Governor DeSantis signs food delivery app restrictions into law

Old 04-06-2024, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,411 Times in 2,072 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Lost here amid all the thinly-veiled jerking of knees is the fact that this law accomplishes one very important thing.

Quality control.

Before this law the restaurant had no control, once their food was picked up by an independent driver, whether or not the cost of that food was going to have an arbitrary "delivery price" that was different (more) than what the restaurant charged, or the state of that food once delivered. I know of no other delivery system that does NOT contain mechanisms to assure those two things. Get a busted package from Amazon? You don't call the driver (or the post office if they were the deliverer) you contact AMAZON. You're also not going to have to pay more for your food than the restaurant charges, simply because the deliverer has it for a different price. Before this, the customer simply had no recourse regarding quality of food once delivered, poor delivery practices or having to pay more than the restaurant would charge.

This, from ABC Action News, Tampa Bay:

"I'm hoping being able to directly contact the customer is going to boost our sales a lot...If it was me and I was ordering from a restaurant and my order didn't come as I wanted it or didn't come on time, I would want to hear from the manager or owner that they're trying to make it right, and that would entice me to give them another chance," Camper said."

This law in effect makes the deliverer more answerable to the restaurant. I cannot see anything negative in that.
Simply more protection for the restaurant.
1. The delivery platform must show the purchase price and itemize other charges. This protects the restaurant against delivery platforms unilaterally increasing the purchase price to hide fees and blaming it on the restaurant.

2. The purchase price *may* be higher than the in-restaurant price if the restaurant agrees with this. This does not protect the restaurant but does not protect the customer either.

3. The platform must provide a mechanism for the customer to direct concerns back to the platform. I'm surprised that doesn't exist already. If my package gets lost in UPS I can call UPS to find it. If my food is delivered late by Uber-Eats I assumed there would be an Uber-Eats number to complain to.

4. The platform must provide the restaurant with a means of contacting the customer from the time the order is place to up to two hours after it is delivered. This is the part that the news comment was about. I don't know how I am protected or my life improved as a customer by providing my information to the restaurant. I don't order out a lot, but it happens. I have *never* been contacted by the restaurant to tell me my order would not be ready when I arrived. I have *never* been contacted by the restaurant to tell me that my order was not going to be prepared the way I requested.

On the other hand, I will take the restaurant owner at his word when he says, "I'm hoping being able to directly contact the customer is going to boost our sales a lot.." I can imagine that my contact information being given to the restaurant will result in unsolicited calls or texts from the restaurant attempting to boost their sales.

I simply do not see this protecting the customer at all. I see this protecting the restaurant and I see it causing a few headaches for the platform but I don't see anything in it for me. Prices will not change, there will just be more lines on the bill. Delivery will not be faster and the food will not be warmer, there will just be a complaint line I can call. The restaurant is not going to call to tell me my food will be late, they will simply allow me to blame it on the delivery service. But the restaurant will have my contact information for use in their effort to "boost our sales a lot."

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-06-2024, 07:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,755 Times in 5,259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Lost here amid all the thinly-veiled jerking of knees is the fact that this law accomplishes one very important thing.

Quality control.

Before this law the restaurant had no control, once their food was picked up by an independent driver, whether or not the cost of that food was going to have an arbitrary "delivery price" that was different (more) than what the restaurant charged, or the state of that food once delivered. I know of no other delivery system that does NOT contain mechanisms to assure those two things. Get a busted package from Amazon? You don't call the driver (or the post office if they were the deliverer) you contact AMAZON. You're also not going to have to pay more for your food than the restaurant charges, simply because the deliverer has it for a different price. Before this, the customer simply had no recourse regarding quality of food once delivered, poor delivery practices or having to pay more than the restaurant would charge.

This, from ABC Action News, Tampa Bay:

"I'm hoping being able to directly contact the customer is going to boost our sales a lot...If it was me and I was ordering from a restaurant and my order didn't come as I wanted it or didn't come on time, I would want to hear from the manager or owner that they're trying to make it right, and that would entice me to give them another chance," Camper said."

This law in effect makes the deliverer more answerable to the restaurant. I cannot see anything negative in that.
I still don't understand why the law is needed.

"The restaurant had no control"
"The customer simply had no recourse"

Huh? Who is preventing the restaurant from establishing rules for the delivery service, and who is forcing the customer to do business with a specific restaurant?
Old 04-06-2024, 07:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
1. The delivery platform must show the purchase price and itemize other charges. This protects the restaurant against delivery platforms unilaterally increasing the purchase price to hide fees and blaming it on the restaurant.

2. The purchase price *may* be higher than the in-restaurant price if the restaurant agrees with this. This does not protect the restaurant but does not protect the customer either.

3. The platform must provide a mechanism for the customer to direct concerns back to the platform. I'm surprised that doesn't exist already. If my package gets lost in UPS I can call UPS to find it. If my food is delivered late by Uber-Eats I assumed there would be an Uber-Eats number to complain to.

4. The platform must provide the restaurant with a means of contacting the customer from the time the order is place to up to two hours after it is delivered. This is the part that the news comment was about. I don't know how I am protected or my life improved as a customer by providing my information to the restaurant. I don't order out a lot, but it happens. I have *never* been contacted by the restaurant to tell me my order would not be ready when I arrived. I have *never* been contacted by the restaurant to tell me that my order was not going to be prepared the way I requested.

On the other hand, I will take the restaurant owner at his word when he says, "I'm hoping being able to directly contact the customer is going to boost our sales a lot.." I can imagine that my contact information being given to the restaurant will result in unsolicited calls or texts from the restaurant attempting to boost their sales.

