Just ate in the world's worst BBQ joint

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2009, 10:00 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Sonny's in Bellview is about 10 miles north on 441, BUT they are opening a store in LSL in the May/June timeframe.
Old 02-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Veteran member
Default Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelZ View Post
Sonny's in Bellview is about 10 miles north on 441, BUT they are opening a store in LSL in the May/June timeframe.
Thanks for the directions and distance.

We'll have to check LSL Sonny's out if we come down next year.

Dirigo

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 02-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
Eastern NC BBQ Sauce

INGREDIENTS

* 2 quarts cider vinegar
* 1/4 cup salt
* 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
* 3 tablespoons red pepper flakes
* 1 cup light brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, mix together cider vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, light brown sugar, and hot pepper sauce. Stir until salt and brown sugar have dissolved. Cover, and let stand at least 3 hours before using as a basting sauce or serving on meat.

Sounds delish!! Thanks Kayaker!

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 02-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Veteran member
Default The Cookhouse in New Milford, CT

I beg to differ with the guy who says that there "ain't no good BBQ north of the Mason-Dixon Line"....There is a place called The Cookhouse in (of all places) New Milford, Connecticut that has BBQ so good that I haven't found anything better in almost four years of looking down here. The guy from NYC should check it out and report back...The Cookhouse is on Route 7 north of Danbury.
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 02-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I agree with jt, there is a place called the Montgomery Inn in Cincinnati that has absolutely fabulous BBQ ribs, top 3 I've ever had, check out their website, just don't do it when you are hungry........GN
Old 02-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdraig View Post
I beg to differ with the guy who says that there "ain't no good BBQ north of the Mason-Dixon Line"....There is a place called The Cookhouse in (of all places) New Milford, Connecticut that has BBQ so good that I haven't found anything better in almost four years of looking down here. The guy from NYC should check it out and report back...The Cookhouse is on Route 7 north of Danbury.
I'm sure it's wonderful but I'm tired of wasting money on places "that are the best bbq in ............".

I'll just wait till I get back down south where I know where the good eats are.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Veteran member
Default Try Woody's in Wildwood

IMHO, Woody's is better than either Oakwood or Sonny's. And yes, they do have a NC style pulled pork sandwich with a vinegar base sauce and slaw. But, the best BBQ I have found in The Villages comes out of my Big Green Egg. Had BBQ brisket tonight. It takes a while to make, but boy is it worth it!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:52 PM
Default Ribs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemorc View Post
Oakwood only serves baby back ribs. I enjoy the larger "St. Louis" style ribs, slathered in a spicy hot sauce.

Interesting thing, that. I was born and spent my first 37 years in St. Louis, but never heard of "St. Louis-style" ribs until I moved to Florida -- first had them in a Sonny's in Lake City.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:07 PM
Eternal Member

St Louis style ribs are cut at the first knuckle. You don't get that upper piece with all the cartilage. Personally I like the full rib over the St Louis cut. You can only get the full ribs in the grocery stores in slabs and cook it yourself. It is also cheaper than the St Louis cut.

Buddy's in Wildwood used to serve the full rib but he closed down. I saw an ad where he sells to go only. I have been meaning to check into that.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:12 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybrgeezer View Post
Interesting thing, that. I was born and spent my first 37 years in St. Louis, but never heard of "St. Louis-style" ribs until I moved to Florida -- first had them in a Sonny's in Lake City.
I only lived in St. Louis for 8 years but I had more than my share of ribs --- strangely, coming from KC I was surprised at the lack of BBQ joints in St. Louis. Then my first summer there, I discovered that there was a BBQ cook-out every weekend at a nearby parish or small city/firehouse/whatever so you could always get decent Q at a decent price. Not as good or in such variety as in KC, but better than most other places. But "St. Louis-style" ribs? No way, until I experienced some national chains when I moved East. And I agree with Zcaveman. I'll take the full rib. And BBQMan is right. The creme de la creme is really a good smoked brisket.

http://www.jackstackbbq.com/brisket/c/9/
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 05-05-2009, 05:49 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Fat Boys in Picayune Mississippi has the best BBQ ever. And the brisket is to die for. Had it about every where. NC, SC, VA, FL, CT, MD, KC, St Louis, and Fat Boys is the best yet. Ribs, both beef and pork, pulled pork, brisket, slaw and fixings. Tiny hole in the wall on rte 11, but if your ever near there, well worth the detour.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
St Louis style ribs are cut at the first knuckle.
Ribs have knuckles ? ? ?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:41 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
Eastern NC BBQ Sauce

INGREDIENTS

* 2 quarts cider vinegar
* 1/4 cup salt
* 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
* 3 tablespoons red pepper flakes
* 1 cup light brown sugar
* 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce

DIRECTIONS

1. In a large bowl, mix together cider vinegar, salt, cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, light brown sugar, and hot pepper sauce. Stir until salt and brown sugar have dissolved. Cover, and let stand at least 3 hours before using as a basting sauce or serving on meat.
Thanks Kayaker!! Sounds like you know your bbq sauce!! I have been looking for a good one recently. I will definitely give this a try, sounds yummy!!
Jeanne
Old 06-09-2009, 11:07 AM
Veteran member
Default Best BBQ Ever is in New Milford, CONNECTICUT

Hate to disagree but after having lived in the North, South, East, and West and being a lifelong fan of BBQ....there is a place called THE COOKHOUSE on Route 7 in New Milford, Connecticut (Yup, that's right, Connecticut) that is the hands down winner of ANY BBQ restaurant that I have ever tried! I expect incoming from this post but it's true....
Poughkeepsie, NY;Buckhannon, WV;Oak Bluffs, Mass;Suitland, MD;Salt Point, NY;Camp Lejeune, NC;Highland, NY;Manassas, VA;Colchester, VT;Brookfield, CT;Tucson, AZ;Brookfield, CT;The Villages, FL; Vietnam-1967 USMC
Old 06-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdraig View Post
Hate to disagree but after having lived in the North, South, East, and West and being a lifelong fan of BBQ....there is a place called THE COOKHOUSE on Route 7 in New Milford, Connecticut (Yup, that's right, Connecticut) that is the hands down winner of ANY BBQ restaurant that I have ever tried! I expect incoming from this post but it's true....

I loved theirs too never could figure the spice.

But then I'm from Hawaii what do I know. I'm use to Kow Bee (sp?) and all things based in Soy sauce.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.