Hemingways Sold

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2017, 04:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
You cant be a restaurant at a Country Club in The Villages and NOT have a golfers or even a lunch menu. Hemmingway's did not cater to either. Tables were always set up with table cloths and Golfers were practically forced to sit outside in the back or at a high top, no quick food during the day ...so golfers just did not stick around. Even in the evening, our golf group simply did not want to pay white table cloth prices when you were finished playing after playing in 90 degree heat.....and this would be for a group of approx 30 players.
I agree
Old 08-27-2017, 08:02 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
You cant be a restaurant at a Country Club in The Villages and NOT have a golfers or even a lunch menu. Hemmingway's did not cater to either. Tables were always set up with table cloths and Golfers were practically forced to sit outside in the back or at a high top, no quick food during the day ...so golfers just did not stick around. Even in the evening, our golf group simply did not want to pay white table cloth prices when you were finished playing after playing in 90 degree heat.....and this would be for a group of approx 30 players.
I will take issue here. Why can't a CC restaurant have a golf menu up to 4 PM and then switch to a more formal dinner menu? Must we always just have "cheap" high calorie food? I love a good burger as much as the next person but I'm smart enough to know that a steady diet of burgers is a sure way to never see the future.

What I could never figure out is why none of the CC's offer any kind of food pick up at the "turn"? Really, you can't figure out how to do call aheads for pick ups as you go to the back nine like any of the thousands of other golf clubs in the U.S.? Seems to me the CC's lose more business by not having this than the few golf groups that come in after 18.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
And do you know what will make fries soggy? Spit!
Old 08-28-2017, 07:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
I will take issue here. Why can't a CC restaurant have a golf menu up to 4 PM and then switch to a more formal dinner menu? Must we always just have "cheap" high calorie food? I love a good burger as much as the next person but I'm smart enough to know that a steady diet of burgers is a sure way to never see the future.

What I could never figure out is why none of the CC's offer any kind of food pick up at the "turn"? Really, you can't figure out how to do call aheads for pick ups as you go to the back nine like any of the thousands of other golf clubs in the U.S.? Seems to me the CC's lose more business by not having this than the few golf groups that come in after 18.
And if you think play is slow now, watch what happens when people stop for food 1/2 way through.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
And if you think play is slow now, watch what happens when people stop for food 1/2 way through.
Amen. About slow play.

And Aloha, it is true that some food is better for you than others, but it is not up to the restaurant to address that issue as it's prime goal. It's prime goal is to sell food and to have return customers.

It is simply supply and demand that keeps restaurants and other local businesses running.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:13 AM

I heard they are putting the bar outside
Old 08-28-2017, 01:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

[QUOTE=Aloha1;1440551]I will take issue here. Why can't a CC restaurant have a golf menu up to 4 PM and then switch to a more formal dinner menu? Must we always just have "cheap" high calorie food? I love a good burger as much as the next person but I'm smart enough to know that a steady diet of burgers is a sure way to never see the future.

What I could never figure out is why none of the CC's offer any kind of food pick up at the "turn"? Really, you can't figure out how to do call aheads for pick ups as you go to the back nine like any of the thousands of other golf clubs in the U.S.? Seems to me the CC's lose more business by not having this than the few golf groups that come in

. I believe if there was a viable market for food other than snacks at the turn, most CC restaurants would offer it.

Last edited by bagboy; 08-28-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Gold member

Mulligan, GG, and Bagboy; I respect your take but my comment was in the context of all the golf courses in the U.S. that somehow seem to manage having food pick up at the turn without sacrificing pace of play. Just wondered why that can't be done here.

Might be true that most would not order anything but snacks but for me, if I have a tee time in the second wave, I'd rather eat something at 12:30 or 1 PM rather than earlier.

OK, I fear we've (or I've) wandered off from the topic at hand so back to the once and future Hemmingway's. Still crossing my fingers that they keep it a Floribbean seafood venue!
Old 08-28-2017, 05:07 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Mulligan, GG, and Bagboy; I respect your take but my comment was in the context of all the golf courses in the U.S. that somehow seem to manage having food pick up at the turn without sacrificing pace of play. Just wondered why that can't be done here.

Might be true that most would not order anything but snacks but for me, if I have a tee time in the second wave, I'd rather eat something at 12:30 or 1 PM rather than earlier.

OK, I fear we've (or I've) wandered off from the topic at hand so back to the once and future Hemmingway's. Still crossing my fingers that they keep it a Floribbean seafood venue!
Ya know..., would it be too much to ask to have a Cajun or Creole restaurant? Okay, then, how about southern food?
Old 08-28-2017, 07:31 PM

I was wrong, stopped there today. No outside bar!
Old 08-28-2017, 08:19 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
Ya know..., would it be too much to ask to have a Cajun or Creole restaurant? Okay, then, how about southern food?
Here's the thing.We're 90 miles from the Gulf and 90 miles from the Atlantic. So why can't we have a local restaurant serving FRESH local seafood? And if you want to do it up NOLA style, I'm all in. Just hoping.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:29 AM
Sage

Quote:

I think that since the vast majority of players drive their own carts and bring their drinks and snacks with them the volume of sales "at the turn" would not justify the construction/remodel and labor costs to provide the service. Which is why we don't have roving drink/snack carts on the courses, which could be done at lower cost than a stop at the turn.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:56 AM

Sorry to read this!! The escargot appetizer at Hemingways was outstanding! Had a couple of great meals there.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
So why can't we have a local restaurant serving FRESH local seafood? Just hoping.
There used to be a fish restaurant called "Up The Creek". It closed; and then reopened as Codys.
I would love a restaurant that offers FRESH local seafood, but I guess we must be in the minority.
Old 08-30-2017, 03:30 AM
Veteran member

I'm actually surprised there isn't a seafood restaurant in the Villages. The fresh seafood restaurants in California were very successful with their early bird menus for the retired folks. I assumed that's what most of us older people like to eat.

I am impressed that Palmer's seems to have the right menu for both giant golf groups and nice dinners. Maybe they will share their secret.

Americano's is one of my favorite restaurants in the villages. I absolutely love their gyros. They season their lamb just the way I like it. I also like Red Sauce, and my husband and I keep thinking we should get there more often. I love the view from Hemingway's so this all sounds good to me.
Closed Thread

Tags
hemingways, owns, red, sauce/johnny, restaurant

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.