I simply do not see this protecting the customer at all. I see this protecting the restaurant and I see it causing a few headaches for the platform but I don't see anything in it for me. Prices will not change, there will just be more lines on the bill. Delivery will not be faster and the food will not be warmer, there will just be a complaint line I can call. The restaurant is not going to call to tell me my food will be late, they will simply allow me to blame it on the delivery service. But the restaurant will have my contact information for use in their effort to "boost our sales a lot."
Correct
Even if the line items decrease, nothing in the law restricts an app from packaging all of it under a single ‘delivery charge’. As long as they’re up front about it and the consumer hits ‘accept’....the apps will see no hit from this. That’s why they supported it and there was minimal pushback. Adjust...adapt....and overcome
Old 04-06-2024, 08:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I still don't understand why the law is needed.

"The restaurant had no control"
"The customer simply had no recourse"

Huh? Who is preventing the restaurant from establishing rules for the delivery service, and who is forcing the customer to do business with a specific restaurant?
I know an owner who took a high level of pride in their food and didn't want it delivered suboptimum. The biggest offended was Postmates (acquired by Uber). The actual customers would then post negative reviews on Yelp.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:17 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
I know an owner who took a high level of pride in their food and didn't want it delivered suboptimum. The biggest offended was Postmates (acquired by Uber). The actual customers would then post negative reviews on Yelp.
Then what is needed is a way for the restaurant to respond to ratings or reviews from the customer. Another protection for the restaurant. That is section (5)(b) of the bill.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-06-2024, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,101 Times in 2,756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
"DeSantis signs food delivery app restrictions into law.

How will this affect Florida residents making an order through a food delivery app?
For starters, Floridians will no longer see different prices listed on delivery apps from the restaurant's menu. They will not be allowed to inflate, decrease, or alter a food service establishment’s pricing unless it is already agreed upon.

Additionally, customers will have more communication with establishments during the preparation of orders, during delivery and for up to two hours after a courier picks up the order. The law also states delivery firms must provide consumers with a way to express order concerns directly with the restaurants."

Your browser is not supported | tallahassee.com
Shouldn’t the Governor be focusing on more important things like the broken homeowners insurance marketplace in the state?
Old 04-06-2024, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty_Star View Post
"DeSantis signs food delivery app restrictions into law.

How will this affect Florida residents making an order through a food delivery app?
For starters, Floridians will no longer see different prices listed on delivery apps from the restaurant's menu. They will not be allowed to inflate, decrease, or alter a food service establishment’s pricing unless it is already agreed upon.

Additionally, customers will have more communication with establishments during the preparation of orders, during delivery and for up to two hours after a courier picks up the order. The law also states delivery firms must provide consumers with a way to express order concerns directly with the restaurants."

Your browser is not supported | tallahassee.com
With all the important State issues that should be address, this was a priority, Really!
Old 04-06-2024, 08:29 AM
Default Such Negitivity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post

This will allow the restaurant to contact it's customers to insure they were satisfied with both the quality of the food and the delivery. Insuring customer satisfaction is the way to "boost our sales a lot".
Old 04-06-2024, 08:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by msirianni View Post
This will allow the restaurant to contact it's customers to insure they were satisfied with both the quality of the food and the delivery. Insuring customer satisfaction is the way to "boost our sales a lot".
Do you honestly think the restaurant is going to take time out of their day to call all their delivery customers to ask how the food was? Do you *want* restaurants calling you while you are eating to ask how the food is? How about places where you ordered carry-out, should they call you 20 minutes after you picked up the food to ask how you like it?

My answers to those are no, I don't think restaurants would call me and I certainly don't want them to.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 04-06-2024, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,282 Times in 4,299 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Shouldn’t the Governor be focusing on more important things like the broken homeowners insurance marketplace in the state?
He signed a Bill...

He didn't write the law... That was the State Legislators...

-Tom Petty
Old 04-06-2024, 08:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msirianni View Post
Hmmmm. Not sure if your quote at the end is hinting at collusion or the restaurant industry (who also lobbied for it)....adopting an addition by subtraction sales approach ?
Old 04-06-2024, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
With all the important State issues that should be address, this was a priority, Really!
Priority? Depends. This law did not come into being in a vacuum.

Gov. DeSantis signed 10 other bills into law at the time that he signed the Food Delivery Platform into law, as follows (floridadaily dot com website)

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — Governor Ron DeSantis signed the following bills:

HB 5203 – Property Seized by the Florida Gaming Control Commission

HB 7043 – A Review Under the Open Government Sunset Review Act

CS/CS/HB 883 – Short-acting Bronchodilator Use in Public and Private Schools

HB 523 – Florida Seal of Fine Arts Program

CS/CS/HB 217 – College Campus Facilities in Areas of Critical State Concern

CS/HB 801 – Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementia Training for Law Enforcement and Correctional Officers

CS/CS/HB 1491 – Public Records

SB 46 – Reading Achievement Initiative for Scholastic Excellence Program

SB 304 – Household Moving Services

CS/SB 7008 – A Review Under the Open Government Sunset Review Act

CS/SB 676 – Food Delivery Platforms

A good indicator of what is wrong with media these days: focus on the sensational at the expense of the factual. Or, as my Norwegian friends would say, "tedens tegin".
Old 04-06-2024, 08:49 AM

Joe will fix this with swamping us with undocumented delivery businesses.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
He signed a Bill...

He didn't write the law... That was the State Legislators...
Missed in all of the analytics and reactions.
Old 04-06-2024, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Hmmm. ‘goes into effect July 2025’ ...I sense a lot of non compliance in the next 15 months. Kudos to Uber Eats and Door Dash anyway for lobbying for its passage
This allows for the law to be interpreted and gives IT Depts time to make their systems ready for all of this.

Tags
delivery, food, app, law, order

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.