Folks from Mass (Boston/North Shore): good pizza, roast beef sandwiches, Chinese food

Old 08-30-2023, 08:56 AM

Please let us know if you find any favorites. Blue Fin seafood in Brownwood is good. Chinese... bring some with you. Subs, good luck. Bravo pizza in Lake Sumter wasn't bad. If you get really desperate for bar pizza Town Spa in Stoughton will ship pizzas :-)
Old 08-30-2023, 09:22 AM
Gold member

Nothing like Kelly's roast beef around The Villlages, no Kowloon either, Papa Gino's forget it. You'll notice a BIG difference in Dunkin too. No Woodman's for fried clams, no Beach Plum for Lobstah rolls either.
But we survived, lots of fun decent places around here!
Old 08-30-2023, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,051 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4Boston View Post
Please let us know if you find any favorites. Blue Fin seafood in Brownwood is good. Chinese... bring some with you. Subs, good luck. Bravo pizza in Lake Sumter wasn't bad. If you get really desperate for bar pizza Town Spa in Stoughton will ship pizzas :-)
Some places here have good Italian bread, buy some and make your own hero.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:44 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Some places here have good Italian bread, buy some and make your own hero.
You mean grinder?
Old 08-30-2023, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
You mean grinder?
You mean hoagie?
Old 08-30-2023, 10:51 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4Boston View Post
That's it, Bravo Pizza. I couldn't think of the name earlier. I forgot about Town Spa Pizza. Good stuff.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogers4649 View Post
Figure this is a good place to find all sorts of info. I'm closing on my house in Lake Denham in a few weeks. We aren't retired, so will only be there infrequently throughout the year. We aren't planning on renting our house out or anything.

Anyhow, as anyone from Boston/North Shore can attest, we are snobs on pizza, roast beef sandwiches and even Chinese food. Heck when I moved closer to Worcester I couldn't even find good Chinese nor roast beef.

So what I'm looking for is roast beef like Kelly's. Warm beef slices on a sesame or onion roll, American cheese, and bbq sauce.

Pizza, needs to be Italian style, not Greek. God I'd kill for a Santarpios pizza. But heck even Papa Ginos is acceptable.

Chinese, well if you are from the North Shore, you know Kowloon style. That's what I'd be looking for.

Please no haters. If you want to tell me to stay in Massachusetts, just move along. This is for fun and to hear what there is for fast casual stuff around the Villages.
There is no comparison, unfortunately. Most Villagers are from somewhere other than Mass/RI/NYC/NJ/CT. That means their taste buds are totally not - ours. Most of them wouldn't know a decent Lobster Cantonese if it smacked them up'side the head. And pizza? Fuggedaboudit. The nearest Indian Restaurant is over a half hour away. Roast beef - there are choices, but none as good as up north where people have experience in quality.

You can't even buy decent pastrami by the pound at a deli up here and make your own grilled pastrami and swiss on rye. It's all ultra-lean, which means mostly flavorless and chewy.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:06 AM

Santarpio's and Kowloon will have no match in this state anywhere (no matter what the locals say). Kelly's Roast Beef (which is owned by the 110 Grill now) opened their 3rd Florida location in Sarasota and will probably be up close to TV before long. GREAT heads up that Town Pizza will ship! I'm all over that one. Boston born and bred here-North and South Shore-the food here is mediocre, but the life is fantastic otherwise!
Old 08-30-2023, 11:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,522 Times in 3,108 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeefe45@aol.com View Post
Santarpio's and Kowloon will have no match in this state anywhere (no matter what the locals say). Kelly's Roast Beef (which is owned by the 110 Grill now) opened their 3rd Florida location in Sarasota and will probably be up close to TV before long. GREAT heads up that Town Pizza will ship! I'm all over that one. Boston born and bred here-North and South Shore-the food here is mediocre, but the life is fantastic otherwise!
Back Bay, Beacon Hill, and Brighton, during the 7 years I lived in Boston (4 were college, but I liked it so I stayed a few more years). My usual hang-out was Harvard Square.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:21 AM

You can buy online several of the items you mention. Pastrami from NYC, Bagels from NYC, Lobster and seafood from Maine, and I think you can even get When Pigs Fly from Amazon and I am sure you can get Kelly's Roast Beef online.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
You will be disappointed if they prebake them like Cape Cod Cafe does.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
You mean hoagie?
or sub
Old 08-30-2023, 11:44 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
There is no comparison, unfortunately. Most Villagers are from somewhere other than Mass/RI/NYC/NJ/CT. That means their taste buds are totally not - ours. Most of them wouldn't know a decent Lobster Cantonese if it smacked them up'side the head. And pizza? Fuggedaboudit. The nearest Indian Restaurant is over a half hour away. Roast beef - there are choices, but none as good as up north where people have experience in quality.

You can't even buy decent pastrami by the pound at a deli up here and make your own grilled pastrami and swiss on rye. It's all ultra-lean, which means mostly flavorless and chewy.
BJ's has almost passable pastrami sliced to order. Would never try and cook it further.
Old 08-30-2023, 11:49 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
You will be disappointed if they prebake them like Cape Cod Cafe does.
It pains me to hear those from the N/E talk about Pizza, get on an airplane fly to Chicago O'hare, cab it to Lou n Malanites , deep dish or thin , next day , beef, harder choice many good Italian beef places to pick from, make mine "hot ,wet, combo, ( bread dipped in the juice, link of italian sausage and beef, hot giardiniera)
Old 08-30-2023, 11:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I had no idea that Kelley’s was now owned by 110. I am not very close to one as I am in Westminster Massachusetts now. The last time I had Kelly’s was at Logan airport and it was good but not as good as I remember also, when I told them, I wanted it with sauce they put au jus instead of the Kelley’s barbecue sauce. Strange. In any case, we always had lots of options for roast beef. East Boston had, royal roast beef, Salem near the college had big Fred’s roast beef. It was everywhere, but you don’t see it outside of that area.

As far as pastrami, I can actually make a good pastrami myself. I have corned the beef brisket then seasoned it and smoked it into an excellent pastrami. Maybe I found my retirement business. Lol.

Tags
beef, chinese, pizza, roast, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.