Folks from Mass (Boston/North Shore): good pizza, roast beef sandwiches, Chinese food

Old 01-04-2024, 09:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajr View Post
“Hero” is definitely NOT a Massachusetts word!!!
But a good Hero is a good Hero.

Now if only we can get a good Greek restaurant here.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Yankee Magazine obviously believes that New Englanders are frugal too.

From their September 1990 issue of Yankee Magazine, their issue devoted to Yankee frugality:

"After learning untold uses for dryer lint, worn-out panty hose, and used dental floss, we present the winners of the Yankee frugality contest. In our September 1990 issue of Yankee Magazine, our issue devoted to Yankee frugality, we asked for your own frugal tips and anecdotes. You responded with more than 200 letters, many of them typed or written on the back of envelopes, brown paper bags, used computer paper, and other imaginative stationary. You told us what to do with worn-out socks and panty hose, how to stretch tea bags, and the best methods for splitting and resewing sheets to make them last longer. You suggested a remarkable variety of uses for vinegar, mothballs, salt, baking soda, dryer lint, and the little balls of cotton that come in pill bottles. We received two poems about thrift and one recipe for road kill. Your anecdotes were priceless. We heard about a man who stopped his clocks before going to bed every night and started them again in the morning and a family that always turned the lights out while eating dinner. We learned how to reuse helium balloons, refrigerator light bulbs, and dental floss. You told us how to make things last. ..."

(Are you assuming that I am a Non-New-Englander?)
If Yankee Magazine had a contest for the most decorative pottery designs, would you come here and proclaim that New England is known for its pottery designs?

There's a term for this - when you start with a conclusion, and then cherry pick sources that will prove your conclusion true.

Historically, New England was known for frugality. Back when the Pilgrims showed up and had very little, and had to "make do". Maine has clusters where there are very poor people who live in the state's forests, and have to "make do" with natural resources, doing their own hunting/trapping and sewing their own clothes. And of course there are people who've chosen to live "off the grid" in other clusters of forest areas.

But all of that applies to every state in the country and is no longer specific to New England. New England is a land of excess and waste, just as every other staff embraces excess and waste.
Old 01-05-2024, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB444 View Post
Oh no. TV off my list of possible places to move to.

(just kidding

Can you recommend the place?

General question for anyone: I really didn't see any cooking clubs on TV list. Any groups gathering and cooking fun/interesting recipes?
Shiva restaurant in Mt. Dora. It's a tiny place with I think only 5 tables, and 2 of them are tables for 2 people only. My go-to there: chicken curry, spiced "medium-hot" with aromatic rice, naan, and gulab jamun for dessert. I wish they'd give you more of the gulab jamun balls for what they charge, but the syrup they're swimming in is delicious. Pretty sure it's just simple syrup with a little rosewater and cardamom but really awesome.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post

Historically, New England was known for frugality. ...
I'm glad to see that you agree... "historically" I mean.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedends View Post
LOL. We enjoyed Bluefin and the Chophouse. I think we liked Red Sauce a few years ago. Even City Fire was fine for what it is. We will be okay.
Besides, if you want REALLY good pizza, Original Ray's in Greenwich Village, NYC
Chinese, Wo Hop's at corner bend in Mott St., NYC
Roast beef?---Wolf's sandwich shop, 58th and 6th, NYC

Guess what all those places have in common??? And it certainly IS NOT Boston.
Old 01-05-2024, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Shiva restaurant in Mt. Dora. It's a tiny place with I think only 5 tables, and 2 of them are tables for 2 people only. My go-to there: chicken curry, spiced "medium-hot" with aromatic rice, naan, and gulab jamun for dessert. I wish they'd give you more of the gulab jamun balls for what they charge, but the syrup they're swimming in is delicious. Pretty sure it's just simple syrup with a little rosewater and cardamom but really awesome.
Now you're showing some really good taste! Don't forget the bullet naan--excellent. I'm a little apprehensive about the goat curry----tends to have small bones in it. And if you order your food "Indian hot", the chef will come out of the kitchen and ask you if you know what you are doing. Overall, IMHO, better than Amrit Palace in Ocala.
Old 01-05-2024, 11:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Besides, if you want REALLY good pizza, Original Ray's in Greenwich Village, NYC

Santarpios or Regina
Kowloon
Kelly’s roast beef (where the hot roast beef sandwich was invented)
Old 01-05-2024, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:

What is wrong with the real original Rays, or Rays or the Best Rays pizza?
Old 01-05-2024, 03:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Well… as far as I can see you have three possibilities: learn to make the food you like at home, learn to like the food available around The Villages, or just stay where you are. Those were my choices, I’m between choice one and two. (Besides, how do you know you won’t like blackened alligator tail?)
Old 01-05-2024, 04:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Well… as far as I can see you have three possibilities: learn to make the food you like at home, learn to like the food available around The Villages, or just stay where you are. Those were my choices, I’m between choice one and two. (Besides, how do you know you won’t like blackened alligator tail?)
I do like blackened gator tail. I do like the food around the Villages. That's not what my post was asking. I do realize the thread is old and while we did cover all of this, sometimes people don't read the entire post or the replies, so no worries.
Old 01-05-2024, 04:51 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts

Quote:

Oh pleaase a loooong islannd hope to believe they are relly neewww yyorkers.

Pizza..tortonos in coney islamd.
Chinese…any takeout in brooklyn
Roast beef..brennan and carr

Dint listen to this long islander..he knows nothing.

Tags
beef, chinese, pizza, roast, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.