Kumo

Old 05-08-2024, 05:44 AM

We’ve been there five times. Two for dinner and three times for lunch. The food is delicious and plentiful and reasonably priced for what you get. To me, lunch is a bargain.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:48 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
“ In North America, the term hibachi refers to a small cooking stove heated by charcoal (called a shichirin in Japanese), or to an iron hot plate (called a teppan in Japanese) used in teppanyaki restaurants.”
Hibachi - Wikipedia
When I was growing up, this is what we all called a Hibachi. They were popular little grills for use on balconies in apartment houses.
In the north, where I’m from, when someone says they’re going to a ‘hibachi’ restaurant....it’s communal. Right in front of you and your guests. ‘Cooking in the back’ is what we call Chinese take out.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:55 AM
Send a message via AIM to CCristella Send a message via Yahoo to CCristella

You are a restaurant designer?
Old 05-08-2024, 05:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,121 Times in 4,230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Good review!

I always thought hibachi was synonymous with the communal grill. That part is definitely disappointing.
No different than Sakura in Colony Plaza. If you want the show, try VKI in Lake Sumter Landing.
Old 05-08-2024, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Had very good lunch today (5/7) at Kumo, rather new hibachi & sushi restaurant on Kristine Way, off 44. Small, very clean, minimalist, modern Japanese interior makes a good first impression. Late lunch (served until 3), so only 4 tables occupied. Seated immediately and order taken very quickly since it was nearly 3. Ordered hibachi shrimp. Drink and clear soup (surprise, it was actually hot, so often clear soup is luke warm) were promptly at the table and order taken. They had quite a large lunch menu including many sushi choices, hibachi choices, and a variety of Bento box dinners. Ordered hibachi shrimp which came with flavorful plump sushi type rice, grilled vegetables, and a generous portion of medium sized grilled shrimp. Polite and very attentive waitress. If I could suggest any improvement at all, I'd say serving the hibachi lunch on a warm plate would really help since it cools so quickly after it comes off the grill. The hibachi meals are prepared in the kitchen, not at communal grill tables, so those who are mainly interested in the "show" would probably be disappointed even though the food was excellent.

We had lunch there a few times (including yesterday) and very good experience as well. We find their lunch menu very reasonable.

Definitely recommend
Old 05-08-2024, 06:55 AM

We have eaten there several times and enjoy it very much. With dinner time being crowded, we often call in a take out order. For us, it is a five minute golf cart ride to pick up. It also allows us to drink our own wine!

— Joan Robinson, “Contributions to Modern Economics” (1978)
Old 05-08-2024, 07:17 AM

On board with the masses. Good food and service, always.
Old 05-08-2024, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwmmfink View Post
On board with the masses. Good food and service, always.

The spouse and I have went two or three times and they were consistently good -- food and service.

Place isn't fancy, but neither are we.
Old 05-08-2024, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Had very good lunch today (5/7) at Kumo, rather new hibachi & sushi restaurant on Kristine Way, off 44. Small, very clean, minimalist, modern Japanese interior makes a good first impression. Late lunch (served until 3), so only 4 tables occupied. Seated immediately and order taken very quickly since it was nearly 3. Ordered hibachi shrimp. Drink and clear soup (surprise, it was actually hot, so often clear soup is luke warm) were promptly at the table and order taken. They had quite a large lunch menu including many sushi choices, hibachi choices, and a variety of Bento box dinners. Ordered hibachi shrimp which came with flavorful plump sushi type rice, grilled vegetables, and a generous portion of medium sized grilled shrimp. Polite and very attentive waitress. If I could suggest any improvement at all, I'd say serving the hibachi lunch on a warm plate would really help since it cools so quickly after it comes off the grill. The hibachi meals are prepared in the kitchen, not at communal grill tables, so those who are mainly interested in the "show" would probably be disappointed even though the food was excellent.
The shrimp was the BEST hibachi shrimp I’ve ever eaten! Not overcooked and very tasty
Old 05-08-2024, 11:22 AM

There are lots of booths…not sure what the issue is. Decor and service is amazing…our go to place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I picked up a menu when they first opened, but I haven't eaten there yet. My only comment was that they could have spent a little money on the decor, and maybe arranged the tables better or add some booths. But, I will give it a try.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:24 AM
Default Shhhhhh!

Best food and value in The Villages. Their Sushi is unmatched by any other place.
Quote:
Old 05-08-2024, 01:18 PM

Love Kumo! Been there about 6 times. Order the same... the Hawaiian bowl, flaming lobster sushi, and steamed gyoza. Nice atmosphere eating in but to avoid the wait for seating many order takeout.
Old 05-08-2024, 01:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,416 Times in 4,387 Posts

Been there once for dinner. Never even noticed the decor, as I was more interested in the food and friends with us at the table...

I was NOT disappointed. It will definitely enter our rotation...

-Tom Petty
Old 05-08-2024, 02:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,327 Times in 2,852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Is it golf cart accessible?
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Yes, it is in the Lake Deaton Plaza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Yes. It’s in Lake Deaton Plaza. If you know where Piesano’s is, it’s at the opposite end of the shopping center. All the way to the right as looking from 44.

We’ve eaten there several times. We enjoy more than most restaurants here.
Thanks for the replies. Sushi and Sashimi are my favorites. Take out at Sakura is my go to, but I will definitely try Kumo next time I’m in that area : )
Old 05-08-2024, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,006 Times in 5,370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulajr View Post
There are lots of booths…not sure what the issue is. Decor and service is amazing…our go to place!
When They first opened, I don't think they had any booths or decor. Maybe they have added them.

Tags
hibachi, lunch, shrimp, sushi, order

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.