Kung fu chef

Closed Thread
Old 06-14-2023, 01:21 PM
Platinum member
Default Kung fu chef

///

Last edited by patfla06; 08-25-2023 at 04:20 AM.
Old 06-14-2023, 01:33 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,640 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post
We had lunch at Kung Fu Chef ( Southern Trace ) today.
I’m from NY. so really picky about Chinese food.

We loved Kung Fu Chef!!

Husband got Gen. Tso’s chicken with rice & broccoli
and egg roll. I got Chicken LoMein with a spring roll.
Both were delicious!!

Egg roll good (I didn’t like it because I think it had pork)
but it was good. His Gen. Tso’s was sooooo good.
My LoMein and Spring roll were delicious.

I’ve been bringing Chinese food from Tampa where I
previously lived and Kung Fu was even better.

We will be repeat customers.
Thanks for posting - I’ve heard from others that Kung Fu is pretty good.

I spent my early adulthood in San Francisco, and got spoiled on authentic and very good Chinese (mostly Cantonese and Hong Kong style). After leaving the Bay Area, I have found most Chinese restaurants lacking, and very “Americanized” with sugary and corn-starch-laden sauces. I finally bought a good wok and self-taught myself to cook good, authentic Chinese dishes, since I wasn’t finding that in most “Chinese” restaurants.

I’m going to try Kung Fu tonight, and will report back.
Old 06-14-2023, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

They used to own Kayame which we enjoyed.

Been to Kung Fu thought food excellent and we will be back.
Old 06-14-2023, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

My brother and I had my 2-24 birthday lunch there and we both really enjoyed the food.
Old 06-14-2023, 04:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
Thanks for posting - I’ve heard from others that Kung Fu is pretty good.

I spent my early adulthood in San Francisco, and got spoiled on authentic and very good Chinese (mostly Cantonese and Hong Kong style). After leaving the Bay Area, I have found most Chinese restaurants lacking, and very “Americanized” with sugary and corn-starch-laden sauces. I finally bought a good wok and self-taught myself to cook good, authentic Chinese dishes, since I wasn’t finding that in most “Chinese” restaurants.

I’m going to try Kung Fu tonight, and will report back.
Here’s my update —

I’m writing this from Kung Fu - Nice, clean restaurant with pleasant servers. Here for dinner. I ordered a cup of Won Ton Soup and Kung Pao Chicken.

The soup had a good, rich Chicken broth base, filled with three plump, meat-filled won tons - I was thinking this would be outstanding soup to have if sick or feeling under the weather. Very good flavor.

The Kung Pao Chicken was (actually is, I’m still savoring it), very good - Large, generous pieces of moist, well-seasoned Chicken that is stir fried with fresh, crisp vegetables. Great spices, and a decent amount of heat (though I like quite a bit of heat). The Sauce was light, and did not over-power or hide the taste of the chicken and veggies. Came with a very tasty fried rice.

I had about given up on Chinese here in TV - the places in the southern area where I live are absolutely terrible - and I have thrown away food from them more than once.

Kung Fu is a pleasant surprise - I would rate a B+ / I’ll be back - just wish it was a little closer to where I live.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Here’s my update —

I’m writing this from Kung Fu - Nice, clean restaurant with pleasant servers. Here for dinner. I ordered a cup of Won Ton Soup and Kung Pao Chicken.

The soup had a good, rich Chicken broth base, filled with three plump, meat-filled won tons - I was thinking this would be outstanding soup to have if sick or feeling under the weather. Very good flavor.

The Kung Pao Chicken was (actually is, I’m still savoring it), very good - Large, generous pieces of moist, well-seasoned Chicken that is stir fried with fresh, crisp vegetables. Great spices, and a decent amount of heat (though I like quite a bit of heat). The Sauce was light, and did not over-power or hide the taste of the chicken and veggies. Came with a very tasty fried rice.

I had about given up on Chinese here in TV - the places in the southern area where I live are absolutely terrible - and I have thrown away food from them more than once.

Kung Fu is a pleasant surprise - I would rate a B+ / I’ll be back - just wish it was a little closer to where I live.
Try Ichiban good buffet with excellent mongolian bbq.
Old 06-14-2023, 05:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Here’s my update —

You mean to tell me you don’t enjoy China Chef in Magnolia Plaza?

I have no idea how that place stays in business.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 06-14-2023, 06:00 PM

We tried it a couple of weeks ago and loved it also! Too bad they are so far away from St Cats.
Old 06-14-2023, 06:35 PM
Sage

Bamboo Bistro is also good and we do like Kayame for takeout when in the area.
Old 06-14-2023, 10:46 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post
We had lunch at Kung Fu Chef ( Southern Trace ) today.
I’m from NY. so really picky about Chinese food.

We loved Kung Fu Chef!!

Husband got Gen. Tso’s chicken with rice & broccoli
and egg roll. I got Chicken LoMein with a spring roll.
Both were delicious!!

Egg roll good (I didn’t like it because I think it had pork)
but it was good. His Gen. Tso’s was sooooo good.
My LoMein and Spring roll were delicious.

I’ve been bringing Chinese food from Tampa where I
previously lived and Kung Fu was even better.

We will be repeat customers.
Agree, we've ordered carry out at least once a week since the opened. Unfortunately, none of these Asian places seem to be able to keep the same cooks indefinitely, and that always changes things seriously. But for now, completely agree with both their dinner offerings and lunches. If you happen to like Mu Shu (chicken, pork, or shrimp) they do have very good Mu Shu. If you go to Ocala occasionally, definitely check out Yummy House if you like Chinese... long standing reputation for keeping same staff same recipes and cooking methods.
Old 06-15-2023, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Try Ichiban good buffet with excellent mongolian bbq.

Respectfully, asian cuisine should never come from a buffet if you truly want good asian food...quantity vrs quality. Asian buffets by nature of sitting over heat sources produce over cooked and soggy veggies...not quality asian food.
Old 06-15-2023, 05:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Agree, we've ordered carry out at least once a week since the opened. Unfortunately, none of these Asian places seem to be able to keep the same cooks indefinitely, and that always changes things seriously. But for now, completely agree with both their dinner offerings and lunches. If you happen to like Mu Shu (chicken, pork, or shrimp) they do have very good Mu Shu. If you go to Ocala occasionally, definitely check out Yummy House if you like Chinese... long standing reputation for keeping same staff same recipes and cooking methods.
I second Yummy in Ocala - very good Chinese - worth the drive to Ocala
Old 06-15-2023, 06:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I second Yummy in Ocala - very good Chinese - worth the drive to Ocala
They have Dim Sum on Saturday and Sunday for lunch.
Old 06-15-2023, 06:40 AM

You all are making me hungry! I know I’m off topic but I’m making a lot of Jamaican dishes lately. Coconut milk is my new best friend! I have a great recipe for Jerk ( not that kind of jerk) paste. It’s from a video from America’s Test Kitchen called Jerk Chicken. You could put this stuff on an old sneaker and it would taste delish!
Old 06-15-2023, 07:03 AM

Koyame was sold and rumor has it the food is not as good. KUNG FU CHEF is excellent! They were the owners of Koyame when the food was just as good as Kung Fu Chef.
Closed Thread

Tags
kung, roll, good, chef, delicious

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.