Folks from Mass (Boston/North Shore): good pizza, roast beef sandwiches, Chinese food

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2023, 06:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,941 Times in 930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
My nutritionist would disagree with you. Salads are chock full of fat and oils. (Think oily or creamy dressing and cheese) If you get them at a restaurant, one salad may have more calories than you are supposed to eat the entire day. Plus, eating too many raw vegetables, spinach for example, can interfere with your medications, give you digestive issues, toxic amount of vitamin k, and kidney stones. At our age, it is always best to eat a variety of foods and cooked vegetables are easier on the body.
correct! some salad is good but not entire meals and not without some animal/fish proteins. on some, too many raw vegetables blocks the entire system up. . . and results in nasty crop dusting
Old 09-18-2023, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,340 Times in 5,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
correct! some salad is good but not entire meals and not without some animal/fish proteins. on some, too many raw vegetables blocks the entire system up. . . and results in nasty crop dusting
Not a fan of Boston baked beans on a salad?
Old 11-04-2023, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudder View Post
Nothing like Kelly's roast beef around The Villlages, no Kowloon either, Papa Gino's forget it. You'll notice a BIG difference in Dunkin too. No Woodman's for fried clams, no Beach Plum for Lobstah rolls either.
But we survived, lots of fun decent places around here!
Kellys Roast Beef uses James River BBQ Sauce for the roast beef sandwiches. You can find it on Amazon. I've tried it and I can't tell the difference.

On a side note does anyone know where I can get New England Style hot dog rolls near The Villages?
Old 11-04-2023, 11:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,045 Times in 466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu4206 View Post

On a side note does anyone know where I can get New England Style hot dog rolls near The Villages?
I have seen Pepperidge Farm rolls at Publix. Possibly, Arnold also.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	hd buns.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	101030  
Old 11-05-2023, 05:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,533 Times in 2,583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Many thanks for the link.

Some of those inspection reports are beyond belief!
Thank heavens the inspectors do not visit private houses.
We turned to living in squalor just after Covid lock down kicked in.
Even the roaches left our place in disgust!
Old 11-05-2023, 07:39 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post

As far as pastrami, I can actually make a good pastrami myself. I have corned the beef brisket then seasoned it and smoked it into an excellent pastrami. Maybe I found my retirement business. Lol.
Be sure to let us know if you get into pastrami as a retirement sideline.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:19 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Figure this is a good place to find all sorts of info. Be moving there soon.

Anyhow, as anyone from Boston/North Shore can attest, we are snobs on pizza, roast beef sandwiches and even Chinese food. Heck when I moved closer to Worcester I couldn't even find good Chinese nor roast beef.

So what I'm looking for is roast beef like Kelly's. Warm beef slices on a sesame or onion roll, American cheese, and bbq sauce.

Pizza, needs to be Italian style, not Greek. God I'd kill for a Santarpios pizza. But heck even Papa Ginos is acceptable.

Chinese, well if you are from the North Shore, you know Kowloon style. That's what I'd be looking for.

Please no haters. The food IS NOT A DEAL BREAKER. If you want to tell me to stay in Massachusetts, just move along. This is for fun and to hear what there is for fast casual stuff around the Villages. It does not matter if the food doesn't live up to what I have in Massachusetts. I'm just trying to learn more.
Piesano"s is the closest I've come to compare to Papa Gino's but never found anything close to Pizza Regina or Polcari's.

Haven't found anything close to roast beef like Kelly's or even Buzzy's if you remember them. I haven't found a Hot pastrami like any from the north end either.

The only thing I've found in the way of Chinese is one's where you sit around the fire table and get your eyebrows cinged! Nothing great take out wise in the style and taste of the Kowloon.
Old 11-05-2023, 08:47 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofbeer View Post
With all due respect, never heard of Mass style pizza. Nor I have seen it advertised in Florida or anywhere else in the world. "We serve Massachussets Style Pizza". New Haven pizza is the best IMHO.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,697 Times in 3,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Smoker sometimes 2 on corner of 466 and rolling acres. Haven’t been there in awhile. Too far away, There are 3 up in Gainesville we frequent one smokes brisket, one pork, and the new guy is doing Greek.

My family in KY has a 10’x15’ triple high smoker at the farm, family takes bbq seriously.
The good news, is that I've since learned that I make a kickin pot of Jambalaya. Got it off a recipe from People Magazine, of all places. Then after my guests said it was as good as any they've had in New Orleans, I looked up the person who wrote the recipe. She specializes in Cajun and Creole cooking and is a renowned chef. Mine, I'm sure, didn't come out nearly as perfect as hers does but she probably has access to hog butchers who make the sausage to her exact specifications. I get the andouille sausage from the supermarket.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
Another perplexing post. I don’t believe I said Massachusetts style pizza anywhere in this thread. I described the style of pizza that I love and we have in Massachusetts. I gave examples of the best places.

