Folks from Mass (Boston/North Shore): good pizza, roast beef sandwiches, Chinese food

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2023, 08:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,568 Times in 3,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Somethings are hard to duplicate....food being part of that. THIS is Florida---it's the south and southern isn't the same as the N.E. or the midwest or wherever. Part of the "fun" is to explore and try to find what you're looking for BUT you won't find "home" here. We moved from the upper midwest and there are food-items there we can't find duplicates of here (unless we make it ourselves). I don't understand "food snobs" who come, can't find then complain because it's not like where they once lived.
It's not even decent "south." I haven't yet seen a smoker with a whole pig in it at any restaurant parking lot down here. Or Creole or Cajun - those are as "south" as it gets. I'm not a food snob. But when I want ethnic food, I want the real deal.
Old 08-30-2023, 09:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,154 Times in 5,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrogers4649 View Post
LOL Need Italian Americans who had grandparents that immigrated here. That’s how you get NY or North End pizza. There’s got to be plenty of them in the villages. But darn it they are all retired.

I’m sure I’ll adapt and occasionally visit Massachusetts for the foods I miss. Heck now I’m 1.5 hours from Boston and I hardly get these foods.
You are 100% right about that. They grew up knowing what good Italian food tastes like.

Almost by accident went to a neighborhood Italian restaurant in Ft Lauderdale a few months ago and food was head and shoulders above what we have here. We were looking for dinner and found a crowded restaurant and so glad we went in.
Old 08-30-2023, 09:12 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,097 Times in 376 Posts

Lived on Northshore Boston 26 years. Loved all the places you mentioned in that area. Impossible to duplicate that here. Those places have been there for years and were developed based upon ethnic population and nearness to the ocean and the access to the infrastructure of businesses to support those restaurants.
None of that is available here. Restaurant staffing may be from Ocala. Food infrastructure is not local. Most items brought in from the north.
That said, I agree with most posters. No Northshore Chinese, Roast Beef, Pizza, Fish available. But since you are moving from that area, you need to adapt to being out of the Northshore area. No ocean, no snow, no mountains. But Catfish, Baby Back Ribs, Grits Alligator Bits, Fried Chicken. Change is good.
Old 08-30-2023, 10:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Somethings are hard to duplicate....food being part of that. THIS is Florida---it's the south and southern isn't the same as the N.E. or the midwest or wherever. Part of the "fun" is to explore and try to find what you're looking for BUT you won't find "home" here. We moved from the upper midwest and there are food-items there we can't find duplicates of here (unless we make it ourselves). I don't understand "food snobs" who come, can't find then complain because it's not like where they once lived.
Completely agree. The consistent flavor in the Villages seems to be BLAND. Not sure if they are trying to keep everyone happy or they believe older people do not like spicy or what. Every restaurant I try is one or two notches down from my hometown. Pizza bland. Chinese bland. Real roast beef? The closest I have seen to that is cows grazing in one of the rural pastures. At the restaurants, it is all processed.

Last edited by Randall55; 08-30-2023 at 11:03 PM.
Old 08-31-2023, 05:34 AM
Veteran member

Napolinos is the place to go for pizza. on 301 in Wildwood.
Old 08-31-2023, 05:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It's not even decent "south." I haven't yet seen a smoker with a whole pig in it at any restaurant parking lot down here. Or Creole or Cajun - those are as "south" as it gets. I'm not a food snob. But when I want ethnic food, I want the real deal.
Smoker sometimes 2 on corner of 466 and rolling acres. Haven’t been there in awhile. Too far away, There are 3 up in Gainesville we frequent one smokes brisket, one pork, and the new guy is doing Greek.

My family in KY has a 10’x15’ triple high smoker at the farm, family takes bbq seriously.
Old 08-31-2023, 05:49 AM

