Ernest Hemingway's at Havana

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2014, 06:15 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I, for one, do not like the foo foo colors in some of the restaurants and rec centers. White and frilly belong in ladies' lunch spots. Dark woods and leather and bamboo and mahogany are condusive to warm, romantic interludes. Havana has always had the atmosphere, but lacked quality food and service. Thing are looking up!
Old 04-13-2014, 11:51 PM

Four of us had drinks on the patio and dinner inside. We were all very happy that Havana is finally fixed and we have another great restaurant near us. Dinner was excellent as was the service and cost.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Veteran member

We had drinks & appetizers at the bar on Sunday. Food was good, service needed a little more experience. To clarify, one young lady told us there was no food service on the patio under the umbrellas until they hired more people, yet the hostess at the door had told us we could be served food there after 4PM. She said the kitchen was just shut down for an hour while they switched from the lunch to the dinner menu.

When we were settled at the bar, the server told us the oysters were a serving of six, but there were actually eight (a pleasant surprise but our server should know their menu). Also, there was confusion on who could ring up our food if he wasn't the initial bartender who took our order. Additionally my Cosmopolitan was made too sweetly, but overall it was a pleasant experience and we'll go back.

Bottom line, we agree with other posters that it is nice to have a good restaurant in this area. Love the play on the new name.
Old 04-17-2014, 05:39 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
Perhaps with all the changes they made to the kitchen they didn't have time to remodel the dining area and still open as quickly as they did. I didn't go to Havana enough to tell if they changed the upholstery and/or added the ceramics in the booths. Anyone know?
As long as the food is good, I'm happy.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
I, for one, do not like the foo foo colors in some of the restaurants and rec centers. White and frilly belong in ladies' lunch spots. Dark woods and leather and bamboo and mahogany are condusive to warm, romantic interludes. Havana has always had the atmosphere, but lacked quality food and service. Thing are looking up!
Agree! Always thought the interior was very classy, just not happy with their food. Looking forward to a new Hemingway's at Havana!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-17-2014, 06:19 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I you have never been a fan of the decor at Lopez, but have really liked the Havana interior. My spouse had lunch there the other day and said the food was very good. I didn't realize Lopez served higher quality meats i.e. chicken that is hormone free. That is a real plus and worth paying a little extra for IMHO. We'll definitely be checking it out for dinner some night.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:21 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,777 Times in 3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Got'a agree with you on the foo foo. Some of the brand-new facilities are coming from the same cans of paint. Sad to see it, but someone must like it.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:53 PM

A member of our group called and asked for reservations at 12:30. They said they didn't take reservations and that it would be no problem to be seated. We waited for just shy of an hour! In the meantime, after a long delay, we got someone to serve us beverages on the patio. The waitress clearly was not taught by management how to serve drinks. She handled the glasses from the top where one puts their lips if not using a straw. To be fair to this new place, I have seen this in many places here in The Villages. Does no one know how to serve drinks? On the plus side, the lunch I had was delicious and everyone else thought theirs was good, also.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:59 PM
Sage
Default lunch?

I was wondering if the new Havana would be a place to stop for lunch after golf? Do they have reasonably prices lunches?
Old 04-18-2014, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I agree with you Bogie. You can please some of the people some of the time but rarely about restaurants in The Villages.

I am looking forward to eating at Ernest Hemingway's at Havana and think the décor is perfect. I bet the food will be yummy too. Some of my favorite food critics told me they enjoyed it.

Always like Lopez and Palmer.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:15 PM
Veteran member

It is impossible to please everyone, and thankfully we have many choices here. If you want a $10 dinner, don't complain that the meals are mediocre. When you get a better dinner with quality ingredients, expect to pay more. The choice is yours. Better food and cheaper prices. Pick one. If the decor at Hemmingway's does not suit you, then neither does Palmer's, which is also dark. If you want a lighter room, try Lopez. We are fortunate to have three higher quality restaurants in this small town. I love all three. You'll find me at Hemingway's frequently as it is so close to home. Bon appetit.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpkinp View Post
It is impossible to please everyone, and thankfully we have many choices here. If you want a $10 dinner, don't complain that the meals are mediocre. When you get a better dinner with quality ingredients, expect to pay more. The choice is yours. Better food and cheaper prices. Pick one. If the decor at Hemmingway's does not suit you, then neither does Palmer's, which is also dark. If you want a lighter room, try Lopez. We are fortunate to have three higher quality restaurants in this small town. I love all three. You'll find me at Hemingway's frequently as it is so close to home. Bon appetit.
Very well said!!!
Old 04-20-2014, 11:13 PM
Location: Lived in Chatham for 3 years. Moved to Mira Mesa in 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
I don't mind the prices at Havana now, but I do agree with Annie about how it is dark brown and depressing inside the dining and bar areas.

When we walked in there a few days ago I'd been hoping for a change in interior that was not so dark and creepy. When I saw the same brown, cellar looking walls, floor and interior, all I could think of was "Well, Hemingway did commit suicide".

And I disagree that dark colors are more typical of S. Florida and Cuba. The Hemingway home in Key West is anything but dark and depressing
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrich61 View Post
Connie:
I tried for 3 years to sell my timeshare and then ended up selling it online with Sell timeshare Buy timeshare Timeshare resale - Time share for sale and rent. Timeshares Only. I lost a lot of money BUT got out of special assessments coming up AND if you have a deeded timeshare you can write off your loss on your taxes as a long term capital loss....
inside, as seen in these photos starting with the 4th one down:

There's a place I dream about: Writers in Key West

I was hoping the Lopez management would give it some of the interior design flare they've done at Lopez. Maybe they'll do that with time.
Enjoyed your attachment. Very interesting and no dark and depressing interiors.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:35 AM
Veteran member

Went to Hemmingway's again on Saturday with friends. I had the Shrimp and Grits. I never thought I would eat anything like that. It was absolutely delicious. Friends had the Lobster Mac and Cheese, another strange combination, but it was also outstanding. Love that place.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:56 PM
Veteran member

wife and I went today, very good food and service and not dark at all. A few dollars more than other CC's but definitely worth it. For those interested ( not us) many gluten free dishes available.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.