Farm raised fish vs wild

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
CFrance, I'm not quite sure what to make of your response to my post. Perhaps you would explain.

Maybe I was too subtle. To make it plain, I could live on seafood. I eat everything I listed except snails and eels. When given a choice I usually eat fried (yes, fried!) corn-fed farm-raised catfish, with hushpuppies and cole slaw. I've been known to have an appetizer of gator tail as well.

I also eat out frequently and often have beef or chicken. About the only thing I won't eat is liver.

I also love salads and use a variety of dressings; my favorite is oil and vinegar. I don't obsess about pesticides or insist on "organic" foods.

I believe I eat such a wide variety of foods that there is no one food that is so contaminated that it is going to harm me when eaten in reasonable quantities.

Yep, I eat fruit, vegetables, dairy and God's Gift to mankind, chocolate.

It's all good................................

I thought your post was serious on one level and hysterical on another. Appreciated it.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
And.....some species of fish are never farmed raised. I saw in Publix today swordfish that they said was wild caught. That's one fish that would never be farmed raised. These fish are very deep water, always on the move fish.
Swordfish are reportedly very high in mercury contamination,

Also:
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	MercuryFoodChain-01.png
Views:	93
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	28488  
Old 12-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Veteran member

So many people worry so much about what they eat they can't enjoy anything they eat anymore. What a shame.

I think when you think about adding minor amounts of the newest fruit or vegetable or protein that is supposed to extend your life or make you healthier you are just kidding yourself. How old do you want to be anyway? I see a whole bunch of old people in nursing homes that would be better off dead.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
So many people worry so much about what they eat they can't enjoy anything they eat anymore. What a shame.

I think when you think about adding minor amounts of the newest fruit or vegetable or protein that is supposed to extend your life or make you healthier you are just kidding yourself. How old do you want to be anyway? I see a whole bunch of old people in nursing homes that would be better off dead.
I wouldn't say I "worry" about what I eat, but I do stay informed and am careful about what I eat. I can assure you I ENJOY every bite!! Not a shame, at all. Don't feel sorry for those of us who try to eat what we consider to be healthy. I can only speak for myself, but I LOVE the way I eat and enjoy the physical benefits and well as the mental high that comes from doing something good for myself. What could be more fulfilling than doing what you feel is the best you can do for your body?

I don't understand what "adding minor amounts of the newest fruit or vegetable or protein" means....?? I don't follow fad diets, and I don't need to lose weight. I eat what my research tells me is good for me. I also don't mind doing the research. I have a genuine interest and I like most things generally considered the healthiest foods.

My hope is not necessarily just to live longer, but to live better. I want to be as active and healthy as long as I can instead of being "sick" in my final years. I don't want to be on a bunch of medications either. The typical diet will definitely increase the chances of developing any number of ailments....Food as Medicine!! If eating an apple now instead of a piece of cake (usually) means I will have more years of actually being able to feed myself, I'm all in!!!

I wanted to respond because so often people seem to misunderstand what motivates me (and others) to eat the way I do and seem to think I am somehow deprived. On the contrary, I feel very fortunate, particularly since a reasonable amount of red wine is considered healthy...
Old 12-19-2013, 11:19 PM
Veteran member

I am confused. Wouldn't farm raised fish be better than fish caught in the wild? And it would certainly prevent over-fishing and depleting the oceans. Farm raised would have a regulated diet, raised in conditions where disease and such would be eliminated. Isn't it the same as harvesting blueberries from bushes growing wild on the side of the road or ones raised on blueberry farms? What about wild turkeys shot by hunters Vs turkey raised on farms?
Old 12-19-2013, 11:31 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Farmed fish are crammed in together with lots of poop, as was mentioned. Therefore, in order to keep the fish from spreading diseases, they put antibiotics in the feed. Then when people eat the fish they get those antibiotics in their system. That's not good because we can develop a resistance. If we get a bacterial infection later in life, as often happens, the antibiotics might not work.

This doesn't happen from one fish meal. It's a cumulative effect that comes from eating various kinds of animal protein that has been treated with antibiotics.

The other issue is: Omega 3 fatty acids vs Omega 6 fatty acids. Wild cold-water fish, is usually rich in omega-3. And that is healthy. Farm raised grain-fed fish, will likely be high in omega 6, just like grain fed beef.

Most people will think, "hey, lets be healthy and have fish tonight." Sorry, if it's farm raised and grain fed (or even if it's not grain fed) it won't be much healthier than eating grain fed beef, assuming the fat content is about the same.

As far as mercury contamination in wild fish: You can choose small fish rather than large. Small fish like wild Flounder is safe to eat. Ditto for sardines etc..
travelguy....Maybe you missed this post. That's the problem most people, who prefer wild, have with farm raised.

Last edited by casita37; 12-19-2013 at 11:33 PM. Reason: reworded
Old 12-20-2013, 08:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
That may be true, I never really thought about it before. Here's something I just learned: Farm raised salmon are fed pellets of chicken feces.

You can find that by searching: "Seven reasons to avoid farm raised salmon."

...and if isn't true, it cannot be on the internet. "Bon jour"
Old 12-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
...and if isn't true, it cannot be on the internet. "Bon jour"
Probably posted by someone that live catches salmon
Old 12-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

Also:
As a kid I would bust open thermometers and play with mercury in my hand.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 12-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
As a kid I would bust open thermometers and play with mercury in my hand.
Ahhh... That explains it.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:01 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Ahhh... That explains it.
And other things
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	15.4 KB
ID:	28514  

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 12-20-2013, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
And other things
I'm so glad you're back. Merry Christmas, you goofball.
Old 12-20-2013, 06:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Also:
This is true and why I don't eat it anymore.
Old 12-20-2013, 09:43 PM
Platinum member

I had 25 shrimp and rice pilaf for dinner. Don't know if they were wild caught or farmed.

Don't care. They tasted great.

Old 12-23-2013, 04:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Not true. I'm concerned about what I eat just like you might be concerned about your golf game or your car etc.. It doesn't mean you won't enjoy golf or going for a ride in your car. It just means being conscientious. It may never have occurred to you that some people might enjoy eating healthy foods. I happen to get great enjoyment from avoiding junk-food and eating healthy foods.

Quote:
I think when you think about adding minor amounts of the newest fruit or vegetable or protein that is supposed to extend your life or make you healthier you are just kidding yourself.
How do you know it's not the other way around? Where are the scientific studies to show that poor diets make people live longer and healthier? Poor diets subtract years from your life. Read the obituary page and you will see there's no shortage of people dying in their 60s and early 70s.

Quote:
How old do you want to be anyway? I see a whole bunch of old people in nursing homes that would be better off dead.
People who live healthy lifestyles generally don't end up in nursing homes. They tend to stay independent. And if you stay healthy, you will live a long life. On the other hand, people who live unhealthy lifestyles sometimes live into their 80s but the last 10 to 15 years are usually of very poor quality.

I'll soon be 73 and I'm still in good (drug free) health. The way I feel (young) I think I can keep going another 27 years in good health.

Last edited by Villages PL; 12-27-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.