Kumo

Old 05-08-2024, 10:35 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,773 Times in 763 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Good review!

I always thought hibachi was synonymous with the communal grill. That part is definitely disappointing.
Well it was definitely very good ! I am not sure of this, but I think "hibachi" refers to the type of cooking (a grill as opposed to oven, frying, etc.) and "Teppan" or "Teppanyaki is the style grill on which "hibachi" type cooking is done; the larger communal grill that also serves as a table. I certainly could be wrong I admit, but that was the explanation I told LONG ago at a Benihana where I grew up near Lauderdale by the Sea.
Old 05-08-2024, 10:42 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
In the north, where I’m from, when someone says they’re going to a ‘hibachi’ restaurant....it’s communal. Right in front of you and your guests. ‘Cooking in the back’ is what we call Chinese take out.
Not claiming to be an expert in this, lol, but I think you might be thinking of "teppanyaki" ? Cooking on a hibachi grill incorporated into large communal tables. Kumo, I just assumed, does have an actual hibachi, just does not do it teppanyaki style, but the food is really delicious and the quality the ingredients, even the type of rice used, is quite high. Will that continue ? Who knows ?
Old 05-08-2024, 10:56 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtennent View Post
We have eaten there several times and enjoy it very much. With dinner time being crowded, we often call in a take out order. For us, it is a five minute golf cart ride to pick up. It also allows us to drink our own wine!

Lol, yes, that's a good point. Will continue to eat there several times a month unless... things change, as they too often do. Ordering sushi and sashimi this weekend as I have enough confidence that they actually have fresh sushi grade tuna (yellow tail) so we'll see how that goes !
Old 05-09-2024, 05:41 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Not claiming to be an expert in this, lol, but I think you might be thinking of "teppanyaki" ? Cooking on a hibachi grill incorporated into large communal tables. Kumo, I just assumed, does have an actual hibachi, just does not do it teppanyaki style, but the food is really delicious and the quality the ingredients, even the type of rice used, is quite high. Will that continue ? Who knows ?
Could be. It’s all good. Either way I love that style of cooking. I’m sure it’s not, but it feels and tastes healthier than other options...

Tags
hibachi, lunch, shrimp, sushi, order

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.