Good Chinese Food

Closed Thread
Old 12-01-2020, 06:54 PM
Gold member

Good luck finding good Chinese or Italian anywhere near TV.
I spent most of my working life in Downtown NYC. We were in Chinatown or Little Italy very frequently. Unfortunately those days are gone. I realize that the good food from my working days are long gone.
The good news is that we still have a N.Y. home do we can get our fix when we’re up north. Interestingly, the best Italian food is no longer found in Little Italy but it is alive and well on Arthur Ave in the Bronx.
Old 12-02-2020, 12:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Has anyone tried the new Sunrise Asian Restaurant in Trailwinds Village plaza on 466A?
Old 12-02-2020, 03:19 AM
Default Chinese?

Yummy House....Ocala
Old 12-02-2020, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Sunrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
Has anyone tried the new Sunrise Asian Restaurant in Trailwinds Village plaza on 466A?
We have ordered food twice and it was good. If you like very spicy tell them when ordering.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:41 AM

We found Koyame food nice presentation but tasteless.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We like Kayame but now it is take out.
Definitely our favorite! Food is fresh!
Old 12-02-2020, 07:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
We were there about a month ago.

Not a good experience.

Took 30 minutes for them to take our order and just under an hour to get it. Not nearly enough employees either taking orders or cooking.

Did not ask for spicy but everything was rather hot.

My wife loves pad Thai (which has always been mild) and has had it all over the US. For the first time it was so spicy she could not eat it.

Tried to look up a website to tell them but website had no way to contact them so let it go.

In any case thought Thai at Kayame is better so will keep going there.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Koyame Sunrise

Quote:
We were there about a month ago.

Not a good experience.

Took 30 minutes for them to take our order and just under an hour to get it. Not nearly enough employees either taking orders or cooking.

Did not ask for spicy but everything was rather hot.

My wife loves pad Thai (which has always been mild) and has had it all over the US. For the first time it was so spicy she could not eat it.

Tried to look up a website to tell them but website had no way to contact them so let it go.

In any case thought Thai at Kayame is better so will keep going there.
I find Koyame tasteless. Sunrise I ordered on line and was ready when it was suppose to be. Their hot and sour soup is excellent.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskies View Post
From one Nee Yorker to another try Ipanema Buffet in Leesburg across from Nisson dealer. It’s a buffet and the food is always fresh and hot.
You are thinking of Ichiban, across from the Nissan dealer in Leesburg. Ipanema is the Brazilian Rodizio in Ocala, which BTW. Is EXCELLENT!
Old 12-02-2020, 09:25 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
Yummy House....Ocala
This is a good choice is you are willing to drive. This is especially true for weekend brunch when they serve Dim Sum! Yummy Yummy
Old 12-02-2020, 09:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

there is no good "Chinese food" down here...we've looked for it for over 20 years in Florida
ya gotta go back north for that
Old 02-23-2021, 07:22 PM
Default Good Chinese Food

Quote:
We like Kayame but now it is take out.
No.1 Chinese Food 2949 Traverse Trail has a new owner. Tried it today. If you like Koyame(?) you'll like this.
Old 02-23-2021, 11:30 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankygrl View Post
I’m from NY, lived in TV for the past 10 years and have yet to find a good Chinese food “eat in” restaurant local. Love Sakura at Colony Plaza and Bamboo Bistro near Target but they are Asian fusion. What about you, has anyone found one? Most Chinese restaurants are take out and not all that good.
Frankly, NO ! Not sure why, but just find various "Asian fusion", mixes. Some passing, but no, no really REALLY good authentic Chinese carryout like "back home".
Old 02-23-2021, 11:33 PM

Well, one of my favorite things in life is eating and before COVID-19, my husband I would got out to eat at least three times per week, maybe more. I had hopes for the food around the Villages but after reading the replies, I realize that we may be disappointed when we get there. We ate at the Japanese Steakhouse at Lake Sumpter during out 2019 visit and although everyone else has said that they like it, we were not impressed. Maybe it was a bad day for them or a bad day for us!
The one (and only) good thing about where we current live outside of Atlanta is the array of food choices and the quality. A place that does not meet expectation will not be around for long and will be replaced with something better. The Villages will not be perfect and I know that some things must be sacrificed as life is a give and take. Maybe once we get there I will lose weight!!! :-)
Old 02-23-2021, 11:45 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graspher View Post
I spent 40 weekends a year - for 2 years - in Chinatown NY accompanied by a Taiwan born and raised (for 35 years before coming to America) companion. We ordered all our meals from the script lining the walls near the ceiling - never from a menu and not from anything written in English. That's my background related to "chinese" dining.

Like many posters have stated before me - there is no good Asian dining in the bubble. My apologies to the Koyame lovers - IMHO Koyame is just ok. When I'm desperate I will go there - all the other bubble bowls are lousy. I've been to most of them and won't return.

I haven't been to Yummy House (yet) or the Orlando circuit.

Best thing to do is try all these places for yourself - that's the only way to find what will work for you.

We feel much the same as you. We quit really looking and hoping some years ago now, however, do agree that Yummy House tucked away in a plaza like location in Ocala is "decent". A dine in with an extensive menu, and they seem to do a really big take out at the front reception counter from what we've seen when eating there. It's worth a try, for us, about as good as can be found around here.
Closed Thread

Tags
good, chinese, food, bamboo, bistro

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.