Sorry, but you move here for the sun and warm winters, definitely not the food. No Bianci's for pizza, Bill&Bob's for roast beef, The New Deal for subs, or The Clam Box for fried clams. A few places we've have found that almost make the grade: The Essex House for New England style seafood, Big Bobs for Italian, Brooklyn Bagel for bagels and deli, these are all tried and true. Unfortunately, I can't recommend any Chinese yet. But fortunately, I'm a snowbird, so I think I'll go to Gourmet Garden for lunch today. Good Luck
Old 08-31-2023, 05:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I have a decent smoker built in Texas. Not big enough for a whole hog, but a few briskets. Unfortunately I don't plan on bringing it with me. I am just not sure I could source the hardwood I need to use a stick burner. I'm going to have to try a pellet smoker. I'm sure it won't be nearly as good.
Old 08-31-2023, 05:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusb741 View Post
Sorry, but you move here for the sun and warm winters, definitely not the food. No Bianci's for pizza, Bill&Bob's for roast beef, The New Deal for subs, or The Clam Box for fried clams. A few places we've have found that almost make the grade: The Essex House for New England style seafood, Big Bobs for Italian, Brooklyn Bagel for bagels and deli, these are all tried and true. Unfortunately, I can't recommend any Chinese yet. But fortunately, I'm a snowbird, so I think I'll go to Gourmet Garden for lunch today. Good Luck
OMG Bianci's. That was on Revere Beach, no? It's been a while but that's what I'm thinking.
Old 08-31-2023, 05:55 AM

Gio’s Deli and Mercato
Oxford as close as it gets
Old 08-31-2023, 05:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
You are 100% right about that. They grew up knowing what good Italian food tastes like.

Almost by accident went to a neighborhood Italian restaurant in Ft Lauderdale a few months ago and food was head and shoulders above what we have here. We were looking for dinner and found a crowded restaurant and so glad we went in.
Absolutely. There are some excellent restaurants that specialize in "anything other than steak, burgers, and fried fish" in Florida. Just none in The Villages, and most not even within a 1/2 drive outside The Villages. There isn't enough demand, because the demographics are mostly people who don't care about good food - or don't recognize it. Either way, it is what it is.

If I want edible pizza around here I pick Gio's or NY Pizza. Both are over a half hour from home, so not practical to bring home for dinner.
Old 08-31-2023, 06:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by markusb741 View Post
There's a Brooklyn Bagel here on 441, across the street from Home Depot in the same plaza as Bed & Bath (which is now closed for business).
Old 08-31-2023, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Figure this is a good place to find all sorts of info. Be moving there soon.

Anyhow, as anyone from Boston/North Shore can attest, we are snobs on pizza, roast beef sandwiches and even Chinese food. Heck when I moved closer to Worcester I couldn't even find good Chinese nor roast beef.

So what I'm looking for is roast beef like Kelly's. Warm beef slices on a sesame or onion roll, American cheese, and bbq sauce.

Pizza, needs to be Italian style, not Greek. God I'd kill for a Santarpios pizza. But heck even Papa Ginos is acceptable.

Chinese, well if you are from the North Shore, you know Kowloon style. That's what I'd be looking for.

Please no haters. If you want to tell me to stay in Massachusetts, just move along. This is for fun and to hear what there is for fast casual stuff around the Villages.
I would try and help but I can’t understand what you mean because of the accent.
Old 08-31-2023, 06:05 AM

I found this place by chance. Like walking into the north end of Boston.
Fantastic. Moschellas Italian Eatery and Market
Wesley Chapel Fl.
Worth the drive.
Old 08-31-2023, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Figure this is a good place to find all sorts of info. Be moving there soon.

Anyhow, as anyone from Boston/North Shore can attest, we are snobs on pizza, roast beef sandwiches and even Chinese food. Heck when I moved closer to Worcester I couldn't even find good Chinese nor roast beef.

So what I'm looking for is roast beef like Kelly's. Warm beef slices on a sesame or onion roll, American cheese, and bbq sauce.

Pizza, needs to be Italian style, not Greek. God I'd kill for a Santarpios pizza. But heck even Papa Ginos is acceptable.

Chinese, well if you are from the North Shore, you know Kowloon style. That's what I'd be looking for.

Please no haters. If you want to tell me to stay in Massachusetts, just move along. This is for fun and to hear what there is for fast casual stuff around the Villages.
No 1 Chinese in Traverse Plaza is very good, tried Roberto’s for pizza but wouldn’t go back. Any ethnic food is not going to compare to up north. Forget about bread- crusts don’t exist. We’re from Long Island and my husband went to school in Cambridge and lived in Boston for a few years. You won’t find pizza anywhere that is close to what you’d like. If you like Japanese, the restaurant next to the movie theater in Lake Sumter is good- tried both sushi and hibachi- can recommend both and happy hour has 2 for 1 domestic beer, wine but Japanese beer is not part of happy hour.
Closed Thread

Tags
beef, chinese, pizza, roast, good

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.