Ernest Hemingway's at Havana

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2014, 09:58 PM

Went today for lunch, much better than several months ago. Excellent service, menu not quite to my taste, but friends all enjoyed their food, and I was still able to find something that was very good.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:31 PM

Just finished 4 complete years here in The Villages. We have double and triple check all of the country clubs, have our favorites, have our "not again". Havana was at the top of the "Not Again" list and swore off of ever going again after two very dissatisfying experiences, including a Thanksgiving special. I am a forgiving soul though, and last night after we left the house to have dinner, at the last minute, we decided to go to Havana. Didn't know there had been a change until we pulled in the parking lot and saw the new logo and the entrance niceties. Not a seating problem as we generally avoid that hassle by going early. WOW ! The service, food and every other imaginable aspect were superior. I personally think the darker atmosphere fits the "Old Cuba" persona, though not my choice either. The menu was like reading a Hemingway writing. I can't wait to try them all. I followed the recommendation and had shrimp and grits and I am glad that I did. If you told me prior that I had ordered anything to do with grits I would have questioned your sanity - grits are for the confederacy cliental, not Hoosiers. Best meal and overall dining experience in our four years, bar none ! Prices are a bit higher than most, but I have always said I'll judge that on the food presented, and I got my money's worth multiplied. I cannot believe I let this one get past me as I drive by on the way to Publix nearly every day.....
Hemingway's Havana goes to the top of our favs.
The re-birth was monumental !!
Old 06-29-2014, 07:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

A "not again" recinded.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
A "not again" recinded.
Make it two. I was quite impressed last week - after saying I would not go again.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:14 AM

no...but they certainly aren't $800,000 homes...are they....mostly like the rest of the villages 200-400,000 take a look hardly rich folks....they are just normal...at lopez...they own VERY $$$$$$$ homes....i can't afford a steak for $34.00...sorry...
Old 07-10-2014, 02:20 AM

went with a friend there to pick up food...still a dark dingy place...i hear the service people are NOT allowed to smile or talk to customers...hmmmm thats probably why all the havana people left....the help does seem very sad...it must be very hard to work at a place like that...they all seemed depressed....the manager walk by and looked at us like.."what you are looking at"?? very strange..not even friendly. no hello...nothing..only 3 people there...gee i wonder why !!!??!! food very $$$$$ about $3-8 over other places
Old 07-10-2014, 02:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie01 View Post
no...but they certainly aren't $800,000 homes...are they....mostly like the rest of the villages 200-400,000 take a look hardly rich folks....they are just normal...at lopez...they own VERY $$$$$$$ homes....i can't afford a steak for $34.00...sorry...
That is the going rate for quality beef depending upon the cut and size. A good restaurant has a lot of overhead and must make money or close down. There are plenty of affordable restaurants in this area, so why obsess over Hemingway's?
Old 07-18-2014, 03:04 PM

We went to Hemingway yesterday for dinner after golf (around 5:30 PM). Everything was great! We went in the back door from the golf course and walked to the hostess station. We were seated in minutes. The hostess chatted with us and gave us our menus. The waitress was at our table in 2 minutes or less. We ordered 2 pasta dishes - Apricot Chicken Chorizo and Shrimp Jardinera. These dishes were absolutely terrific. Since it was our anniversary, we splurged and had dessert - key lime pie and a spice cake - they were very good. The waitress stated that they get their desserts from the Wildwood Cottilion (sp). Bottom line - this was a VERY good experience. Go check it out for yourself!
Old 07-18-2014, 03:30 PM

Have eaten there several times since it changed hands and we have been VERY pleased each time...Our servers have been exceptionally friendly; the food has been excellent and we have been served in a timely manner...We ate there last night and 2 of us had "Papa's filet", one had the salmon and one had the plantain chicken salad....All of us enjoyed our meals and we look forward to going again...
Old 07-18-2014, 03:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I don't know who stated that the servers weren't allowed to smile or chat with the customers. Could that have been someone being facetious and AnnieO misinterpreted what they said? Did a waitress say that? Because our waitresses have always been chatty and friendly. Perhaps the poster got a wrong impression since she was only there long enough to pick up food. I wouldn't slam a place after such a short pass-through.

We are very happy that the old Havana has been resurected and the problems fixed. We like the quiet, muted decor, the food, and the waitstaff. And yes, it is expensive anywhere to get a steak at a good restaurant. You're better off buying one from Fresh Market and grilling it at home.

Last edited by CFrance; 07-18-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:41 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

We have eaten there a few times since it was reopened and each experience was excellent. Servers were friendly and knowledgeable. Food was plentiful and well prepared, yes it's a little more expensive.

I for one am willing to pay for better service and food. If you want to eat for less there are plenty of options.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.