Fried Chicken

Closed Thread
Old 12-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Default Fried Chicken

I heard a while back that Maryland Fried Chicken on Rt. 27 in Leesburg was good, yesterday I finally got a chance to try it.

I was really, really good, best fried chicken I've had in years. The chicken is fried to order ... no microwave ovens, no warming racks with lamps to keep pre-cooked chicken warm. Nice people working there, good prices.

Oddly, it's next door to a KFC. Note: the only tableware provided are flimsy plastic forks...plan on eating the chicken by hand. Also, watch out when you get your chicken...it's wicked hot so you want to let it sit at bit before you take your first bite.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:03 AM

My wife was raised on a poultry farm in Indiana and considers herself a connisieur (or something like that) of fried chicken, especially wings and drumsticks. She thinks the fried chicken at Speckled Butterbean is pretty darn good.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:23 AM
Eternal Member

Golden Corral has some pretty good chicken also.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:03 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
Golden Corral has some pretty good chicken also.
I agree Z; Golden Corral chicken is great,especially if you catch it just being put out.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
My wife was raised on a poultry farm in Indiana and considers herself a connisieur (or something like that) of fried chicken, especially wings and drumsticks. She thinks the fried chicken at Speckled Butterbean is pretty darn good.
(and their ribs aren't bad either!)
Old 12-09-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entemedor View Post
I heard a while back that Maryland Fried Chicken on Rt. 27 in Leesburg was good, yesterday I finally got a chance to try it.

I was really, really good, best fried chicken I've had in years. The chicken is fried to order ... no microwave ovens, no warming racks with lamps to keep pre-cooked chicken warm. Nice people working there, good prices.

Oddly, it's next door to a KFC. Note: the only tableware provided are flimsy plastic forks...plan on eating the chicken by hand. Also, watch out when you get your chicken...it's wicked hot so you want to let it sit at bit before you take your first bite.
Popeye's Chicken is right across the street. Their spicey fried chicken and red beans and rice are pretty darn good.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:55 AM
Platinum member
Default My Favorite Meal

Publix - Reminds me of Parkmoors chicken in Dayton, OH back in the 50's - 60's.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:52 AM
Dancing Thyme

Just reading these posts, my cholesterol went up 25 pts....

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 12-11-2010, 08:06 AM

Parkmoor in Dayton --- wow ! a blast from the past. There were no F16s at WP during the time you mentioned though..... they came later..... It's fun to point out the old original Parkmoor buildings. Good Korean food at the one on airway just off of Kauffman...

Thanks for the pleasant flashback, just left there in May and this time of the year most of the flashbacks involve snow and they are not so pleasant.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:08 PM
Default cluck

I know this is an old thread, but I remembered it tonight on my way home from Leesburg. Stopped by Maryland Chicken - seven years here and never been there. Have to say I was somewhat disappointed...chicken was good enough but the pieces were *very* small, like they followed the yellow brick road to Munchkinland to buy the chickens. It may have been just a fluke, but it wasn't good enough to go back and try again.

Actually, the fried chicken from Walmart's deli is surprisingly good...better (to me) than Publix' deli chicken, which is very often overcooked. But the best "fast food" type chicken around is Lee's in Ocala. I hate going to Ocala, but when I do I never come home without Lee's chicken. Everything at Lee's is good, and about as southern as you can get.
Old 12-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Sage

where in ocala is lee's?

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 12-30-2010, 08:56 PM
Default Lee's Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
where in ocala is lee's?

They have 2 - one is on 200 (College Rd) near CFCC and Paddock Mall, and the one I usually go to is on Silver Springs Blvd (SR 40) about a half mile or so east of downtown, on the left.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:06 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Fried chicken ????

OK , I'll try Maryland Fried Chicken as I am a chicken addict ......The chicken window at Golden Corral knows me on a first name basis......also gotta try this Lee's in Ocala your talking about ......I did try Butterbeans , Been there , done that ...But always looking for a good chicken place....

It all goes back to when I was a kid , We always had to wait until the Sunday company was fed then it was our turn .....There wasn't much left , All I usually got was KNUCKLES AND LIPS.......

Fumar .....
Old 12-30-2010, 09:34 PM
Sage
Default Did you mean Southern California??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGirl View Post
Everything at Lee's is good, and about as southern as you can get.
What's a nice California Girl like you know about "as southern as you can get"?
Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
What's a nice California Girl like you know about "as southern as you can get"?
Born and raised in Stone Mountain, GA. Had fried chicken, mashed potatoes & biscuits for Sunday dinner every week courtesy of my grandmother, the best cook ever...wish I had paid more attention! Didn't move to CA until after college.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.