Am I wrong?

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2015, 01:49 PM
Sage
Default Am I wrong?

My wife and myself like to eat @ the bar in every restaurant we go to. Matter of fact, if we can't sit @ the bar we leave the establishment and go someplace els.
I have observed, especially during "Happy Hour", patrons sitting at the bar in various establishments for the 2 hours , consume nothing but 2 cheap beers & split @ 5 o'clock.

They are really hurting the owners by hogging space and not spending any real $$ and they are hurting the wait staff by depriving them of higher tips.

No place can stay open on $2.00/drinks and no one can live on fifty cent tips.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:41 PM
Eternal Member

Looking at the title of the thread "Am I Wrong?" Yep.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:49 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Looking at the title of the thread "Am I Wrong?" Yep.
I agree with Bonny. That's just the norm. All resturants deal with it. They all have "sitters" and " regulars". Some eat and spend a lot and some are just cheap, and .......that's OK too.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,043 Times in 369 Posts

We too like sitting at the bar but I don't think what you have questioned is something to be worried about. I do get irritated with cheap tippers/no tippers but I bite my tongue every time. Tip wise, things usually work out for most bartenders. Hopefully anyway.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:11 PM
Sage

At Glenview CC, they ring a bell when the bar staff gets stiffed !!
Old 02-21-2015, 03:30 PM
Sage

offtrack
About 30 years ago I went to MacSorleys in NYC. It was the last bar that was men only. A real dive with their own brand of Ale. They had a big bell, like the Santa's have. Whenever a woman walked in the bar the bartender would yell "Woman in the bar, woman in the bar." Their appetizers were pickled eggs or saltines, onions and mustard.

The bathroom alone would keep most women out of the place.

sorry the ADD kicked in
Old 02-21-2015, 03:53 PM
Email Reported As Spam

So you are saying if a person stops in a restaurant to be sociable following a group event like golf, a movie, etc and they prefer to drink water or just one glass of beer for any given number of reasons or for that matter no reason they are cheap?

You are saying if a person doesn't leave a tip you feel is enough they are cheap?

You think it is cool for Glenview to ring a bell if someone stiffs a waitress or something to that effect?

Hmmmmmm
Old 02-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Sage

Yes, Rubicon--people in Florida ,in general are working for far less than most of our retirement income--also, if you are drinking a Villages cocktail---STAND
Old 02-21-2015, 05:45 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatbrat View Post
At Glenview CC, they ring a bell when the bar staff gets stiffed !!
That is so wrong ! I will let them know that if that's their policy, I will not go there.
We are very good tippers. Some people aren't, but it would be wrong for a restaurant / bar to call a customer out on it.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:12 PM

Quote:
My wife and myself like to eat @ the bar in every restaurant we go to. Matter of fact, if we can't sit @ the bar we leave the establishment and go someplace els.
I have observed, especially during "Happy Hour", patrons sitting at the bar in various establishments for the 2 hours , consume nothing but 2 cheap beers & split @ 5 o'clock.

They are really hurting the owners by hogging space and not spending any real $$ and they are hurting the wait staff by depriving them of higher tips.

No place can stay open on $2.00/drinks and no one can live on fifty cent tips.
Lots of TOTV posters sound like they do just that.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yes, Rubicon--people in Florida ,in general are working for far less than most of our retirement income--also, if you are drinking a Villages cocktail---STAND
Proof please. I seldom tip less than 20%. And what is TV retirement income? $50k, 60k, or more? I don't believe you can support your supposition. Remember, keep the income to TV that's where we live.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Proof please. I seldom tip less than 20%. And what is TV retirement income? $50k, 60k, or more? I don't believe you can support your supposition. Remember, keep the income to TV that's where we live.
Every time someone asks about working in the area the comments are the pay is low. Do you think restaurant workers earned 50-60k?

What do they get $5 an hour? 10k a year? plus tips
To make 40k in tips at 20% a waiter would have to sell 200k in food a year. Do you think they do?
Old 02-21-2015, 07:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Every time someone asks about working in the area the comments are the pay is low. Do you think restaurant workers earned 50-60k?

What do they get $5 an hour? 10k a year? plus tips

To make 40k in tips at 20% a waiter would have to sell 200k in food a year. Do you think they do?

Tom - I just don't care for folks making random comments/accusations without some basis in fact.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:31 PM
Veteran member

My son is a bartender in CT and he along with the wait staff know who the good customers are and those that don't tip, just take up space. The good customers get served very quickly while the cheapskates get served when everyone else is taken care of. These people hustle to make your restaurant experience a pleasant one by providing the best service possible.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bieniaszek View Post
My son is a bartender in CT and he along with the wait staff know who the good customers are and those that don't tip, just take up space. The good customers get served very quickly while the cheapskates get served when everyone else is taken care of. These people hustle to make your restaurant experience a pleasant one by providing the best service possible.
And I appreciate them, and show it with my tip, if they have earned it.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.