Indian Restaurants in the area (Sumter and beyond)

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarra View Post
I've been looking at properties in the villages for the past year - plans put on hold until Covid-19 is over - and have made some short trips to visit and experience the lifestyle around Sumter.

I like variety in my food and Thai, Indian, Japanese, Korean foods are all favorites. While I managed to enjoy a meal at Thai Ruby I was unable to locate any nearby Indian restaurants.

Can anyone that lives around Sumter and shares the same taste as me comment on what options there are in the Villages? If I have to go outside of the bubble to say Ocala or beyond, then do you find it too far to travel?

Thanks.
Hi there is an Indian in Ocala Amrit and one in Mount Dora, our Gavin Clermont called Guru.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
If you can't find those type of restaurants near you I recommend you try making them yourself! Because of Covid I tried to make my own authentic indian food and it was just as good as restaurants I've been to, and quite easy to do.
Our favourite is Guru in Clermont well worth the trip out.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:59 AM
Default Try the below ones , we also like variety

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarra View Post
I've been looking at properties in the villages for the past year - plans put on hold until Covid-19 is over - and have made some short trips to visit and experience the lifestyle around Sumter.

I like variety in my food and Thai, Indian, Japanese, Korean foods are all favorites. While I managed to enjoy a meal at Thai Ruby I was unable to locate any nearby Indian restaurants.

Can anyone that lives around Sumter and shares the same taste as me comment on what options there are in the Villages? If I have to go outside of the bubble to say Ocala or beyond, then do you find it too far to travel?

Thanks.
Try Amrit Palace For Indian on Route 200 in Ocala.
Ayattuya also on Rt 200 for Thai
Yummy House also on art 200 for Asian
Pho Village in Summerfield on Rt 441 across the road from Wal-Mart
Sakura for Japanese food, however go to the one on 441 Close to the Village Hospital rather than the one on 466
Harry’s on the square In Ocala for American dining
Our own Legacy at Nancy Lopez Country Club
Grand Oaks Bistro off of Rt 25 in Weirsdale
The Oaks on Rt 44
Marks Prime in the square Ocala
We have not found any Korean food herE
We use and rate restaurants on Trip Advisor, you might want to review these there.
Those are off my head the best of the best around here. We do patronize restaurants that have great food and service
Old 08-30-2020, 08:20 AM

Most of the restaurants around here are ok but not consistent unique or exceptional being it is for the most part franchise food. A great steak, Japanese etc can only be found driving 45-70 min in either direction. These businesses can not afford the 20-30% higher commercial rent plus a royalty fee payable to TV, before they even open they have these 2 strikes against them. This won’t change.
Old 08-30-2020, 08:29 AM

Amrit Palace in Ocala is worth the trip. I don’t know Shiva in Mt. Dora. Bon appétit!
Old 08-30-2020, 08:32 AM

Amrit Palace in Ocala is outstanding.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:28 AM
Default Great Advice

A basic chicken curry is very easy to make. Publix has wonderful naan bread and you can make a yogurt dip very easily, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
If you can't find those type of restaurants near you I recommend you try making them yourself! Because of Covid I tried to make my own authentic indian food and it was just as good as restaurants I've been to, and quite easy to do.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:30 AM

Please understand TV is 90% white, largely midwestern and northeastern transplants. With the exception of large city dwellers, most do not seek ethnic restaurants. Add that cheap largely defines Villagers, the area is full of $15 meals and $2.50 beer. To experience something different, you have to go to Gainesville, Ocala, Tampa and Orlando. FYI, Amrit Palace has been a great family run Indian restaurant for over 20 years.
Old 08-30-2020, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,111 Posts
Default And you know this

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
Most of the restaurants around here are ok but not consistent unique or exceptional being it is for the most part franchise food. A great steak, Japanese etc can only be found driving 45-70 min in either direction. These businesses can not afford the 20-30% higher commercial rent plus a royalty fee payable to TV, before they even open they have these 2 strikes against them. This won’t change.
because you have seen the rental agreements or because your tight with a friend of there barber
Old 08-30-2020, 10:20 AM
Default Indian Restaurants

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1946 View Post
Hi - I'm a Brit - Have eaten in the Spanish Springs one a few years ago - was not good not surprised they did not make it ...now were any of the ones in Ocala ... SO us Brits formed our own curry club and we meet once every 3-4 weeks at someone's house each of us then bring different things - starters/mains etc. When you get to The Villages make friends with a Brit ... we have over 9000 Indian restaurants in the UK .. we know what we are doing !! What region to you like ?? Flavours are totally different depending on region.
You have to go to Orlando and even there it is not the real thing. How I miss Manchester! Used to go there when I worked for Unilever.
Old 08-30-2020, 10:27 AM
Default Amrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by algi45 View Post
You have to go to Orlando and even there it is not the real thing. How I miss Manchester! Used to go there when I worked for Unilever.
Amrit is okay for what it is, but it is Americanized Indian food. I'd rather drive the few extra miles and go to Orlando for Indian food. Many choices. Make it a day and go to Trader Joe's and Costco.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:43 PM

Amrit Palace in Ocala is my favorite.
Old 08-30-2020, 03:54 PM

Go to Ocala large Indian returant good food and selection. Amrit something like that
Old 08-31-2020, 06:10 AM
Veteran member

Amarillo Palace in Ocala is excellent, both for food and service. The SW side of Ocala is about a half hour’s drive from The Villages north of 466.
Old 08-31-2020, 11:00 AM

I thought the closed space in SS was over priced for Indian food
Closed Thread

Tags
indian, sumter, restaurants, thai, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.