Good Chinese Restaurant?

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2014, 04:08 PM

Not a fan of Koyame. It's all ok except the rice. I too am not a fan of mushy fried rice. Will give China Max and Shang Hai a try.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The quality and style in particular of Chinese food is very dependent on where you come from. I'm from Boston and have eaten Chinese food in many of the major cities in the US. It is all very different. If you're from New York, you probably won't like the Chinese food in San Francisco which many people say is the best. People from Boston don't like the same Chinese food that New Yorkers like.

And then when you get outside of this country is another whole world. What we call Chinese food is nothing like what they eat in China. I went to several Chinese restaurants in The Philippines and it is completely different over there. If you order Chow Mein it's basically soft noodles with this horrible brown sauce.

You have to try around and see what you like. Koyame is very good and as far as buffets go, Evergreen is excellent.

It's the same with Thai food as well. If you eat Thai food in Thailand, it's nothing like what is served over here. In the US Thai food is loaded with sugar. There is very little sweet taste in Thailand.

Good post. I had a friend that dated a Chinese girl and wanted to take her to a Chinese restaurant in S.Florida. She said "No" I'll take you to a "real" Chinese restaurant and he said the meal was totally different than expected.
It comes down to what you are used to. Many from the North East think that if it isn't the same as NY then it is not good. The world is a lot bigger than "up north".
Old 08-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

We just eat Chinese up north. It's just easier
Old 08-03-2014, 06:51 PM

Has anyone tried the Royal Orchid in Ocala? high ratings from UrbanSpoon, Yelp, Google+[/QUOTE]

We lived in Thailand for several months and Royal Orchid is the best Thai food we have found in this area. We go there every 4-6 weeks.

Koyame is our pick for Chinese but as someone else said it is not the same as you will find in a "Chinatown."

If you happen to be in the Fort Lauderdale area, try Thai Spice for excellent Thai food although it is pricey by Villages standards. We were just there last week for a celebration.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:54 PM

China buffet resturant on wedgewood lane their food is by far the best other than VKI's in lake sumter but china buffet has the best and most authentic chinese food in all the villages i go their to eat everytime after dance class
Old 08-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Good post. I had a friend that dated a Chinese girl and wanted to take her to a Chinese restaurant in S.Florida. She said "No" I'll take you to a "real" Chinese restaurant and he said the meal was totally different than expected.
It comes down to what you are used to. Many from the North East think that if it isn't the same as NY then it is not good. The world is a lot bigger than "up north".
I had Chinese friend in the Boston area. We went to a Chinese Buffet once and he said, "I'm going to take you for some real Chinese food."

He took me to a Chinese breakfast in Boston's Chinatown on a Sunday morning. It wasn't exactly a restaurant. It was in a private room upstairs from a restaurant. There must have been 50 Chinese people in there eating. It was nothing like what we consider to be Chinese food.

He told me that he and his friends go there when they want real Chinese food.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelg View Post
China buffet resturant on wedgewood lane their food is by far the best other than VKI's in lake sumter but china buffet has the best and most authentic chinese food in all the villages i go their to eat everytime after dance class
We ate there once and wouldn't go back.
If you want to go outside The Villages, the Koy Wan Buffet in Altamonte Springs has great food. I go there primarily for the sushi, but have sampled so of the other stuff as well. They claim to the the biggest Chinese buffet in Florida.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-03-2014, 09:46 PM

KOYAME gets my vote too. Great, clean restaurant with some of the best fried rice I've had.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:52 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Not in The Villages, but Mr. King's in Crystal River is very good. We have been eating their for 12 years.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:17 AM

That is because there arn't any
Old 08-05-2014, 04:09 AM

Where is Evergreen? Never heard of it? Same with Colony. Are they the walk up types or true sit down service restaurants?
Old 08-05-2014, 06:07 AM
Sage

Fugeddaboutit. There ain't none.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 08-05-2014, 08:15 AM

IMHO, good Chinese food depends on the quality of the ingredients and the taste of the sauce. It seems like most of the Chinese restaurants we have been to around here use pre-made frozen chicken nuggets and bottled sauces. Can anyone recommend a Chinese restaurant in the area where the food and sauces are made to order?
Old 08-05-2014, 09:51 AM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Absolutely dreadful Chinese food here. We always wait until we go back North to get our Chinese fix!
Totally agree!! Just tried Evergreen and it was ok at best. Koyame depends on how old the oil is again just ok. For a treat of fresh tasting Asian food Bamboo Bistro is by far the best! Good old Chinese does not exist down here so I fill up when back in Chicago.

Last edited by rdhdleo; 11-13-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelg View Post

I THOUGHT IT WAS ONE OF THE WORST, couldn't even imagine it to be that bad. Same comment from my visiting friend from London. Not what you would find on the West Coast for sure.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.