Farm raised fish vs wild

Closed Thread
Old 12-19-2013, 09:46 AM

There is definitely is a difference with farm raised Atlantic salmon and wild Alaskan salmon in coloration and taste.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
Here is the link to their menu.
They do serve chicken, steak and salads.
Sam's St.johns Seafood menu - Summerfield, FL 34491 - (352) 307-7387
Thanks for the menu. Under the heading, Fishermans Catch, it says, "Catch of the day". That section sounds like it would be wild caught fish. And they have Flounder Fillet for $11.99. And Flounder is a cold water fish, just what I need to supply the healthy omega 3 fatty acids. Yahoo!

I just hope I'm right about it being wild. If not, I can always get the grilled chicken salad. The only problem with salads is trying to pick out a healthy dressing.....there's probably no such thing as a healthy restaurant dressing.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:12 PM
Email Reported As Spam

There is so much misinformation going around about food and health, safety and nutritional issues. Perhaps someone needs to perfect food pills so we can eliminate all the concerns . We are becoming a country of alarmist, reactionaries anxiety prone fearful distrustful and unable to make our own decisions and choices. Geeezzzz
Old 12-19-2013, 01:16 PM
Sage

I thought the chart on the attached page would be helpful in determination of Omega 3 for anyone interested. The flounder is pretty far down on the list but both farm raised and wild salmon is at the top.

Seafood Health Facts: Making Smart Choices
Old 12-19-2013, 01:19 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
My issue with farm raised is not the difference in taste, but how they are raised. Would rather risk a little mercury than the poop they swim around in. Maybe we can start a fish poop thread!
And what exactly do you think fish in the wild eat?

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
There is so much misinformation going around about food and health, safety and nutritional issues. Perhaps someone needs to perfect food pills so we can eliminate all the concerns . We are becoming a country of alarmist, reactionaries anxiety prone fearful distrustful and unable to make our own decisions and choices. Geeezzzz
And now we hear that washing hands with anti-bacterial soap may be a negative, not a positive. It's probably best to rely on our own common sense, not what we read. It seems we've turned into a society of anxiety-prone reactionaries (nice choice of words Rubicon).
Old 12-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Sage
Default No one has mentioned antibiotics:

Farmed fish are crammed in together with lots of poop, as was mentioned. Therefore, in order to keep the fish from spreading diseases, they put antibiotics in the feed. Then when people eat the fish they get those antibiotics in their system. That's not good because we can develop a resistance. If we get a bacterial infection later in life, as often happens, the antibiotics might not work.

This doesn't happen from one fish meal. It's a cumulative effect that comes from eating various kinds of animal protein that has been treated with antibiotics.

The other issue is: Omega 3 fatty acids vs Omega 6 fatty acids. Wild cold-water fish, is usually rich in omega-3. And that is healthy. Farm raised grain-fed fish, will likely be high in omega 6, just like grain fed beef.

Most people will think, "hey, lets be healthy and have fish tonight." Sorry, if it's farm raised and grain fed (or even if it's not grain fed) it won't be much healthier than eating grain fed beef, assuming the fat content is about the same.

As far as mercury contamination in wild fish: You can choose small fish rather than large. Small fish like wild Flounder is safe to eat. Ditto for sardines etc..

Last edited by Villages PL; 12-19-2013 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
It's the food industry that is creating the concerns, anxiety, fear and distrust. We have less and less natural whole foods anymore. To not be concerned we would either have to be ignorant of the facts or else in denial.
Old 12-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
And now we hear that washing hands with anti-bacterial soap may be a negative, not a positive. It's probably best to rely on our own common sense, not what we read. It seems we've turned into a society of anxiety-prone reactionaries (nice choice of words Rubicon).
It only becomes common sense after people read about it. :-)
Old 12-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Sage
Default Search:

Search the following: "Seven reasons to avoid farmed raised salmon".
Old 12-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Carl, Carl, Carl!
CFrance, I'm not quite sure what to make of your response to my post. Perhaps you would explain.

Maybe I was too subtle. To make it plain, I could live on seafood. I eat everything I listed except snails and eels. When given a choice I usually eat fried (yes, fried!) corn-fed farm-raised catfish, with hushpuppies and cole slaw. I've been known to have an appetizer of gator tail as well.

I also eat out frequently and often have beef or chicken. About the only thing I won't eat is liver.

I also love salads and use a variety of dressings; my favorite is oil and vinegar. I don't obsess about pesticides or insist on "organic" foods.

I believe I eat such a wide variety of foods that there is no one food that is so contaminated that it is going to harm me when eaten in reasonable quantities.

Yep, I eat fruit, vegetables, dairy and God's Gift to mankind, chocolate.

It's all good................................

Old 12-19-2013, 02:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
That may be true, I never really thought about it before. Here's something I just learned: Farm raised salmon are fed pellets of chicken feces.

You can find that by searching: "Seven reasons to avoid farm raised salmon."
Old 12-19-2013, 03:57 PM

Most fish itself is mislabeled. You're not buying the species of fish you think you're buying. I'd imagine as far as farm vs wild, the answer will be...whatever they think you want to hear.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
Other fish? But they live in whatever washes into the sea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Supposedly kills all but resistant bacteria. Same thing happens in hospitals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
It's the food industry that is creating the concerns, anxiety, fear and distrust. We have less and less natural whole foods anymore. To not be concerned we would either have to be ignorant of the facts or else in denial.
The "food industry", the name says it all...food for profit. Manufactured food. It's addicting (designed that way) and horrible for you. But they pay taxes and politicians...so, it's here to stay. I fall victim to it, I never buy fresh fruits or vegetables. Do onions count? I do buy them... I eat meat and dairy mostly.

I do stay away (for the most part) from packaged snacks.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray607 View Post

Some species of fish are almost entirely farm raised e.g. Atlantic Salmon.
As far as I know haddock are not farmed, but cod are.
And.....some species of fish are never farmed raised. I saw in Publix today swordfish that they said was wild caught. That's one fish that would never be farmed raised. These fish are very deep water, always on the move fish.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.