Hoagie's-Subs

Closed Thread
Old 09-18-2018, 12:41 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts
Default Hoagie's-Subs

My favorite place to get a good hoagie is WaWa on 301 in Oxford. Every time I go there I'm pleased. Very reasonable prices on Hoagie's and gasoline as well.
What's your favorite place?
Old 09-18-2018, 01:37 PM
Platinum member

Hey OP,

Which hoagie do you recommend? Is a hoagie similar to a Subways sandwich? In Brooklyn we called them heros. Choice of luncheon/deli meats and/or cheese with the works. Tomato, lettuce, sometimes peppers.

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:43 PM
Veteran member

In Mass., we call them grinders. I haven't tried WaWa, but here I like Publix. My personal favorite is the new Havana Bold. I also think Jersey Mike's has a really good meatball Sub. When we visit our son in Longwood, we find that Jimmy John's is good, but there aren't any around here that I know of
Old 09-18-2018, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,743 Times in 704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
My favorite place to get a good hoagie is WaWa on 301 in Oxford. Every time I go there I'm pleased. Very reasonable prices on Hoagie's and gasoline as well.
What's your favorite place?
I love WaWa subs!
Old 09-18-2018, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,391 Times in 2,403 Posts

Jersey Mike’s.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:01 PM
Sage

In NYC its a Hero, the origin was for the Italian immigrant laborers who built the NYC, their wives would pack a meal between the halves of a loaf of real Italian bread. the men would put the sandwich under their clothing in a few hours they had a hot HERO sandwich--these men were the real Heroes who built NYC--& I'm not Italian, my wife is

Honestly Wawa blows every subshop in the area out of the water--breakfast/subs can feed 3 people
Old 09-18-2018, 03:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Jerysey Mike's without a doubt, they make them the way a sub is suppose to be made. When I 19 I worked for my cousin in his sub shop on the boardwalk in Ocean City, MD, that was 1969. Ever since then I know what I like a sub to taste like. I get the steak with grilled onions and peppers, no cheese or #3 which is the ham and provolone prepared Mike's Way.

WaWa I had one opened within 1000' feet of my home in Maryland in 2004. They use to have subs already prepared in the island bins. They were very good considering it was a fancy gas station. When they opened on 301 and 466 I went the first week and all they had was wraps in the bins. I asked, did you sell out of the prepared subs, they said no, you order what you want. So I ordered via the screen and it was not as good as they were back in Maryland.

Also it's really a hassle to get in and out of WaWa for a sub that is less than what I want. I rather be at Jersey Mike's anyway, so that where I go every other week, otherwise I get antsy if I don't have one that often.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:22 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Hey OP,

Which hoagie do you recommend? Is a hoagie similar to a Subways sandwich? In Brooklyn we called them heros. Choice of luncheon/deli meats and/or cheese with the works. Tomato, lettuce, sometimes peppers.

Thanks.
Yes, only much better. I like the Italian with pickles, onions, hot peppers.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Hey OP,

Thanks.
BK, I Mass. we called them subs. In Conn., grinders.

I like ham and cheese, toasted, with LTMP. Sometimes with hots.
Old 09-18-2018, 04:30 PM
Veteran member

Kinda depends where I am. I prefer them freshly made not like Publix or Walmart.

WaWa
Jersey Mikes

Tried Firehouse for the first time recently. Very good.

The Untold Truth Of Firehouse Subs - YouTube
Old 09-18-2018, 04:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,028 Times in 458 Posts

I especially like the fact that you can order what you want online from Jersey Mike's, including customization (more toppings, less toppings, different bread, etc.). Everybody can order exactly what they want. You pay for it with a credit card and designate a pick up time. Walk in at the appointed time and go straight to the register to get your order. No waiting. Easy... peasy.

Jersey Mike's, Lady Lake, FL - On line Ordering
Old 09-18-2018, 05:34 PM
Gold member

Jersey Mike's ! We're regulars, at least once a week. I get number 7 Mike's way. Husband gets either 13 or 17, not Mike's way.....something wrong with him! And of course we always have a coupon, lots of times go on Mondays for extra points!
Old 09-18-2018, 05:57 PM

In Philly, it's a Hoagie, and a sin to make it with other then fresh sliced meat designated for that sandwich. We used to be able to get them at Publix that way but were told the last time we went they would not do that for us any more. Since we usually took them home to doctor up particularly with a better tomato, its no great loss to us. It does mean Publix will not be selling us the sandwiches however. We will still buy the rolls, which are not bad, and make our own however.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:05 PM

In NY we call them heroes. Chatbrat mention this book to your wife it’s called Old Bread, New Wine. It’s about the Italian immigrants and the contributions they made to this country. Also, how they were treated. Very interesting.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
I especially like the fact that you can order what you want online from Jersey Mike's, including customization (more toppings, less toppings, different bread, etc.). Everybody can order exactly what they want. You pay for it with a credit card and designate a pick up time. Walk in at the appointed time and go straight to the register to get your order. No waiting. Easy... peasy.

Jersey Mike's, Lady Lake, FL - On line Ordering
Publix offers the same service.
Closed Thread

Tags
place, favorite, reasonable, prices, pleased

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.