But I’m glad you are happy I was called out for it. lol.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:34 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by midiwiz View Post
Why is it that everyone relocating here thinks that what they currently have is offered up down here????? This is Florida, it isn't NY, Mass, NJ PA etc. DO NOT expect anything you have been living with to be here - this is NOT a replication factory. It took years to find stuff for us that would replace things we like, and now being in TV it's even worse. The middle of Florida is nothing but blah, it's cracker heaven which actually is better than beach side.

Borrom line don't expect anything and you'll be happier.
Because it never occurred to us that the foods we eat WOULDN'T be here. I mean, I've lived in Florida before, outside Ft. Lauderdale. Everything the OP is looking for, DECENT pizza, Chinese food, deli roast beef sandwiches - is all right there. There are Jewish delis you can get excellent pastrami and mouth-wateringly-delicious rye bread, belly lox and smoked sable...

If you can get it in Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami, and Tampa, and West Palm, why can't you get it in The Villages? The answer: The Villages is not a diverse area, therefore there's no call for authentic diverse dining options. Why do we assume it would be here when we move here? Answer: we are products of our environment and never expect drastic differences when we move to another part of the same country that is known to have a population that comes from EVERYWHERE.

I mean even Delray Beach now has a Frank Pepe Pizzeria.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:36 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Just have to say I’ve always said “subs” and I’ve been in Massachusetts my entire life. Never ever heard anyone say “grinder”. I have seen it on some signs in the metro west area.
Connecticut usage. Not sure about other areas.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steban View Post
The beef part is easy. Get a rump or eye round. I like to season them with Montreal Steak Seasoning. Don’t be shy! Vacuum seal the beef. Sous Vide at 135° for 24 hours. Heat up the grill on full blast or use the broiler in your oven to make a nice bark. Keep an eye on it turning the beef as it chars. Slice it on a meat slicer or as thin as you can hand carve it. Put it on a fresh Publix bakery roll with the toppings of your choice. We like our beef with vidalia onion and fresh made horseradish sauce.
If you only want enough for two sandwiches, and don't plan on eating the same meat source every day until the entire rump is gone, then no. The beef part isn't easy at all. Even more difficult if you don't have a vacuum sealer. Or a meat slicer.

Seems like a lot of work and a lot of expense for just a couple of sandwiches once every month or two.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:49 AM
Location: Georgia, S.C., Pa., West Va.,Tenn, Tx, Fl. Hemingway
Default Regional Cuisine

Quote:
Figure this is a good place to find all sorts of info. Be moving there soon.

Anyhow, as anyone from Boston/North Shore can attest, we are snobs on pizza, roast beef sandwiches and even Chinese food. Heck when I moved closer to Worcester I couldn't even find good Chinese nor roast beef.

So what I'm looking for is roast beef like Kelly's. Warm beef slices on a sesame or onion roll, American cheese, and bbq sauce.

Pizza, needs to be Italian style, not Greek. God I'd kill for a Santarpios pizza. But heck even Papa Ginos is acceptable.

Chinese, well if you are from the North Shore, you know Kowloon style. That's what I'd be looking for.

Please no haters. The food IS NOT A DEAL BREAKER. If you want to tell me to stay in Massachusetts, just move along. This is for fun and to hear what there is for fast casual stuff around the Villages. It does not matter if the food doesn't live up to what I have in Massachusetts. I'm just trying to learn more.
I understand your desire for these foods. We have done a bit of traveling and love to try local specialties. I think the northeast has some of the best foods, but locals even want their speciality from one restaurant. Having been to a few I can understand that. For a southener it is all very good. I'll be looking for some recommendations here because I know some will say there are none that qualify. Second best I'm sure will satisfy me just fine unless I go to Mass again. One of my desires is "Good" Texas Brisket.
Old 11-05-2023, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al2014 View Post
I understand your desire for these foods. We have done a bit of traveling and love to try local specialties. I think the northeast has some of the best foods, but locals even want their speciality from one restaurant. Having been to a few I can understand that. For a southener it is all very good. I'll be looking for some recommendations here because I know some will say there are none that qualify. Second best I'm sure will satisfy me just fine unless I go to Mass again. One of my desires is "Good" Texas Brisket.
I make a great Texas brisket. But when I get to the Villages full time I won’t have my stick burner. Probably just a pellet smoker. But I’ll see how it goes. I’ve been told by Texans my brisket is as good as Aaron Franklins. Of course I learned by watching his videos. I’m assuming I won’t have a good wood supply to do all wood smoking in the Villages.
Closed Thread

Tags
beef, chinese, pizza, roast, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.