Governor DeSantis signs food delivery app restrictions into law

Old 04-06-2024, 01:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,408 Times in 2,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Yes another useless law. Will be enforced like the law outlawing males from using a female bathroom and vice versa even on a golf course.
Are the bathrooms on the golf courses multi-user like those at the squares where there might be two people in one at the same time? Or are just worried about catching cooties?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
So why weigh in.....you have neither experience or skin in the game. Why?
Ha! This comment could be added to 90% of the posts on this forum!
Old 04-06-2024, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,677 Times in 1,510 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Fr View Post
Some of the comments definitely show political bias, lol.
NO! Gasp! You can't be serious. 🙈🙉🙊
Old 04-07-2024, 08:14 AM
Default Food Act

With all the issues in Florida today, this is what they work on........simple minded people...........glad his next job will be at Disney as Goofy

How will this affect Florida residents making an order through a food delivery app?
For starters, Floridians will no longer see different prices listed on delivery apps from the restaurant's menu. They will not be allowed to inflate, decrease, or alter a food service establishment’s pricing unless it is already agreed upon.

Additionally, customers will have more communication with establishments during the preparation of orders, during delivery and for up to two hours after a courier picks up the order. The law also states delivery firms must provide consumers with a way to express order concerns directly with the restaurants."

Your browser is not supported | tallahassee.com[/QUOTE]
Old 04-07-2024, 09:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
With all the issues in Florida today, this is what they work on........simple minded people...........glad his next job will be at Disney as Goofy

How will this affect Florida residents making an order through a food delivery app?
For starters, Floridians will no longer see different prices listed on delivery apps from the restaurant's menu. They will not be allowed to inflate, decrease, or alter a food service establishment’s pricing unless it is already agreed upon.
That statement is an oxymoron. Floridians *WILL* see different prices if it has been agreed upon with the restaurant. The delivery platform can no longer unilaterally increase food prices in order to hide fees BUT they can charge those fees to the restaurant which might agree to increase food prices to cover them.

Quote:
Additionally, customers will have more communication with establishments during the preparation of orders, during delivery and for up to two hours after a courier picks up the order. The law also states delivery firms must provide consumers with a way to express order concerns directly with the restaurants."
That is not what the bill says.
Today, customers can have as much communication with the restaurant as they want; there is nothing preventing me from picking up the phone and calling. What the bill does is provide the customer's contact information to the restaurant so that the restaurant can initiate a contact. It isn't that I need to order anonymously but I just don't see the value to me to have the restaurant calling me while I am eating.

Second, the law does not state that delivery firms must provide a way to express order concerns directly with the restaurants. I can already do that, I pick up a phone and express my concerns. What the law states in 4(d) is that the delivery platform must provide a mechanism for the consumer to express order concerns directly to the platform. I don't quite understand what this means, I thought I could already comment on the Uber Eats or DoorDash service, but it is between the consumer and the service not the consumer and the restaurant.

Text of the bill itself

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-07-2024, 09:20 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=Bill14564;2319479]That statement is an oxymoron. Floridians *WILL* see different prices if it has been agreed upon with the restaurant. The delivery platform can no longer unilaterally increase food prices in order to hide fees BUT they can charge those fees to the restaurant which might agree to increase food prices to cover them.

That is not what the bill says.
Today, customers can have as much communication with the restaurant as they want; there is nothing preventing me from picking up the phone and calling. What the bill does is provide the customer's contact information to the restaurant so that the restaurant can initiate a contact. It isn't that I need to order anonymously but I just don't see the value to me to have the restaurant calling me while I am eating.

Second, the law does not state that delivery firms must provide a way to express order concerns directly with the restaurants. I can already do that, I pick up a phone and express my concerns. What the law states in 4(d) is that the delivery platform must provide a mechanism for the consumer to express order concerns directly to the platform. I don't quite understand what this means, I thought I could already comment on the Uber Eats or DoorDash service, but it is between the consumer and the service not the consumer and the restaurant.

Translation....many quality establishments that have always done it right will eventually go back to take out/pick up only....by the customer. Too much bureaucratic BS.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by defrey12 View Post
For lazy people that can’t get off their couch. No wonder the world has gotten so fat. Maybe try cooking something wholesome? Just a thought…
Just eat it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2mU6USTBRE
Old 04-07-2024, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,953 Times in 2,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I still don't understand why the law is needed.

"The restaurant had no control"
"The customer simply had no recourse"

Huh? Who is preventing the restaurant from establishing rules for the delivery service, and who is forcing the customer to do business with a specific restaurant?
Maybe it not big problem around here. Funny how law works isn’t it.
Old 04-07-2024, 09:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Translation....many quality establishments that have always done it right will eventually go back to take out/pick up only....by the customer. Too much bureaucratic BS.
I don't believe I have ever used a delivery service. I don't like the business model of charging the restaurant, charging me, and then expecting me to pay (tip) the driver. This just seems like a lot of money for coming up with the idea of having an app.

I know profit margins are tight in the restaurant business so I would rather spend money on the restaurant rather than the app developer. I know of one restaurant here than can take online orders through a delivery service. I suspect they get charged a fee for every order that comes in that way, even if I drive to the restaurant and pick it up myself. I now phone in my order to avoid costing the restaurant that fee.

Eat-in or carryout/pickup for me.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-07-2024, 11:38 AM

If you’re a consumer who doesn’t use the delivery service you don’t give a hoot about the Bill. If you do use the service like thousands of Floridians do, the Bill is meaningful. So lose the “Shrugs”. It matters to many users.
Old 04-07-2024, 01:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Are the bathrooms on the golf courses multi-user like those at the squares where there might be two people in one at the same time? Or are just worried about catching cooties?
Each bathroom is a "one-holer"... Meaning single user...

So, I'm going with the "Cooties" reason...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-07-2024, 01:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Each bathroom is a "one-holer"... Meaning single user...

So, I'm going with the "Cooties" reason...
We used to have the ‘p*ss trough’ communal concept at Fenway Park. Nobody got hurt as far as I know. Sorry, I digress....
Old 04-07-2024, 02:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,279 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
We used to have the ‘p*ss trough’ communal concept at Fenway Park. Nobody got hurt as far as I know. Sorry, I digress....
I remember them at the old RFK Stadium in DC, when I was a kid...

It was hell if you had a "shy bladder"...

I'm sure there was some "emotional damage" done...

-Tom Petty

Tags
delivery, food, app, law, order

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.