understand when something is prepared not to their specific taste or order. I'm sure there own kitchen has issues from time to time. Things happen and they aren't done on purpose. Somethings get cooked too much and some don't get cooked enough. Be polite and give others a break as you would want to have one given to you.
I agree, just be polite ! I also do NOT understand this whole "mask thing" at all. Help must wear them )according to some people, not according to laws). But what I don't understand is the people going to the restaurants are asked to have masks on to enter, then may take them off to eat. Is the virus then instructed that it is NOT to pass to the severs who bring the food from the unmasked people who are going to eat it ? HOW does the virus know NOT to infect the people while they are eating ? Does the virus know when those eating then pay and put their masks back on that the "time out" is now over and the virus can go back to attacking people ? Same thing with the face shields that are completely open on the top and all around. Does the virus really know it is not allowed to enter all this open space ? So if it is floating in the air at the grocery from the person who went down the isle a few moments before, and sneezed, how does it know NOT to settle on the face of the person with the big piece of plastic in front of their face with nothing but open space all around ? I don't even know how a microbe is trapped by a piece of quilting cotton from JoAnn's with Disney characters on it. Don't read this wrong, I am NOT refusing to do it, I had a family member who died in the 1918 flu epidemic, but I just can't see how the virus can keep straight what and especially WHEN, it can and can not "attack". When I sit in a restaurant and see the people at the next table take off their masks, eat, talk with friends, laugh, even cough and giggle, in other words, acting perfectly normal, I wonder, does the virus know it can not spread at that moment ? What about when the servers can not make themselves understood and pull down their masks to speak, just like the cab drivers, and others, like normal people.... does the virus know and pay attention ?
Old 11-06-2020, 05:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
I agree, just be polite ! I also do NOT understand this whole "mask thing" at all. Help must wear them )according to some people, not according to laws). But what I don't understand is the people going to the restaurants are asked to have masks on to enter, then may take them off to eat. Is the virus then instructed that it is NOT to pass to the severs who bring the food from the unmasked people who are going to eat it ? HOW does the virus know NOT to infect the people while they are eating ? Does the virus know when those eating then pay and put their masks back on that the "time out" is now over and the virus can go back to attacking people ? Same thing with the face shields that are completely open on the top and all around. Does the virus really know it is not allowed to enter all this open space ? So if it is floating in the air at the grocery from the person who went down the isle a few moments before, and sneezed, how does it know NOT to settle on the face of the person with the big piece of plastic in front of their face with nothing but open space all around ? I don't even know how a microbe is trapped by a piece of quilting cotton from JoAnn's with Disney characters on it. Don't read this wrong, I am NOT refusing to do it, I had a family member who died in the 1918 flu epidemic, but I just can't see how the virus can keep straight what and especially WHEN, it can and can not "attack". When I sit in a restaurant and see the people at the next table take off their masks, eat, talk with friends, laugh, even cough and giggle, in other words, acting perfectly normal, I wonder, does the virus know it can not spread at that moment ? What about when the servers can not make themselves understood and pull down their masks to speak, just like the cab drivers, and others, like normal people.... does the virus know and pay attention ?
It sure does, it a very very intelligent virus!
Old 11-06-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I just read a post on a Villages Restaurant Review Facebook page. This person complained that a server wasn't wearing a mask and said the manager was "rude."
This person didn't mention it's an open-air restaurant (essentially outside seating). A number of people stated they would no longer go there.

Here's my issue - most restaurants are barely making a living. If you have an issue, talk to the manager or don't go back. If they're not wearing a mask ask them to put it on. If they won't - leave. Do you need to write a negative post and put it on social media? Do you understand you are potentially impacting the viability of that business? Do you want to put people (waitstaff) out of work? They have families to support. Please know that your negative post could impact the livelihood of the waitstaff at that business.
Many times people don't tell the whole story. Yet people read and make decisions because of their post.
Well said. I never take the opinion of others regarding restaurants. Just cause they don’t like it doesn’t mean I won’t.
Old 11-06-2020, 09:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,020 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgizzi View Post
Well said. I never take the opinion of others regarding restaurants. Just cause they don’t like it doesn’t mean I won’t.
Amazon, Yelp, hotels etc almost everything is rated and reviewed. Can I presume you always ignore them also?
Old 11-08-2020, 09:48 PM
Veteran member

In this case, the so called negative review would be a green flag to me to visit that open air restaurant. I'm o.k. with a lax view on masks in an open air environment in particular - take them off, be free for goodness sake. I also think that the masks are unsanitary and are not healthy for the employees forced to wear them for hours on end. I've seen studies that say that extended mask wearing leads to a higher rate of respiratory infections. They are better off breathing circulating, fresh air.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:04 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
But, but, but....the experts say that these homemade cloth masks save lives. Surely that must be true .
Old 11-09-2020, 10:53 AM

Excellent post. Everyone should work a week in a restaurant. A good restaurant owner welcomes a legitimate complaint. It's an opportunity to correct a mistake. The chances of serving hundreds of people each day without a mistake is zero. If you give me a chance to fix a mistake, that gives me a chance to make a customer for life. A bad experience gets told about 100 times usually with some extra jam. A good experience only about 10 times. Been there. Done that. Wrote a paragraph
Closed Thread

Tags
people, post, restaurant, put, mask

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.