Harvest Restaurant - Worst Service Ever

Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2022, 08:22 PM
Default Harvest Restaurant - Worst Service Ever

Just spent 2-hours “dining” at Harvest Restaurant in Brownwood. Was only approached after about 20 minutes. Between the time the appetizer and dinner order was taken and served, it was at least 45 minutes, maybe longer. While that is perfectly acceptable at a Michelin star restaurant, I suggest it represents abysmal service at Harvest. To top it off, the blond woman at the front desk was rather rude when I CALMLY mentioned the issue and her asking curtly “what do you want?” Duh, how about reasonable service! I should mention they were kind enough to comp a desert for my family. Notwithstanding the fiasco, I did leave a 30% tip since I understand that wait staff relies on tips. I suggest this was a management issue so why penalize the server. As for me, thanks for ruining my birthday dinner. I wont return to Harvest anytime soon and my recommendation to others is to think before you visit Harvest. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by HawkinsGuy; 12-28-2022 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,424 Times in 2,269 Posts

That’s unfortunate. We’ve dined at Harvest four times and have had great service and food each time. That’s why we keep going back. I wonder if they’re short handed because of the holidays.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 12-28-2022, 08:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,781 Times in 1,244 Posts

Can happen anywhere in season, lots of visitors in for the holidays.

Had a similar experience at Prima last night. Kitchen could not keep up with the crowd.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:37 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,247 Times in 362 Posts

I am puzzled by the 30% tip. This absolutely sounds like a server failure by your description. Sounds like you encouraged poor service with a generous tip.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 12-28-2022, 09:31 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,639 Times in 443 Posts

I have been there dozens of times, always exceptional service - this sounds like a “one off”, you should give it another try.
Old 12-28-2022, 09:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,047 Times in 5,336 Posts

10 minutes and no server has approached would have left.
Old 12-28-2022, 10:22 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,970 Times in 755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkinsGuy View Post
Just spent 2-hours “dining” at Harvest Restaurant in Brownwood. Was only approached after about 20 minutes. Between the time the appetizer and dinner order was taken and served, it was at least 45 minutes, maybe longer. While that is perfectly acceptable at a Michelin star restaurant, I suggest it represents abysmal service at Harvest. To top it off, the blond woman at the front desk was rather rude when I CALMLY mentioned the issue and her asking curtly “what do you want?” Duh, how about reasonable service! I should mention they were kind enough to comp a desert for my family. Notwithstanding the fiasco, I did leave a 30% tip since I understand that wait staff relies on tips. I suggest this was a management issue so why penalize the server. As for me, thanks for ruining my birthday dinner. I wont return to Harvest anytime soon and my recommendation to others is to think before you visit Harvest. Your mileage may vary.
No one is worth a 30% tip.
Old 12-29-2022, 05:49 AM

I've eaten there 3-4 times with fantastic food and service. I'm sure with it being the holidays, lots of visitors, short staff, and a kitchen that couldn't keep up were all contributing factors.

I think if I had to wait that long I'd have to ask for the manager and inquire about options. There is no way I'd wait that long. The 30% tip is egregious. If the problem was in the kitchen, the wait staff should have came around often and communicated. The fact that you were ghosted and received 30% tells them this is acceptable and valued.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Just spent 2-hours “dining” at Harvest Restaurant in Brownwood. Was only approached after about 20 minutes. Between the time the appetizer and dinner order was taken and served, it was at least 45 minutes, maybe longer. While that is perfectly acceptable at a Michelin star restaurant, I suggest it represents abysmal service at Harvest. To top it off, the blond woman at the front desk was rather rude when I CALMLY mentioned the issue and her asking curtly “what do you want?” Duh, how about reasonable service! I should mention they were kind enough to comp a desert for my family. Notwithstanding the fiasco, I did leave a 30% tip since I understand that wait staff relies on tips. I suggest this was a management issue so why penalize the server. As for me, thanks for ruining my birthday dinner. I wont , return to Harvest anytime soon and my recommendation to others is to think before you visit Harvest. Your mileage may vary.
We took another couple, dear friends of ours who are Villagers, out for dinner at Harvest. Here was my experience: The service wasn’t slow, however it was rather clipped, it wasn’t warm and there weren’t many smiles. I feel for you because it’s quite frustrating to be seated at a restaurant, then ignored for around 20 minutes. Ten minutes would have annoyed me, depending on how hungry I was! But 20 minutes is unacceptable.

The food was okay, but not especially good. One of our friend’s got a steak (small filet Mignon, $40). That was the least expensive steak on the menu, BTW. It was ok, again not great. Honestly I’m not in a hurry to go back. As far as the tip goes, I tend to overtip, just like you. I don’t believe in stiffing waiters. But 30% does seem excessive, especially if they kept you waiting. On the other hand, it’s a nice gesture during the holiday season and servers generally work hard.
Old 12-29-2022, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Happy birthday!
Old 12-29-2022, 07:05 AM

Quote:
I would cut the restaurant a little slack since it is the holiday season and most likely short staffed. Some staff probably migrate south after the holidays for work. 30% tip is generous, but I always tip much higher during the holidays, too. There is however, no excuse for the hostess to have an attitude and I would have called her out right then and there in a diplomatic way.
Old 12-29-2022, 07:10 AM

"I complained about the service."

"I gave them 30% tip."

Sounds like 2 different stories.
Old 12-29-2022, 07:17 AM

Just bad timing. Holidays, snow birds and just the abundant of people who want to get out after being cased up with family and the cold. To top it off the places that are short handed with staff. Some have had great experience there and some bad. Just my $0.02 that can be added to your tip for next time.
Sorry you had a bad experience.
Old 12-29-2022, 07:34 AM

Your note below needs to be seen by restaurant management. Otherwise, that 30% tip is the only message they got ("we must be doing fantastic - look at this tip").

Quote:
Old 12-29-2022, 07:48 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,377 Times in 500 Posts

All the restaurants are short staffed. We went to one restaurant where the pastry chef did not show up so the other chefs needed to pick up the slack. Another restaurant had no dishwasher so everyone had to share that responsibility. Yet another was short on bar staff so we waited a while for our drinks. It is very hard to find people who want to work and the restaurants are suffering.
Closed Thread

Tags
harvest, service, minutes, restaurant, dinner

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.