Love pea pods and all vegetables were just cooked right
not over cooked and mussy
Also love their orange chicken
Glad they're so close by
Old 06-15-2023, 11:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geodyssey View Post
People "from NYC picky about Chinese food"- then first thing mentions a dish (Gen Tso's chicken) that is completely American, is not a Chinese dish.

NYC people believe their own BS.

LOL
I never said I only like authentic Chinese.

We just like Chinese food that is better than the tasteless stuff here in every shopping center.

If you screw up an egg roll and fried rice then that’s not a place I am willing to eat.
Old 06-16-2023, 04:26 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,245 Times in 450 Posts

Went last night. Was very good. They are busy, 45 minutes wait on Togo so be sure you order a head.
We did try the Gen Tso and asked for it extra spicy ️ came out perfect.
Thank you for the post this will be our new spot for Chinese food
Old 06-16-2023, 04:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

So Asian food in our household is held in great respect of the person doing the cooking, and the region, they left in China and Nam, to live in the states.

Visits from each over the last 20 plus years consisted of multi days of wok prep of every food in their memory. Food is consumed, extra made to be vacuumed and frozen, so fond memories continue.

Asian food like deli or southern food is so regional that one finds it hard to find back home ethnic meals once you move to TV.

Sometimes they are good, but rarely does one find the WOW this is just like ————-. That’s reserved for going back to hometown, or a visit from the Asian family. But that’s just an opinion from asianthree
Old 06-16-2023, 07:44 AM

We love Koyame! Kung Fu was good but the lunch service was slow.
Old 06-16-2023, 07:49 AM
Gold member

Something just sounds wrong with the name.
Old 06-16-2023, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default Koyame is our ‘go to’

I’m amazed that Koyame hasn’t gotten more recommendations here. It’s our ’go to’ Chinese restaurant. Not the fanciest decor, but the service is superb. We’ve never had food there that was anything better than fresh, hot, tasty and good to look at.
Old 06-16-2023, 11:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
You mean to tell me you don’t enjoy China Chef in Magnolia Plaza?

I have no idea how that place stays in business.
that is quite possibly the worst chinese food i'd ever had. very bland, tasteless & frozen veggies used in the rice, (you can taste the difference.) thx for the recommendation, i'll try it this wknd!
Old 06-17-2023, 08:10 AM
Default KungFu Chef good choice

Food as others stated is very good - I'd say the best around the Villages and the menu prices are good. Went Friday at 6pm. Yes there was a line. By 7:15 the line was gone so I'd suggest dinner before 6 or after 7. As to Koyame in Ocala - it is very good, better than KungFu, but the menu prices might take your breath away. It is worth the price by the way.
Old 06-17-2023, 08:44 AM
Veteran member

It's about a 25 min drive from Marsh Bend. I wish there was something of this caliber closer… Hopefully someday as they build up south of the turnpike. When I lived in the Minneapolis burbs it was 25 minutes to most decent restaurants downtown.To put it in proper perspective, our summer lake home where we are now it is 35 miles to the grocery store… The ONLY grocery store.
Old 06-17-2023, 08:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
I’m amazed that Koyame hasn’t gotten more recommendations here. It’s our ’go to’ Chinese restaurant. Not the fanciest decor, but the service is superb. We’ve never had food there that was anything better than fresh, hot, tasty and good to look at.
Food is good, been there many time for takeout and always enjoyed it but started doing takeout during covid and never thought to actually have dinner there.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:20 AM

///
Old 06-18-2023, 12:49 PM
Sage

A recurring theme I hear on here is that "Their" food is not real like you get in New York, or China, etc. I've been to New York a few times but never had pizza there, so I don't know what that should taste like. I think Sam's does a good job. I've never been to China, but have been to San Francisco and I thought the Chinese food was pretty good but I've lost the taste for Chinese food to the point where the only thing I really like is Hot & Sour Soup, not those sticky orange or brown sauces.

There was a restaurant in Houston called Kim Son, which served Vietnamese food and Chinese food both. The owners were refugees from Vietnam. They started out on the edge of downtown and eventually purchased a whole city block and built a grand restaurant. Anyway, I grew to love Vietnamese food or what we called it. One day I was in a ladies' restroom at a college and I mentioned how I loved the food at Kim Son to a girl there and she told me she had married into the Kim Son family and the food they cooked was "Americanized," not real Vietnamese.

Now, here in The Villages, I am a big fan of Sakura, Japanese food. I wonder if it, too, is "Americanized." If so, I'll just enjoy and not worry about how authentic any food is, only if I like it.
Old 06-18-2023, 01:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,023 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
... I'll just enjoy and not worry about how authentic any food is, only if I like it.
Bingo.
Old 06-18-2023, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
A recurring theme I hear on here is that "Their" food is not real like you get in New York, or China, etc. I've been to New York a few times but never had pizza there, so I don't know what that should taste like. I think Sam's does a good job. I've never been to China, but have been to San Francisco and I thought the Chinese food was pretty good but I've lost the taste for Chinese food to the point where the only thing I really like is Hot & Sour Soup, not those sticky orange or brown sauces.

There was a restaurant in Houston called Kim Son, which served Vietnamese food and Chinese food both. The owners were refugees from Vietnam. They started out on the edge of downtown and eventually purchased a whole city block and built a grand restaurant. Anyway, I grew to love Vietnamese food or what we called it. One day I was in a ladies' restroom at a college and I mentioned how I loved the food at Kim Son to a girl there and she told me she had married into the Kim Son family and the food they cooked was "Americanized," not real Vietnamese.

Now, here in The Villages, I am a big fan of Sakura, Japanese food. I wonder if it, too, is "Americanized." If so, I'll just enjoy and not worry about how authentic any food is, only if I like it.
We also think Sakura is great but no idea how authentic it really is
Closed Thread

Tags
kung, roll, good, chef, delicious

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.