Honest John's Whiskey and Provisions

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
This is a popular tavern in Royal Oak, Michigan. It was always busy and great food.
Dinner
Are you saying this is what the menu will look like, since you have seen the menu, or are you just guessing?
Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 09-16-2014, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
Announced in today's Daily Sun as going into the old TGI Fridays, It will have a "Northern tavern feel." My limited and very dated experience with Northern taverns does not make this sound like a place I would want to patronize. I believe there are a few Northerners in the villages. Can some of them help manage my expectations please?
Soon as it opens be happy to give you my thoughts. As for your expectations I think you can manage them on your own.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:04 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmemac View Post
Are you saying this is what the menu will look like, since you have seen the menu, or are you just guessing?
I only put that up for the OP as an example of tavern food.
He said "My limited and very dated experience with Northern taverns does not make this sound like a place I would want to patronize."
I thought this would give a better look at this type of restaurant.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:15 AM
Platinum member

I'm not sure what "northern tavern" means either. Does that mean they keep the air conditioning set to the 30's? Will they put ice on the floor? When you order do they say "fuhgedaboudit?" Do they have special places where you "pawk your cah?"

OK, these are lame attempts at humor, but really, what distinguishes a northern tavern?
Old 09-17-2014, 07:32 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
I'm not sure what "northern tavern" means either. Does that mean they keep the air conditioning set to the 30's? Will they put ice on the floor? When you order do they say "fuhgedaboudit?" Do they have special places where you "pawk your cah?"

OK, these are lame attempts at humor, but really, what distinguishes a northern tavern?
I'm not sure. My guess is taverns are more popular in northern states or maybe different from southern states.
Mike from City Fire is from Ohio.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:38 AM

A tavern is a place of business where people gather to drink alcoholic beverages and be served food, and in some cases, where travelers receive lodging. Usually small rather quaint places with good food for a reasonable price-but that is just my experience coming from the north.

Taught physics and chemistry to teenagers for 37 years!! Started out in Rhinebeck,NY and ended up in Havre de Grace, MD-moved to Buttonwood full time and then moved to Labelle, but still go north to do some goose/deer hunting !!!!
Old 09-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

So maybe whiskey will be involved and beef jerky as the provisions and you can trade them with pelts
Old 09-17-2014, 08:26 AM
Gold member

Theme restaurants rarely have great food.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:09 AM

I guess there's a difference between a "northern tavern" and a "northern bar". In my experience, northern bar=strong smell of cigarettes and stale beer with just a hint of vomit.
Glad it's going to be a "Tavern"!
Old 09-17-2014, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonerboy View Post
I guess there's a difference between a "northern tavern" and a "northern bar". In my experience, northern bar=strong smell of cigarettes and stale beer with just a hint of vomit.
Glad it's going to be a "Tavern"!
And dont forget the distinct odor of chemicals and urine as you headed to the restrooms.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:19 PM

Taverns in Virginia are like pubs. Usually focused on a really nice bar and limited menu for food an in a smaller surrounding. Some may have one TV but if there were several then it was called a Sports Bar not tavern. They are more like the favorite hangout where everyone knows everyone.
The area at TGIF is way to big to even be referred to as a tavern so it will be interesting to see how the place is designed since the trademark name was just established, at least that what it sounds like.

HONEST JOHN'S PUBLIC HOUSE WHISKEY & PROVISIONS EST.1927 DON'T LET THE TRUTH GET IN THE WAY OF A GOOD STORY

HONEST JOHN'S PUBLIC HOUSE WHISKEY & PROVISIONS EST.1927 DON'T LET THE TRUTH GET IN THE WAY OF A GOOD STORY - Reviews & Brand Information - Atlantic Coast Management, Inc. Winter Park, FL - Serial Number: 86359006
Old 09-17-2014, 03:21 PM
Dancing Thyme

Can't wait to see how Gina decorates it,, she has SUCH good taste. Still love the chandeliers in Brownwood, hope they don't put her on a tight budget, LOL. Gina, call me if you need deco help, lol....

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 09-17-2014, 03:22 PM
Platinum member

Sounds like a great idea to me. Can't wait for it to open!!
Old 09-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Gold member

I just hope they have Good Whisky !
Old 09-17-2014, 09:06 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathieI View Post
Can't wait to see how Gina decorates it,, she has SUCH good taste. Still love the chandeliers in Brownwood, hope they don't put her on a tight budget, LOL. Gina, call me if you need deco help, lol....
Gina and I did the big wall and all the other wall hangings at the City Fire in Sumter. 3 trips to Kirklands, then Walmart, Bealls and Belks ! LOL That was a fun time. Then my Gary and his buddy hung everything where we wanted it. We had a blast.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.