The Future of Restaurants

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2020, 07:05 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

What are there added expenses besides mask and gloves.
If they charge an added fee they lost us. Employees always had rules to wash hands and had hand sanitizer its a requirement of there licensing. Gloves were always required in food preparation ever visit publix winndixie subway
Old 05-17-2020, 07:09 AM

I think you might be right, but you need to be concerned, unless you like waiting in lines, not able to get reservations or like eating dinner at 4:00 or 9:00. Because it’s supply and demand, the few restaurants will be overwhelmed.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
When I hear people say things will never be the same I have to wonder. Remember SARS? It was really scary for a little while then we DID go back to normal. As they say, time heals all things.
Actually, I don't remember SARS. Maybe things will go back to normal, but I can't imagine anyone forgetting the Coronavirus.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

no problem from me, as for a small surcharge to cover increased costs for PPE etc. We all have a choice, mine would be AOK as long as it's reasonable.

Keep in mind all the firms (airlines, electric and such) that had a surcharge for fuel increases. ..."had" - as some simply blended it into their price. No choice for the consumer.

As for restaurants that may charge this - if you don't agree, don't give them your business.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:22 AM

I expect lots more innovation in restaurants and the ones who come up with the best ideas will survive.
I love to think up new concepts in dining.
It is supposed to be an attractive alternative to staying home.
Old 05-17-2020, 07:36 AM

If half of all small businesses will go under from this .... why isn't the stock market much lower? And have the Morses given all their renters three months free to keep them in business?
Old 05-17-2020, 07:59 AM
Michael Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
It's going to take some time for any restaurant to show a profit while operating with virus constraints on seating and additional virus related increase costs to comply with new health rules. And, there is increased insurance costs.

Profits were not huge before this virus thing.

The Truth Behind Profits in the Restaurant Business | Nav

The Complete Guide to Restaurant Profit Margins | Lightspeed HQ
Thank you for posting those links to stories. I owned a 84 seat family owned Greek/Italian restaurant for many years. It is indeed a very difficult business to operate for certain. Profit margins were steadily decreasing and staffing issues were becoming more challenging. However It was a very rewarding career serving my customers and being a part of their lives.

Going into the restaurant business was risky before covid-19 with no guarantees of success or profits. All business ventures are a risk. I wish the local independent restaurant owners all the best going forward.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:13 AM
Michael Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
If they charge an added fee they lost us. Employees always had rules to wash hands and had hand sanitizer its a requirement of there licensing. Gloves were always required in food preparation ever visit publix winndixie subway
The added costs are the cost of goods sold.

ALL items needed for a food service establishment are being affected.

ALL suppliers have issues with production costs increasing for ensuring food safety.

ALL businesses will be paying more for more frequent cleaning and sanitizing procedures. These procedures are over and above what cleaning procedures were used previously. The jobs they're doing to protect us don't come free to us.

In would rather see new menus with higher prices on them as opposed to a "covid-19" surcharge added to the bill.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:23 AM
Default Sad

I feel very bad for all the independent restaurant owners that do you not make it. They put their life blood into their business and it was their means of income. Sad days ahead for a lot of these people.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Restaurants may begin operating at 50% capacity beginning tomorrow. For a short time that I was performing at Hacienda Hills Country Club, I suggest something that they implemented until a new manager came along.
We would do two shows and have two seating. One seating was from 4:00 'til 6:00 and the second was from 7:00 'til 9:00. The hour break gave the staff time to clean up and reset for the second show.
Now that restaurants are able to open at 50%, if they were to implement this, they would be operating at 100% occupancy.
Of course, it has to be by reservation only except if there were spaces available.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 05-17-2020, 08:56 AM

say goodby to restaurants they are on borrowed time
Old 05-17-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Apparently, some restaurant experts think that about 25 percent of the restaurants in the country will close permanently. I think that may also be true in The Villages. In my opinion, the ones that will survive will be upscale restaurants and franchise chain restaurants, especially fast food places. The low priced, independent ones are less likely to remain. Personally, I will not miss any restaurant that goes away. The restaurant offerings will only get better when the Coronavirus crisis is over. I am interested in what others think.
My local Chinese takeout reopened over the weekend, I went Friday night and they were busy. Take out was running about twice the normal "10 minute" and I was one of six waiting and two others pulled in as I was leaving.

If the place is (was) good the people will return when they can. One woman in line was getting 7 dinners and said this was her first take out since the virus started.
Old 05-17-2020, 09:20 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Apparently, some restaurant experts think that about 25 percent of the restaurants in the country will close permanently. I think that may also be true in The Villages. In my opinion, the ones that will survive will be upscale restaurants and franchise chain restaurants, especially fast food places. The low priced, independent ones are less likely to remain. Personally, I will not miss any restaurant that goes away. The restaurant offerings will only get better when the Coronavirus crisis is over. I am interested in what others think.
The good ones will survive! Wait time will be longer most likely. New restaurants will open up here in TV.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
You forgot all the other added expenses back through the food supply chain all the way to before slaughter/garden....then processing....then trucking/shipping.....they will all be passing along price increases of some magnitude which all ultimately hit the end user....the customer.

And the extra help needed to do the after each customer sanitizing and constant counter and doors and everything else wiping.

There are without a doubt increased operating costs in the business of " FOOD" to insulate us all from the virus.

Just presenting the reality of the increased cost of operations for those who work to feed us.
Old 05-17-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I wouldn’t miss any of the restaurants that are in ,The Villages, let’s close em all and give different places an opportunity.Lets face it if bars didn’t have to serve food, the Villages would be full of neighborhood taverns, with pretzels on the bar.
Closed Thread

Tags
restaurants, restaurant, remain, personally, miss

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.