Isabellas disappointing buffet for Easter

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2009, 11:12 AM
Thumbs down Isabellas disappointing buffet for Easter

My family opted to attend Easter dinner at Isabellas on 441. We had always been very pleased with the dinners. When we arrived for the 1:00 Pm seating we were pleased since it was not overcrowded and we were seated immediately. Then everything went downhill. The buffet service table was a high counter usually used to hide the cooking staff from the patrons, really difficult for shorter folks. The man behind the counter, in a dirty t-shirt mind you, was carving ham with the bone lengthwise. Giving you a stingy slab to deal with. Clearly he did not have any experence with carving. Only 6 entrees unlabled, since mostly everything had a red sauce it made chosing difficult. No desserts. When we asked why at 17.99 buffet did not include dessert, their answer was that for the price they were charging, they couldn't afford to give dessert however we would be able to order separately from the menu. We went elsewhere for dessert.
I called the owner of the store the following week and gave my issues to her, she was not at all concerned about our experience. Well she just lost a customer. Clearly this is a business that does not value their customer's comments and clearly does not know how to host a buffet. Maybe they should stick to what they know.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Gold member
Default Easter Dining

Someone suggested that Holidays are the worst time to go to some area restaurants with limited holiday menus and buffets because the food is often prepared in advance and not what you usually receive from these same restaurants on other days.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Cal.... Have to agree with you on Isabella's restaurant. After seeing the prices on the menu, we did not order and told them that their prices were too high and chose to leave. They didn't seem concerned at us leaving.

We then stopped in at Little Joey's restaurant in the same strip mall and that was so much better.....delicious food, great service, and more reasonably priced.

barb

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 04-19-2009, 01:40 PM

My family and I went to Isabellas for their Thanksgiving buffet and was greatly disappointed. Where it is set up is way too high for short people. My Mom couldn't see what was in the serving platters. And the most important item for Thanksgiving wasn't even a whole carved turkey, they were serving turkey roll. We went there because we heard good things about their food, but we will never go there again.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Kind of wonder whats really in turkey roll.... I for one have been very suspicious of some food items sense the Buffalo dissapeared....

just a thought .. fumar .
Old 04-19-2009, 07:09 PM

My husband and I took my parents and our son and his girlfriend there for Easter dinner also. What a disaster!! Everything was terrible, down to the hamburger buns they were serving as the rolls.

The carver in the dirty t-shirt really added to the ambiance! I half expected him to throw the meat at me.

I had never heard of a holiday buffet that didn't include dessert, but I managed to find one!

Luckily my family has a good sense of humor and we were able to laugh throughout the whole experience, although we did go elsewhere for dessert. They were not getting any more money from us!
Old 04-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Founder

The last time we were there (and I do mean the last time) the service and attitude got an "F" grade from us.

One of the things that stood out was that is was our dinner group of 12 people. We called ahead and had reservations. When we got there, the table was set for only 10. So their solution was to put my wife and I at a different table from our group. We sat with total strangers. (they were nice people though) Our group placed their order, but we had to wait until they got around to us. When we complained, she said, "well, I have this large group over here."
Old 04-20-2009, 11:05 PM

My experience at Isabella's has always been GREAT! The staff is extremely gracious and the owner always stops by to see how things are. I think the prices are fair. I've never been there for a holiday buffet. I typically avoid them for the reasons listed throughout this post. It is a liitle odd that they didn't have dessert. Best to check what they are offering ahead of time, I guess.

My experience at Little Joeys, however, has been more like what CAL experienced at Isabella's. On my first visit I got a dirty wine glass, mediocre food and a less than cordial server. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and tried them again. Wasn't much better.

Funny how experiences can vary so widely.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:20 AM
Founder

Somebody should mention to the ownerhsip that their restaurants are being discussed on Talk of The Villages.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Lets be honest very few resturants especially the size of Isabellas can accomodate 12 persons. Even the Country clubs in TV would try but im certain you (not personal but anyone making the reservation) would find fault...especially if you all wanted separate bills.

Regarding holiday dining, One thing I have learned is that you will rarely get the same quality of food and service for high demand holidays like Easter, New Years Eve or a better one is Mothers Days . The staff and Kitchen are overwhelmed....I know we should expect better, but really, thats just the way it is ...and we plan accordingly not to be disappointed. I would not base your return to any resturant on what you experienced during a holiday dinner!!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Sage

It is amazing how the local restaurants are hot and cold.

We had a nice dinner with our group of ten at Isabella's a few months ago.

Had a nice dinner at Tierra Del Sol and went back three weeks later and had crap.

Went to Gator Joe's last year and swore we would never go back; got forced to go this year and had good food and service!

About the only place that is consistent is Big City - always the pits, but I keep going back hoping they will get it together because I sure do miss the Chicago Italian Beef Sandwiches.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 04-21-2009, 08:52 PM
Default Isabella's

Hello all, I understand that as of this past week end Isabella's closed due to the economy. Maybe that's why Easter week end was so disappointing.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:23 AM
Sage

I don't understand how it could be because of the 'economy'.

Certainly the 'economy' of TV (especially just after the winter rush) is much different than the rest of the country. On many other threads in this forum you read about long lines at most of the restaurants during the snowbird season. I know that season is ending but I don't think this closing (if factual) is due to the country's slowing economy. More likely their own slowing performance as evidenced above.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:54 AM
Founder

I agree with Russ. If in fact a business closes, I doubt they would put a sign on the door saying "closed due to lousy service."
Old 04-22-2009, 04:19 PM
Veteran member

Understand several other business are closing their doors. Went to Mid florida golf store in the strip mall near the hospital today and they are having a going out of business sale. Also heard but haven't seen evidence yet that several restaurants are closing; 1 in spanish springs and 1 in sumter landing. USA Golf to close it's store in the Colony Plaza. Kinda makes you take notice of the slowdown.........

Last edited by chuckster; 04-22-2009 at 04:21 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.