Frankfurters and other named tube steaks..

Old 03-12-2024, 01:15 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 384 Posts
Default Frankfurters and other named tube steaks..

Akin to my ketchup thread, it is time to seriously discuss frankfurters…aka hot dogs, weiners etc.

There is absolutely no frank other than Nathans in Coney Island, Brooklyn that is worth eating. All others are ground pulp compared to Nathans.
After all, the famous hot dog eating contest is at Nathans!
Nothing better than standing out on surf avenue in coney island enjoying the only true American Hot Dog.

Now before you people from chicago chime in. Chicago style hot dogs are an disaster to the culinary world..who can taste the meat with a kitchen sink piled on it.

And lets not discuss something MidWesterners call “Coney Sauce”….there is no Coney Sauce in Coney Island

And lets not go anywhere saying that chili should be on a hot dog..at most, some mustard nd sauerkrut. You want to eat chili..eat it..leave it off a hot dog.

And New Jersey….ive seen them put cream cheese or mashed potatoes on hot dogs…another abomination to the human spirit.

Nathans is the only true hot dog….it must also be HALAL,
Old 03-12-2024, 01:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Akin to my ketchup thread, it is time to seriously discuss frankfurters…aka hot dogs, weiners etc.

There is absolutely no frank other than Nathans in Coney Island, Brooklyn that is worth eating. All others are ground pulp compared to Nathans.
After all, the famous hot dog eating contest is at Nathans!
Nothing better than standing out on surf avenue in coney island enjoying the only true American Hot Dog.

Now before you people from chicago chime in. Chicago style hot dogs are an disaster to the culinary world..who can taste the meat with a kitchen sink piled on it.

And lets not discuss something MidWesterners call “Coney Sauce”….there is no Coney Sauce in Coney Island

And lets not go anywhere saying that chili should be on a hot dog..at most, some mustard nd sauerkrut. You want to eat chili..eat it..leave it off a hot dog.

And New Jersey….ive seen them put cream cheese or mashed potatoes on hot dogs…another abomination to the human spirit.

Nathans is the only true hot dog….it must also be HALAL,
Trolling....Part 2
Old 03-12-2024, 01:23 PM
Gold member

I like Trader Joe's Pups. With mustard, & naturally fermented sauerkraut.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	pastrypups.JPG
Views:	2065
Size:	390.4 KB
ID:	103282  
Old 03-12-2024, 01:23 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Trolling....Part 2
Serious discussion…if you would like to discuss,please comment about hot dogs in boston..that would be intersting.
Do they put baked beans on hot dogs there?
Old 03-12-2024, 01:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Serious discussion…if you would like to discuss,please comment about hot dogs in boston..that would be intersting.
Do they put baked beans on hot dogs there?
Seriously, I’m not saying people don’t but the places I go to in Boston.... like Sullivan’s on Castle Island (South Boston)....it’s standard offerings ( minced onion, relish, mustard and dare I say....KETCHUP!)
Old 03-12-2024, 01:35 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Seriously, I’m not saying people don’t but the places I go to in Boston.... like Sullivan’s on Castle Island (South Boston)....it’s standard offerings ( minced onion, relish, mustard and dare I say....KETCHUP!)
New Englanders, Maine specifically, know of an iconic spot in York, Maine. A roadside converted mobile home that pushes out untold numbers of hotdogs yearly. Proprietary dog made locally with a little snap, steamed bun and again a proprietary relish, which topped with mayo and celery salt is....what you eat before you go to the electric chair! Amazing
Old 03-12-2024, 01:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
New Englanders, Maine specifically, know of an iconic spot in York, Maine. A roadside converted mobile home that pushes out untold numbers of hotdogs yearly. Proprietary dog made locally with a little snap, steamed bun and again a proprietary relish, which topped with mayo and celery salt is....what you eat before you go to the electric chair! Amazing
Oops! Flo’s Hot Dogs...Cape Neddick ME
Old 03-12-2024, 02:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:
My friend snowbirds in Ogunquit..i belive pretty close to york. I willhave to ask him about that.
Old 03-12-2024, 02:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,974 Times in 755 Posts

I grew up with Blackies Hot Dog with their home made relish since 1928 Cheshire Ct and Capitol Lunch with their meat sauce since 1929 New Britain Ct both use Martin Rosol all beef hot dogs with natural casings established 1928.
Nathan’s established 1916 is now a Chinese owned company.
Old 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Hot dogs must be all beef from parts of the cow that we would normally eat which is why Kosher are best.

Further we should only allow mustard and sauerkraut to be put on the dog on top of the bun.
Old 03-12-2024, 03:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Hot dogs must be all beef from parts of the cow that we would normally eat which is why Kosher are best.

Further we should only allow mustard and sauerkraut to be put on the dog on top of the bun.
Exactly….nathans is great. But still nothing better than a hot dog vendor on a NYC street corner selling Sabretts
Old 03-12-2024, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Exactly….nathans is great. But still nothing better than a hot dog vendor on a NYC street corner selling Sabretts
Sorry you are totally wrong. Nathans are ok but Kosher much better, and sabretts comes from parts of an animal you would get disgusted with if you knew.
Old 03-12-2024, 03:29 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Sorry you are totally wrong. Nathans are ok but Kosher much better, and sabretts comes from parts of an animal you would get disgusted with if you knew.
You're right, for at home, Hebrew Nationals are pretty good.
Old 03-12-2024, 03:46 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

I like Oscar Meyer all beef hot dogs with yellow mustard and sweet relish.
Old 03-12-2024, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Real Kosher Hot Dogs, with natural casings. Typically sold at a Kosher butcher shop or deli, link style, where you can buy a strand of dogs...

You'll get that "CRUNCH" when you bite them...

Add brown mustard, maybe sauerkraut and your golden...

-Tom Petty

Tags
hot, coney, dog, nathans, island

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.